Subject: [ippm] Document Action: 'Model Based Metrics for Bulk Transport Capacity' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:35:07 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Model Based Metrics for Bulk Transport Capacity'
  (draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-13.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the IP Performance Measurement Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics/

Technical Summary

Technical Summary

    The document introduces a new class of Model Based Metrics, designed to
    assess if a complete Internet path can be expected to meet a predefined
    Target Transport Performance by applying a suite of IP diagnostic tests to
    successive subpaths.  The subpath-at-a-time tests can be robustly applied
    to key infrastructure, such as interconnects or even individual devices,
    to accurately detect if any part of the infrastructure will prevent paths
    traversing it from meeting the Target Transport Performance. Model Based
    Metrics exhibit several important new properties not present in other Bulk
    Transport Capacity Metrics, including the ability to reason about
    concatenated or overlapping subpaths.  The results are vantage independent
    which is critical for supporting independent validation of tests by
    comparing results from multiple measurement points.

Working Group Summary

    The document was extensively discussed in the IPPM working group over a
    period of three years; comments received during a first WGLC (particularly
    with respect to readability) led to extensive changes and a second last
    call. There was no particular controversy in the working group.

Document Quality

    The document has seen thorough review in the working group. The
    experimental methodology it describes has been under continuous
    development by the authors during the document's lifetime in the WG.

Personnel

    Brian Trammell is the document shepherd. 
    Spencer Dawkins is the responsible AD.