Subject: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 18:38:54 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Model Based Bulk Performance Metrics
	Author(s)       : Matt Mathis
                          Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-00.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2013-06-21

Abstract:
   We introduce a new class of model based metrics designed to determine
   if a long path can meet predefined end-to-end application performance
   targets.  This is done by subpath at a time testing -- by applying a
   suite of single property tests to successive subpaths of a long path.
   In many cases these single property tests are based on existing IPPM
   metrics, with the addition of success and validity criteria.  The
   subpath at a time tests are designed to facilitate IP providers
   eliminating all known conditions that might prevent the full end-to-
   end path from meeting the users target performance.

   This approach makes it possible to to determine the IP performance
   requirements needed to support the desired end-to-end TCP
   performance.  The IP metrics are based on traffic patterns that mimic
   TCP but are precomputed independently of the actual behavior of TCP
   over the subpath under test.  This makes the measurements open loop,
   eliminating nearly all of the difficulties encountered by traditional
   bulk transport metrics, which rely on congestion control equilibrium
   behavior.

   A natural consequence of this methodology is verifiable network
   measurement: measurements from any given vantage point are repeatable
   from other vantage points.

   Formatted: Fri Jun 21 18:23:29 PDT 2013

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/