Subject: iSCSI : Task Mgmt Response - "No Task Found".

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 18:20:30 -0800

Julian,

Some further comments on this issue below.

> Section 2.6. SCSI Task Management Response
> ==================================
> The referenced Task Tag field can be removed since the
> "No Task Found" response error is not valid.
> (A Target should respond with an accept for an Abort Task
> request specifying an invalid Initator Task Tag).
> [js]Different people have different opinions on this - even with HP -
> talk
> to Pierre! [/js]

I did talk with Pierre and others as well. We are in consensus on this
issue and the issues on this section are :

a) The "No Task Found" SHOULD be removed. When a Target receives an
Abort Task for a task not in its task set, the target SHOULD return
"Function Complete". Not doing so is violation of SAM-2 Rev 15 Section
6.1 which reads :
"If the LUN supports this function, a resonse of FUNCTION COMPLETE shall
indicate that the task was aborted or was not in the task set." (not in
task set to me implies the No Task Found case that is being listed
seperately.). Also note that SAM-2  specifies only one of the following
return values for the task mgmt response :

i) Function Complete
ii) Function Rejected
iii) Service Delivery or target Failure.

The (iii) value is missing in Section 2.6 and the "No Task Found" is not
required.

b) Since the "No Task Found" can be removed, the corresponding
"Referenced Tag Field" can also be removed, since its description states
"I.T.T. of the task not found" which is no longer a valid return code.

Thanks,
Santosh