Subject: Re: Coverage of Data Digest when using Header Digests

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:24:38 +0200

Barry,

Considering that one of the reasons to have a separate header and data
digest was to enable data
to carried through proxies, virtualizers etc. the current thinking is that
the data digest will cover only the data and the header (including
extensions) will be covered by the header digest.

Julo

"Barry Reinhold" <[email-masked]> on 21/01/2001 21:50:04

Please respond to "Barry Reinhold" <[email-masked]>

To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
cc:
Subject:  Coverage of Data Digest when using Header Digests

Julian,
     Is the Data Digest intended to cover whatever follows the 48 byte
iSCSI
header? In particular in a command frame which has a CDB > 16 bytes, uses
bidi, has immediate data, and is using both header and data digests - what
would the data digest cover?
                                                             - barry
reinhold

---

From: Mark Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:21:50 -0600

Barry-

In particular, the data digest covers only the SCSI Data part of an
iSCSI message; the header digest covers everything else.  This means
that in an 8k write, the data digest will cover only the 8k, and the
header digest will cover everything else.

Hope this helps,

Mark

-- 
Mark A. Bakke
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]
763.398.1054

---

From: "Barry Reinhold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:49:29 -0500

Ok,
	So if the bidi-read length and ADDCDB fields are not in the data digest
then I assume we have to figure them into the header digest even though they
are located past the header digets. Is that the expected behavior?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 10:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; Barry Reinhold
Subject: Re: Coverage of Data Digest when using Header Digests

Barry-

Hope this helps,

Mark

--
Mark A. Bakke
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]
763.398.1054

---

From: "Sukha Ghosh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:05:25 -0500

Julian,

	In this case of optional extended header (Header length > 48 bytes, AddCDB
having non-zero value), since the digest coverage is through the Header
digest, does it also mean that the Length field will cover the length after
the header extension or the length is all the bytes except the 48 byte
header and the padding bytes?

Thanks

Sukha

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 1:25 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Barry Reinhold
Subject: Re: Coverage of Data Digest when using Header Digests

Barry,

Julo

Julian,