Subject: Re: [ippm] FW: [lmap] Internet LMAP Draft for Review

From: Jérôme Benoit <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 13:27:13 +0200

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:44:21 -0400
Marc Linsner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > 
> > A new version of I-D, draft-schulzrinne-lmap-requirements-00.txt

The logical architecture is way too overloaded : 

* I see no need to create a specific server for network
  characteristics. I think this can go in a GUI to configure the
  measurement agent, this way the measurement data, the measurement
  definition and the network characteristics are pushed to the data
  collector server, not need for the agent to contact anyone to have
  the network characteristics. The measurement data are acquired with
  all the metadatas needed to do proper data mining. 
* The landmark server should be a derivative of the measurement
  agent. If the measurement agent is not able the receive
  measurement, you will never ever be able to achieve end to end
  measurements.
* You miss one important point which : How will you be able to
  coordinate your measurement agents ? The measurement controller
  as you define it is not able to track agent state, and if you
  can't know what measurement agents are doing, you will not be
  able to run measurement that have strong requirements such
  as : having up to 100 agents running behind the same edge
  routing network element for example. 

That's all (for today). 

Regards,        

-- 
Jérôme Benoit aka fraggle
La Météo du Net - http://grenouille.com
OpenPGP Key ID : 9FE9161D
Key fingerprint : 9CA4 0249 AF57 A35B 34B3 AC15 FAA0 CB50 9FE9 161D