Subject: Re: iSCSI: DataRN

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:26:21 +0200

Yes - command restart will have to be just that ... restart.

Julo

Raghavendra Rao <[email-masked]> on 19/01/2001 18:41:47

Please respond to Raghavendra Rao <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI: DataRN

Julian,

> The consesus at the intermediate meeting in Orlando was to drop Data
> Numbering.
> If you have strong object here is your last chance to object.
>

I support the removal of DataRNs. I assume that this will also result in
the elimination of the concept of micro-level restart of data transfer
after
a connection failover with in a session ? Or is that still present ?

Thanks.

-JP

---

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:04:45 -0800

Julian,

The iSCSI draft should refrain from advocating any retry policies at the
iSCSI layer, such as being currently done for connection failures and
digest errors.

I/O retry policies are decided by the SCSI ULP based on the class of the
target. (disk, tape, changer, etc).
For a tape class of device, the SCSI ULP may not wish to retry on an error
[without a prior rewind operation]. In such situations, iSCSI attempting to
retry on connection failures or digest errors can result in problems with
sequential access type of media.

Regards,
Santosh