Subject: RE: New proposal for FCIP ?

From: Ralph Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 04:34:42 -0800

} I understand that there was a new proposal at the interim meeting
} at Orlando, adding timestamps for ordered delivery in FCIP.
}
} Could someone post a pointer to this proposal (if it exists as a
} ID) ? If not, could someone post the minutes of this discussion ?
}
} I apologize if this has been posted already - I could not find
} this on the archives either.
}
} Thanks,
}
} -Sriram

Regrettably, the proposal is still under development, promised for
delivery by Valentines Day.  It was discussed in overview at the
Orlando meeting.  

The addition of time stamps is a part of the proposal.  However,
they have nothing to do with ordered delivery because ordered
delivery is guaranteed by TCP/IP upon which FCIP is layered.
The time stamps are to assist in the handling of R_A_TOV and
E_D_TOV, two Fibre Channel timeout values.

I can't help you with the minutes.

Ralph Weber
Representing
Brocade Communications

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:13:42 -0800

Ralph,

There was a suggestion of allowing multiple TCP connections.  A time-stamp
that resolves to the packet rate could be used as a means of ordering frames
on multiple streams assuming a hold period in the area of RTT.  The
advantage of such a scheme would be from the freedom found in allowing a
fail-over within a short time.  Frames outside the time window are dropped.

Doug