Subject: RE: iSCSI: Need to Kill Session from Surviving Node

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:26:44 -0500

> What I was trying to get at is ---  trying to enable the
> Surviving Node (which has no TCP/IP state from the Failing
> node) to get the Initiator, which had a previous Session with
> the Failing Node to take actions right away, and not wait
> for its TCP/IP connections with the Failed Node to Time Out.
> (This requires some sort of a message from the Surviving
> node back to an Initiator.) This is not quite what we have
> defined into iSCSI.

Since this is a TCP problem (get the connection to close),
iSCSI may not need to do anything ... what about failing over
the IP address and responding with ICMP Destination Unreachable
to anything that arrives on that failed-over IP address?
Implementations of this probably need to support multiple
IP addresses on a single network interface, which is not a
big deal.

--David
---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:42:09 -0800

David,

That would seem to make the problem worse.  Due to a single digest error,
you dump the entire lot connected to an IP?

Doug