Subject: Re: iSCSI: Markers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:25:08 +0200

... oops - the first question - whatever comes first.  The whole idea of
the markerless interval is to allow negotiation.  I assume that
implementers will want to insert markers after negotiating the relevant
parameters - but some will certainly take the easy way out - i.e., leave
enough room so that the first marker will appear well after login is
finished.

Julo

"Venkat Rangan" <[email-masked]> on 09/03/2001 02:13:46

Please respond to "Venkat Rangan" <[email-masked]>

To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
cc:   "IP Storage Working Group" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  iSCSI: Markers

Julian,

Immediately following the initial marker-less interval, what appears on the
stream? Is it the first marker or is it the first PDU?

Also, in heading 19 (page 110), "Default is 4096" would imply the default
initial markerless-interval is 16K, but in earlier section (page 105), it
states the default is 4K.

The marker offsets are in bytes, and the left most two bits are reserved.
So, one would be unable to store a marker for a LongDataWord PDU. We don't
think it's a good idea to send such a long PDU, but providing smaller
number
of bits in marker offsets appears to be a sneaky way to impose a limit.

Venkat Rangan
Rhapsody Networks Inc.
http://www.rhapsodynetworks.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:20:50 +0200

Venkat,

You have a good point. I think I'll give up on the "long data" (I'll remove
it) unless somebody gets really upset that it can't transfer more than
16Mbytes in a PDU.

I will also fix the default to read 1024.

Julo

Julian,

Venkat Rangan
Rhapsody Networks Inc.