Subject: draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-rqmts-02.txt

From: "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:03:48 -0700

I've posted a new revision of the iSCSI Requirements Doc to the internet
drafts.  It is posted on Julian's website, the URL is
http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/satran/ips/draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-rqmts-02.txt

Please review this document before the IPS interim meeting in Nashua
(5/1/01) - we will have an informal call for consensus to submit this
document as an informational RFC.

Marjorie Krueger
Networked Storage Architecture
Networked Storage Solutions Org.
Hewlett-Packard
tel: +1 916 785 2656
fax: +1 916 785 0391
email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:42:30 -0700

Marjorie,

XML?

Pg 6.
    "(5)  Development of specifications for iSCSI device management as MIBs,
         XML schemas, etc."

XML is a method for data markup.  Hopefully a URN assigned by IANA will
become the XML Namespace's name.  Standard practice within W3C is to not use
PUBLIC identifiers and instead use 'well known' SYSTEM identifiers.  Is an
XML schema in lieu of an LDAP schema to allow use of XML namespace?

Pg 4.
   "The format for the iSCSI names MUST use existing naming authorities.

   An iSCSI name SHOULD be a human readable string in an international
   character set encoding.

   Standard internet lookup services SHOULD be used to resolve iSCSI names."

Pg 7.

   "The iSCSI protocol MUST provide a means of identifying an iSCSI storage
   device by a unique identifier that is independent of the path on which it
   is found.  This name will be used to correlate alternate paths to the
same
   device.  The format for the iSCSI names MUST use existing naming
   authorities, to avoid creating new central administrative tasks.  An
iSCSI
   name SHOULD be a human readable string in an international character set
   encoding."

Would a naming authority include XML?  Why was an XML schema chosen over an
LDAP schema as follow on documentation.  XML is relatively new compared to
LDAP and will require coordination with W3C standards bodies.

Example of XML data types:

<!NOTATION string
   SYSTEM "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes/string">
<!NOTATION number
   SYSTEM "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes/number">
<!NOTATION int
   SYSTEM "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes/int">

The associated URI may be some other notation. Optionally, such referents
may be Java classes, XSL stylesheets, et. al.

For a XML schema example see:
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd

Doug