Subject: iSCSI : SCSI Response PDU

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 15:11:23 -0800 (PST)

Julian/All,

Some comments on recent changes to the SCSI Response PDU in Rev 04/05 :

1) Sense Length has been removed. This field is required and should be
re-introduced. (Can anyone comment on the reasons behind its removal(?) ).

2) There is a reference to Response Data [without a corresponding
response length. Once again, response length is required, if a 
response data is used.]. Response Data is modelled on the FC 
response data and is useless in the current context. 
(The FC response data only contained a response code). 
Any target that wishes to send vendor unique information 
could do so through vendor unique sense data. 

All references to Response Data should be removed.

3) A range of iSCSI Response codes should be assigned for vendor-unique
responses.

4) The spec should state explicitly whether implementors are to use the
REJECT PDU or a Scsi Response PDU with iSCSI Response code to indicate
failure to process a command due to invalid command pdu fields. If the
SCSI Response PDU is to be used to convey this, an additional iSCSI
response code must be added for "Invalid Command PDU".

5) In section 2.5.1, pg 40, the spec states :
"For all these functions, the SCSI Task Management Response MUST be 
returned using the Initiator Task Tag to identify the operation for 
which it is responding."

The above MUST should be changed to SHOULD since a task mgmt command can be
responded to with a REJECT response on a format error. 

Comments ?

Regards,
Santosh Rao

-- 
#################################
Santosh Rao
Software Design Engineer,
HP, Cupertino.
email : [email-masked]
Phone : 408-447-3751
#################################