Subject: RE: Target Reset

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:20:31 -0700

This is at least better.  But I do not have the issue of it being vendor
unique.  This is a shut down and restart of the complete Target, and will
probably be part of the vendors' operator console or their own remote
support functions, it is not clear that it needs to be a general management
function that works the same on all iSCSI Storage Controllers.

Many of the major Storage Controller do not support this feature today.

I do not believe that most SNMP implementations are very secure.  Most
folks do not want to have a changeable MIB until they have secure SNMP, and
even though there is a version of SNMP that has security features, this has
not been well supported.

I do NOT think that Target Reset should be in the base iSCSI protocol, but
I think it is reasonable to hold this discussion apart from the base
protocol document, and the question should be asked if this is a general
management function or a vendor specific console or remote support
function.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
(408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Internet address: [email-masked]

"Dillard, David" <[email-masked]>@ece.cmu.edu on 04/22/2001
08:13:49 AM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  RE: Target Reset

John,

I understand the danger of issuing a target reset and I agree that it
should
not be a part of the an initiator's normal error recovery procedure.
However, looking at this from a management perspective I'd like to see a
standardized way of resetting a target.  I don't want to see a variety of
vendor unique methods of resetting targets sprout up.

If resetting a target using the protocol is not desirable from your
perspective would incorporating this feature into the MIB be acceptable?
(MIBs are for management after all)

----------------------------------------------------------------
David Dillard                          [email-masked]
Management Software Group
Adaptec, Inc.                          www.adaptec.com

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hufferd [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2001 4:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Target Reset

I thought we had a number of discussion previously about Target Reset (Warm
or Cold).  I thought there was general feeling that this command is so
dangerous that it should not be supported by iSCSI.  The long distance
capability of iSCSI makes the risks involved unmanageable.  There should
only be an Admin way to do this.

Some folks have said that we could permit it and have special authorization
etc.  This would probably cause a separate section in the spec. to define
the authorization approach,  and what ever other security is needed to
prevent this from inappropriately being used.  All for what purpose?  This
can not be part of error recovery from a normal initiator.  The wide spread
effect is too great for that.

I would like to hear from the list about their feeling on this item.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
(408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Internet address: [email-masked]

---

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:44:05 -0400

I am wondering how clustering will work on NT without some sort of reset.

On parallel SCSI, NT will issue a SCSI BUS RESET to break reservations
during a challenge for the quorum drive.

On iSCSI, there is no full equivalent to the SCSI BUS RESET so I would
assume the NT driver would have to issue a TARGET RESET to each target that
it is supporting.

How would you propose this would be done without a TARGET RESET?

Eddy

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:36:19 -0700

John,

This problem remains an architectural dilemma.  We have yet to provide a
means of establishing authority within the iSCSI domain.  Should this become
possible, then an error reported "Not Authorized" becomes a standard way of
excluding commands.

Doug