Subject: iSCSI:2.11.5 TSID

From: "Barry Reinhold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:24:25 -0400

Julian,

Section 2.11.5 states:

"The TSID is an initiator identifying tag set by the target.  A 0 in
   the returned TSID indicates that either the target supports only a
   single connection or that the ISID has already been used as a leading
   ISID. In both cases, the target rejects the login."

I have a question on this, but I'm not sure if it is an editorial or
technical issue.

If the login PDU arrives with an ISID that has "already been used as a
leading ISID" I am assuming that the TSID in this PDU must be zero. (A
leading ISID is an ISID in a LOGIN request PDU that has the TSID set to zero
and hence established a new connection)

In this case how does the target know that the ISID has already been used as
a leading ISID? There is no connection context if TSID = 0 and, for the
target, the ISID is only meaningful within a session.

If my assumption about TSID = 0 is wrong, and TSID is not zero then I would
suggest the following editorial change:

"TSID is a session identifying tag established by the target. The taget MUST
return a value of 0 in the TSID field if the TSID specified in the login
request identified a session for which no more connections are allowed."

[Note: The goal of the editorial comment is to make it clear that the error
conditon being discussed here is a login request with a non zero TSID that
can not be satisfied]

Barry Reinhold
Principal Architect
Trebia Networks
[email-masked]
603-868-5144/603-659-0885/978-929-0830 x138

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:58:00 +0200

Barry,

You are right - this is editorial and it is here from a very old version.
It was already raised and I fixed it.

It reads now:

   The TSID is an initiator identifying tag set by the target.  It is valid
   only if the connection is accepted.

Code 0206 identifies now the error.

Julo

"Barry Reinhold" <[email-masked]> on 02/04/2001 18:24:25

Please respond to "Barry Reinhold" <[email-masked]>

To:   "ISCSI" <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI:2.11.5 TSID

Julian,

Section 2.11.5 states:

If the login PDU arrives with an ISID that has "already been used as a
leading ISID" I am assuming that the TSID in this PDU must be zero. (A
leading ISID is an ISID in a LOGIN request PDU that has the TSID set to
zero
and hence established a new connection)

In this case how does the target know that the ISID has already been used
as
a leading ISID? There is no connection context if TSID = 0 and, for the
target, the ISID is only meaningful within a session.

"TSID is a session identifying tag established by the target. The taget
MUST
return a value of 0 in the TSID field if the TSID specified in the login
request identified a session for which no more connections are allowed."

Barry Reinhold
Principal Architect
Trebia Networks