Subject: [ippm] Protocol Action: 'Round-trip Packet Loss Metrics' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ippm-rt-loss-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 15:46:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Round-trip Packet Loss Metrics'
  (draft-ietf-ippm-rt-loss-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Wesley Eddy and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-rt-loss/

Technical Summary

  Many user applications (and the transport protocols that make them
  possible) require two-way communications.  To assess this capability,
  and to achieve test system simplicity, round-trip loss measurements
  are frequently conducted in practice.  The Two-Way Active Measurement
  Protocol specified in RFC 5357 establishes a round-trip loss
  measurement capability for the Internet.  However, there is currently
  no metric specified according to the RFC 2330 framework.
  This memo adds round-trip loss to the set of IP Performance Metrics
  (IPPM).

Working Group Summary

The normal IPPM WG process was followed and the document has been discussed
for several years.  The document as it is now, reflects WG consensus, with nothing
special worth noting.

Document Quality

All implementations of TWAMP (which is fairly wide-spread)
and Cisco IP-SLA v1 (which is VERY wide-spread) perform
a RT-loss measurement consistent with the metric in this
draft.  This metric is measured more that 100K times
each day (and that's a conservative estimate).  AT&T has
1000 TWAMP end points and 1000 IP-SLA end points making
this measurement every 15 minutes, 96 times per day. 

Personnel

The document shepherd is Henk Uijterwaal, and the
responsible AD is Wesley Eddy.