Subject: RE:draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-boot-01.txt

From: "Prasenjit Sarkar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:48:04 -0800

I thought that the following paragraph in draft-01 allowed servername to be
represented in both IPv4 and IPv6 formats.

   The "servername" is the name of iSCSI server and contains either a
   valid domain name, a literal IPv4 address, or a bracketed literal
   IPv6 address. If the servername field contains a literal IPv4
   address, the IPv4 address is in standard dotted decimal notation. If
   the servername field contains an IPv6 address, the address is
   represented in bracketed literal IPv6 address format.

The main iSCSI standard defines targetname, we will adhere to whatever is
accepted there.

-Prasenjit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All,

   The field consists of an UTF-8[20] string and has the following
   composition:

           <servername> ":" <port> ":" <LUN> ":" <targetname>

Would it be possible to adopt language explaining that servername and
targetname could be dotted decimal expansions of the IP address in place of
the name.  DNS code for a bootstrap adds complexity.  It would make it
easier if perhaps some symbols could be used to indicate such an expansion
has been made such as .IP6.INT or .IP4.INT suffix where the bytes are in
reverse order with no embedded spaces.

Doug

> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-boot-01.txt

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:48:39 -0800

Prasenjit,

I find this language vague.  If you wish to adopt standards of iSCSI, then
include language that indicates how this expansion is done.  Are bytes
reverse order (LSB first); can you include embedded spaces?  Could you also
perhaps show examples of these expansions using a non-routable IP as an
example.  As the expansion replaces a DNS lookup, the standards used in DNS
would add thrift as the same parsing code could be employed if both DNS and
literal expansions are supported.  These are just ideas, the important
aspect is a clear definition.

Doug

> ------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------------------------
>
> All,
>