Subject: Re: iSCSI: session login and ISID

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:21:49 +0300

WWUI can be presented during login phase (2.10.9 is correct and in-line
with 1.2.7) Two sesions can have the same ISID but will have different
TSID. The question of whether more than one session should be allowed
between a pair of wuis is under debate.

Julo

[email-masked] (Sandeep Joshi) on 09/04/2001 20:27:46

Please respond to [email-masked] (Sandeep Joshi)

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI: session login and ISID

There seems to be a problem in distinguishing session logins, using
only the ISID field in the Login Command.   It is possible that
different initiators could try to start a session using the same ISID
value.   One of those attempts will get rejected, since the ISID is
the sole key to find if a session already exists. (note: TSID was
sent as zero for the leading connection of session)

The initiator WWUI does not seem to be available at this time.
a) Appendix D.10 states that InitiatorWWUI is optional and defaults
   to iSCSI.
b) Section 2.10.9 on Login Command states that "initiator MAY provide
   some basic parameters".

On the other hand, Section 1.2.7 states that "the initiator MUST
present both its initiator WWUI and target WWUI to which it wishes
to connect during the login phase".

The WWUI is also needed if we are to support multiple I_T nexuses
between the same initiator and target.

So it seems like Section 1.2.7 has the right spec.   Appendix D and
Section 2.10.9 must then be corrected.  The descriptions in Sec 4.1
and Section 1.2.3 may also need to be changed to reflect the fact
that initiator WWUI must be supplied at session login.

-Sandeep

---

From: Pierre Labat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:12:22 -0700

> between a pair of wuis is under debate.

I think that several sessions should be allowed between a pair of wwuis
at least to handle the simple case where the initiator and the target have

two adapters each and each session wants to use a pair of adapter.

Regards,

Pierre

---

From: "Somesh Gupta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:57:04 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 4:22 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: iSCSI: session login and ISID
> 
> 
> 
> 

Why are we debating this? Multiple sessions (one
connection per session) is a simpler, more robust and higher
performance model than multiple connections per session.

Somesh
> that initiator WWUI must be supplied at session login.

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com