Subject: iSCSI MIB Object Model

From: Mark Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:12:06 -0600

iSCSI MIB enthusiasts-

While building the iSCSI MIB table structure, we created a
UML (more or less) model for iSCSI, from which the MIB was
derived.  Julian has placed a pdf of the model on his web
site; it is available at:

http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/satran/ips/Visio-iscsi-uml-model-02.pdf

The UML model does not show every table and attribute; it is
meant as a higher-level abstraction, and should be helpful in
reading the MIB, or in understanding how the iSCSI objects
relate to one another.  It has been updated to include a few
fields that are missing in the current draft.

Also available, for those who do not have the previous messages:

iSCSI MIB table structure

http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/satran/ips/iscsi-mib-structure-02.pdf

iSCSI MIB (zipped version)

http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/satran/ips/draft-bakke-iscsimib-02.zip

iSCSI MIB (uncompressed)

http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/satran/ips/draft-bakke-iscsimib-02.txt

Enjoy,

-- 
Mark A. Bakke
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]
763.398.1054

---

From: "Jim Hafner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:48:54 -0800

Folks,

Just to fill in a couple of things:
1) There is a move afoot in T10 to add some functions related to these LU
inventory topics.  There is a move to work on a bridge controller command
set (George Penokie (Tivoli) and Robert Elliot (Compaq)). Such a command
set would have ways of asking the bridge controller "what it is bridging".
Additional George Penokie is pushing a set of proposals for getting other
device level configuration information from a target (stuff like Logical
unit inventory).

2) If your SCSI Target supports the Access Controls (approved for inclusion
in SPC-3), there is a service action called "REPORT LU DESCRIPTORS" which
essentially is a mechanism to get an inventory of all the logical units in
the target device (technically as managed by the access controlls
coordinator in the device).  This is as a management type command, and is
not subject to LUN Mapping constraints.   This inventory information
includes "default LUN value", VPD page83 LU WWUnique identifier, "Device
Identifer" (as set by command) and, for disks the read capacity
information.

Jim Hafner