Subject: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-registry-active-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 08:46:24 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Active Performance Metric Sub-Registry
        Authors         : Al Morton
                          Marcelo Bagnulo
                          Philip Eardley
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-registry-active-00.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2014-04-03

Abstract:
   This memo defines the Active Performance Metrics sub-registry of the
   Performance Metric Registry.  This sub-registry will contain Active
   Performance Metrics, especially those defined in RFCs prepared in the
   IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) Working Group of the IETF, and possibly
   applicable to other IETF metrics.  Three aspects make IPPM metric
   registration difficult: (1) Use of the Type-P notion to allow users
   to specify their own packet types. (2) Use of flexible input
   variables, called Parameters in IPPM definitions, some of which
   determine the quantity measured and others of which should not be
   specified until execution of the measurement. (3) Allowing
   flexibility in choice of statistics to summarize the results on a
   stream of measurement packets.

   This memo proposes a way to organize registry entries into columns
   that are well-defined, permitting consistent development of entries
   over time (a column may marked NA if it is not applicable for that
   metric).  The design is intended to foster development of registry
   entries based on existing reference RFCs, whilst each column serves
   as a check-list item to avoid omissions during the registration
   process.  Every entry in the registry, before IANA action, requires
   Expert review as defined by concurrent IETF work in progress
   "Registry for Performance Metrics" (draft-manyfolks-ippm-metric-
   registry).

   The document contains two examples: a registry entry for an active
   Performance Metric entry based on RFC3393 and RFC5481, and a registry
   entry for an end-point Performance Metric based on RFC 7003.  The
   examples are for Informational purposes and do not create any entry
   in the IANA registry.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-registry-active/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-registry-active-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/