Subject: Re: Retry question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:23:36 +0200

Yes - but it is not mandatory to follow. It is meant as a hint.

Julo

Mallikarjun C <[email-masked]> on 22/03/2001 07:24:44

Please respond to Mallikarjun C <[email-masked]>

To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
cc:
Subject:  Retry question

Julian,

A quick question.

I interpret the current draft to mean the following:

Retry bit doesn't mean retransferring the entire data
always, it may mean partial data transfers.  The
EndDataSN in the command PDU is meant to help achieve
this.

Can you please confirm?

Thanks!

Mallikarjun

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
Networked Storage Architecture
Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail.
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

---

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:52:37 -0800

It looks like Rev 05 does support partial data recovery and the target
can send back either all the data or data starting from EndDataSN on a
"retry" command.

I thought the Orlando consensus was to perform error recovery at command
granularity and not do partial data re-transmission (?).

Quoting from David Black's mail
(http://ips.pdl.cs.cmu.edu/mail/msg03221.html) :

"- DataSN (formerly DataRN) functionality will be removed.  Error
   recovery is now at the granularity of commands, not within a
   command."

Regards,
Santosh