Subject: iSCSI: Parameter Negotiation (draft -05)

From: Steve Senum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:38:34 -0600

Julian:

I have a question on the following text in section 4.3:

 Operational parameter negotiation MAY involve several request-
 response exchanges (login and/or text) always driven by the 
 initiator. The initiator MUST indicate its intent to terminate the 
 negotiation by setting the F bit to 1; the target sets the F bit to 1 
 on the last response. The last response must be the Login Response. 
 If the target responds to a text or Login command with the F bit set 
 to 1, with a text response with the F bit set to 0, or a login 
 response with the text bit set to 0, the initiator must keep sending 
 the text command (even empty) with the F bit set to 1 until it gets 
 the Login Response with the F bit set to 1. 

Is the target allowed to introduce a parameter into the negotiation
process?  That is, is the following sequence valid:

Text Cmd, F=1 I -> A=<a> B=<b>
Text Rsp, F=0 T -> A=<a> B=<b> C=<c>

If not, when would the target ever want to
response with F=1 to a F=0 Text Command in
the operational parameter negotiation phase?

I know there was a thread on this before, but it was
not clear to me how it was resolved.

Thanks,
Steve Senum

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:24:09 +0200

Steve,

Yes a target may introduce a parameter or continue negotiating. This might
be the reason it answers
with F=0 to an initiator that set F=0. As a response the initiator may
resume negotiating and send text with F=0 or 1.
In any case a target PDU with F=1 is correct only after an initiator has
sent a PDU with F=1 except for errors (like a login reject).

Regards,
Julo

Steve Senum <[email-masked]> on 29/03/2001 01:38:34

Please respond to Steve Senum <[email-masked]>

To:   ietf-ips <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI: Parameter Negotiation (draft -05)

Julian:

Thanks,
Steve Senum