Subject: Re: iSCSI: Connection replacement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:47:06 +0200

What I have on my todo list is a "restart connection" (use the X bit) to
mean do first a logout and then do the login
keeping all the way the same CID.

Julo

Pierre Labat <[email-masked]> on 11/01/2001 04:23:20

Please respond to Pierre Labat <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI: Connection replacement

Julian,

Where
=====
2.10 Login command

Problem
======

In the case where
- the maximum number of connections/session is reached
- the initiator is faster than the target to detect a failed TCP
   connection,

the establishement of a new connection to replace the bad
one will fail.

The Login on the new connection will be rejected by the target
because the maximum number of connections is reached and the target
has not yet detected that there were a failed connection.

In the event of a server adapter failure this problem  will almost
always happen.
As soon as the harware fails, the server open a new connection
using a new adapter. The target will not be fast enough to
realize the connection is bad.

Solution
======

a) in the Login message add a field (RecoverID)  to inform the target
  that this connection is to replace a failed one. The value 0xffff
means
  it is not a connection used to replace an old one.

b) After the login phase, the first message sent to the target on this
   new connection must be a Logout for the failed connection. If not
  the target close the connection.

Regards,

Pierre