Subject: [ippm] Proposed modification to draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data-00

From: John Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 16:06:32 -0700

Greetings,

We would like to propose two simple changes to draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-data-00.

Change 1: Extend the timestamp to allow it to support both PTP and NTP. The
seconds portion would remain largely as is, although the seconds would
obviously use different epochs, depending upon which type of timestamp is
used within the in-situ OAM domain. The datatype currently named
nanoseconds would be renamed to subseconds and would either carry
nanoseconds or fractional seconds, for PTP or NTP, respectively.

Change 2: Add a few Edge-To-Edge data types. In addition to the currently
defined 64-bit sequence number, it would be handy to be able to send a
sequence number taking up only 32 bits. And it would be useful to be able
to measure delay (and delay variation) across the entire path, without
having to use the Hop-By-Hop timestamps to measure at every node in the
path.

These two changes have been incorporated into a proposed modification of
the XML source at GitHub, as indicated by this pull request:
https://github.com/inband-oam/ietf/pull/57

An XML2RFC output of the ID with the proposed changes is also attached.

Thank you for your consideration,
John Lemon
Shahram Davari
Rajeev Manur