Subject: iscsi: rev 05 (2.18, Asynchronous Events)

From: Ralph Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:57:52 -0600

There's a typo in 2.18:

   Some Asynchronous Messages are strictly related to iSCSI
   while others are related to SCSI [SAM-2}. ...

Probably should be "[SAM-2]".

The following list is at best misguided and at worst totally
misleading.

2.18.2 SCSI Event

   The following values are defined.  (See [SAM2] for details):

      1    An error condition was encountered after command
           completion.
      2    A newly initialized device is available to this initiator.
      3    Some other type of unit attention condition has occurred.
      4    An asynchronous event has occurred.

There are either hundreds of entries in this list (one for every
possible unit attention condition in SCSI), or there are two:

      1 A SCSI asynchronous event is NOT reported in the sense data, or
      2 A SCSI asynchronous event IS reported in the sense data.

Picking a few favorite conditions to report in this way suggests that
they are the only ones that need to be reported this way, and if the
Control mode page is set correctly that is an absolutely bogus
assertion.

Note also that what ever asynchronous condition exists is fully
described by the sense data, leaving one to ask what a recipient
is to do if the SCSI Event data fails to match the sense data.

This needs to be fixed and I strongly recommend the binary-state
solution.

Thanks.

Ralph...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:13:54 +0200

The new text reads:

1.1.1     iSCSI Event

   The codes used for iSCSI Asynchronous Messages (Events) are:

      0    No iSCSI Event
      1    Target is being reset.
      2    Target requests Logout - the Parameter1 field indicates on what
      CID.
      3    Target indicates it will/has dropped the connection - the
      Parameter1 field will indicate on what CID while the Parameter2 field
      indicates, in seconds, the minimum time to reconnect.

1.1.2     SCSI Event

      0    No SCSI Asynchronous Event is reported.
      1    A SCSI Asynchronous Event is reported in the sense data.

   Sense Data that accompanies the report identifies the condition.  The
   Length parameter is set to the length of the Sense Data.

   Thanks,
   Julo

Ralph Weber <[email-masked]> on 13/03/2001 05:57:52

Please respond to [email-masked]

To:   IPS Reflector <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  iscsi: rev 05 (2.18, Asynchronous Events)

There's a typo in 2.18:

2.18.2 SCSI Event

Thanks.

Ralph...