Subject: comments on naming&discovery draft

From: [email-masked] (Sandeep Joshi)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:23:54 -0500 (EST)

1) Section 4.2 last line before Section 4.2.1
    "target MUST send any iSCSI-level async on this session,
     allowing the initiator to discover new targets.."

   The session mentioned here is a session to the canonical target.

   However, the iSCSI 05 draft does not mention any such condition
   in Sec 2.18 on Async Message.   In there, a SCSI event (note: not 
   iSCSI) is used to notify availability of new targets.

2) Appendix C, Section 5 "Stateful Inspection Firewall"
   It contains statements of the sort "I dont expect/think.."
   These statements could be rephrased to be impersonal.

3) Section 4.3 Middle of page 17 (After reference to RFC 2608)
   -> "A target can register either its canonical target, ..."

   Multiple references to term "target" is confusing.  It can be 
   changed to refer to the term "Network entity" introduced earlier 
   in the document.
   -> "A network entity can register its canonical target,.."

4) Sec 4.2 SendTargets Command
   The status code 0x42 mentioned is now 0x02 in iSCSI document.
   A similar mismatch exists in some codes listed in B.4.5.

   It might help to just use error names and not numbers to avoid 
   this problem.  [readers can do error code "discovery"! ]

-Sandeep

---

From: Mark Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:58:59 -0600

Sandeep-

The problem you pointed out in item number 1 creates the need
for an additional iSCSI-level event.  Since the discovery of
targets happens at the iSCSI level, rather than at the SCSI
level, how about adding this to 2.18.1 (in iSCSI-05)?

  4   Network entity indicates that a "target discovery" event
      has occurred.

Upon receiving this message, the initiator should use SendTargets,
or whatever other methods of discovery it is using, to find out
what has changed.  Usually, this would be due to adding a new
target.

We will fix items 2-4; thanks for pointing them out.

Thanks,

Mark

>    These statements could be rephrased to be impersonal.

I will fix these.

>    -> "A network entity can register its canonical target,.."

I will fix this as well.

>    this problem.  [readers can do error code "discovery"! ]

Good idea; we will fix this, too.

-- 
Mark A. Bakke
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]
763.398.1054