Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-reqmts-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:18:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Storage Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: iSCSI Requirements and Design Considerations
	Author(s)	: M. Krueger
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-reqmts-03.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 20-Apr-01
	
The IP Storage Working group is chartered with developing comprehensive 
technology to transport block storage data over IP protocols.  This effort includes
a protocol to transport the Small Computer Systems Interface (SCSI) protocol over
the internet (iSCSI).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-reqmts-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-reqmts-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-reqmts-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:31:04 -0700

> On page 18,
>  "The iSCSI protocol document SHOULD NOT define the management
>   architecture for iSCSI within the network infrastructure."
> 
>  What does this mean?
> 
> I think it means that the iSCSI protocol document SHOULD NOT 
> define the
> management architecture.  The management architecture may be 
> defined within
> in a separate document.
> 
> I do not understand the phrase 'within network infrastructure.'

My tendency to want to distill a concept into the most concise, least wordy
expression has perhaps left *this* concept too meagerly defined. :-)

"management architecture within a network infrastructure" refers to the
concept that iSCSI will be yet another resource service within a complex
environment of network resources (printers, file servers, NAS, application
servers, etc).  There will certainly be efforts to design how the "block
storage service" that iSCSI devices provide will be integrated into a
comprehensive, shared model, network management environment.  A "network
administrator" (or "storage administrator") will desire to have integrated
applications for assigning user names, resource names, etc. and indicating
access rights.  iSCSI devices presumably will want to interact with these
integrated network management applications.  The iSCSI protocol document
will not attempt to solve that set of problems, or specify means for devices
to provide management agents.  In fact, there should be no mention of MIBs
or any other means of managing iSCSI devices as explicit references in the
iSCSI protocol document, because MIBs and management descriptions and
protocols change with the needs of the environment and the business models
of the management applications.

Marj