Subject: RE: FCIP/iFCP : Guarantee In-Order delivery for FC N/NL_ports

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:20:22 -0500

>In the case of FCIP, a scheme for framing is not to allow buffering in
> user space as perhaps could be said for iSCSI.

Again, that statement is implementation-dependent/specific, and there
may be advantages to placement even when there isn't any notion
of "user space" depending on the hardware and software architecture
of the implementation.  It's definitely possible to build FCIP nodes
that don't require framing support, BUT that doesn't mean that
all nodes will be built in that fashion (the same statement applies
to iSCSI targets, FWIW).

--David
---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:11:17 -0800

David,

For what it's worth, I am not making such fine distinctions.  I was
attempting to discuss a reason for including a time-stamp should such
placement be onto FC media.  (Looking to the day when there is a means to
handle out of sequence frames.)

Doug