Subject: [ippm] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ippm-2330-update-04.txt> (Advanced Stream and Sampling Framework for IPPM) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:55:12 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IP Performance Metrics WG (ippm)
to consider the following document:
- 'Advanced Stream and Sampling Framework for IPPM'
  <draft-ietf-ippm-2330-update-04.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-05-12. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   To obtain repeatable results in modern networks, test descriptions
   need an expanded stream parameter framework that also augments
   aspects specified as Type-P for test packets.  This memo updates the
   IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) Framework RFC 2330 with advanced
   considerations for measurement methodology and testing.  The existing
   framework mostly assumes deterministic connectivity, and that a
   single test stream will represent the characteristics of the path
   when it is aggregated with other flows.  Networks have evolved and
   test stream descriptions must evolve with them, otherwise unexpected
   network features may dominate the measured performance.  This memo
   describes new stream parameters for both network characterization and
   support of application design using IPPM metrics.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-2330-update/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-2330-update/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.