Subject: New iFCP Draft available

From: Charles Monia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:00:14 -0800

Hi Folks:

We have a submitted new version of iFCP to the IETS archive.  In order to
make it more readily available for review we have also posted copy at the
following location.

http://www.nishansystems.com/ietf/draft-monia-ips-iFCP-01.txt

The revised version contains the following major changes:

1.  Annex A -- A proposed extension defining an FC-4 address-transparent
mode for iFCP. This mode eliminates the address translation process at the
cost in scalability. The annex was prepared to articulate the design issues
and to serve as a basis for further technical discussions.

2.  Added explanatory text describing the manner in which a gateway
implementation might incorporate support for FC loops and E_PORTs.  This
does not involve substantive changes to the iFCP protocol but does suggest
ways in which the gateway architecture can be leveraged.  This will probably
be expanded and included in an annex at some point.

3.  Expanded and modified the N_PORT login session model.

4.  Modified the encapsulation to add provisions for additional end-to-end
error detection.

Many thanks to the co-authors for their contributions.

Charles
Charles Monia
Senior Technology Consultant
Nishan Systems
email: [email-masked]
voice: (408) 519-3986
fax:   (408) 435-8385