Subject: iSCSI : Unsolicited Inbound Commands for initiators.

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 20:44:21 -0800

Julian,

Can a Logout command PDU be originated by a target ? If so,
this would eliminate operations like the target sending AEN
with an iSCSI Event Indicator of
"Target Requests Logout on this connection".

In general, what is the policy of the iSCSI draft towards
un-solicited inbound command PDUs received by an
initiator. Which of the following commands
can an initiator receive  :

1) Login Command
(Could be received during device discovery process when
another initiator  on the SAN is discovering its devices.)

2) Logout Command
(Could be originated by targets as a form of error recovery.)

3) Text Command

4) NOP-OUT Command.
(Could be originated by a target to test a connection or to
request DataRN acknowledgement, when the max un-acknowledged
DataRN limit has been reached.)

Specifc elaboration in the draft of the commands that targets are
allowed to originate would be desirable.

Thanks,
Santosh

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:44:49 +0200

Santosh,

We did attempt to keep-up the SAM model in which initiators issue commands
and targets receive them and issue responses. A command is bound to an
initiator-task-id and there are no unsolicited commands.

NOP is a "collapse" of a message (something not bound by a task-id) and a
command/response.

Logout was meant to enable clean termination.

The 2 alternative to kick it off are AEN and NOP and we choose AEN.

Julo

Santosh Rao <[email-masked]> on 07/01/2001 06:44:21

Please respond to Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>

To:   IPS Reflector <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI : Unsolicited Inbound Commands for initiators.

Julian,

1) Login Command

2) Logout Command

3) Text Command

4) NOP-OUT Command.

Thanks,
Santosh