Subject: RE: FCIP iFCP encapsulation proposal

From: Robert Snively <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:19:01 -0800

Sorry, I think we have a severe case of red herring here.  Any number of
unlikely scenarios has been hypothesized, none of which (assuming
there is any security in creating a TCP/IP connection at all) will
cause any useful or dangerous behavior in either a SCSI target or
a SCSI initiator.

As an example, the information transmitted by FTP is first processed into 
FTP messages, which are then inserted on IP transfer units, which are
then placed into Ethernet or other transport frames.  Those frames
have addressing which routes them to a destination.  The IP layer
unpackages the IP units, which are in turn unpackaged into FTP units
for treatment by an FTP protocol only.

Even if you delivered an FTP string transferring a bit-level trace 
to an FCIP device (not normally
possible, because there would have had to be a TCP/IP connection formed
between the FTP emitter and the FCIP receiver) the FTP encapsulation of
the data could never be interpreted as legal SCSI commands by 
a SCSI device.  The FTP string would not invoke the necessary 
valid responses for the statefully responding SCSI device.

Bob

---

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:29:07 -0800

Bob,

Such data could be stored in a binary file and this image could be relayed
within the encapsulation as components of this file image.

Doug