Subject: Re: iSCSI : Login Phase Problems

From: Raghavendra Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:29:45 -0500 (GMT)

> The login phase is intended to be driven by the initiator and it is the
> one to decide if only a Login PDU is sufficient or it needs a Login + Text
> PDU. The initiator needs a mechanism to indicate to the target that a Text
> command will [or will not] follow the login command.
> 

What is being achieved by preparing the target to expect a text command after
login ?

It is the responsibility of the initiator to negotiate before getting into
serious stuff - If it does serious stuff without negotiations, or before
negotiations the defaults will take effect.

I don't see a reason to change this.

-JP

---

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:55:14 -0800

> negotiations the defaults will take effect.

Your approach above is to continue login negotiation after going into full
feature phase (as indicated by login response with "F" bit). The draft's intent
seems to be to complete all negotiations in the login phase (prior to login
response with "F" bit set).

The current specification of login phase provides an "F" bit in the login
response. This is of no use and provides no value-add.

( 1) when/how does the target set or not set the "F" bit ? )

In any case, the simplest approach would be to just use a single login command
for all negotiations. Why add all this complexity of login, followed by partial
response, followed by text, text response and then final login response ??

- Santosh