Subject: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:20:23 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Measurement WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Model Based Metrics for Bulk Transport Capacity
        Authors         : Matt Mathis
                          Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-12.txt
	Pages           : 53
	Date            : 2017-09-15

Abstract:
   We introduce a new class of Model Based Metrics designed to assess if
   a complete Internet path can be expected to meet a predefined Target
   Transport Performance by applying a suite of IP diagnostic tests to
   successive subpaths.  The subpath-at-a-time tests can be robustly
   applied to critical infrastructure, such as network interconnections
   or even individual devices, to accurately detect if any part of the
   infrastructure will prevent paths traversing it from meeting the
   Target Transport Performance.

   Model Based Metrics rely on mathematical models to specify a Targeted
   Suite of IP Diagnostic tests, designed to assess whether common
   transport protocols can be expected to meet a predetermined Target
   Transport Performance over an Internet path.

   For Bulk Transport Capacity the IP diagnostics are built using test
   streams and statistical criteria for evaluating the packet transfer
   that mimic TCP over the complete path.  The temporal structure of the
   test stream (bursts, etc) mimic TCP or other transport protocol
   carrying bulk data over a long path.  However they are constructed to
   be independent of the details of the subpath under test, end systems
   or applications.  Likewise the success criteria evaluates the packet
   transfer statistics of the subpath against criteria determined by
   protocol performance models applied to the Target Transport
   Performance of the complete path.  The success criteria also does not
   depend on the details of the subpath, end systems or application.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-12
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-12

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-12

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/