Subject: Target Reset

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 01:59:03 -0700

I thought we had a number of discussion previously about Target Reset (Warm
or Cold).  I thought there was general feeling that this command is so
dangerous that it should not be supported by iSCSI.  The long distance
capability of iSCSI makes the risks involved unmanageable.  There should
only be an Admin way to do this.

Some folks have said that we could permit it and have special authorization
etc.  This would probably cause a separate section in the spec. to define
the authorization approach,  and what ever other security is needed to
prevent this from inappropriately being used.  All for what purpose?  This
can not be part of error recovery from a normal initiator.  The wide spread
effect is too great for that.

I would like to hear from the list about their feeling on this item.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
(408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Internet address: [email-masked]

---

From: "Dillard, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:13:49 -0400

John,

I understand the danger of issuing a target reset and I agree that it should
not be a part of the an initiator's normal error recovery procedure.
However, looking at this from a management perspective I'd like to see a
standardized way of resetting a target.  I don't want to see a variety of
vendor unique methods of resetting targets sprout up.

If resetting a target using the protocol is not desirable from your
perspective would incorporating this feature into the MIB be acceptable?
(MIBs are for management after all)

----------------------------------------------------------------
David Dillard                          [email-masked]
Management Software Group
Adaptec, Inc.                          www.adaptec.com

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hufferd [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2001 4:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Target Reset

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd