Subject: RE: LDAP and XML (RE: iSCSI Naming: WWUIs, URNs, and namespaces)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:27:34 -0400

Doug,

> In my defense, whatever the database and whatever the function, it must be
> related to the iSCSI architecture for it to belong within the IPS efforts.
> This was a premise and not a request.  

XML is not a database and does not require a database - a web server
can serve XML from scripts and files.  XML is an encoding format like
HTML, SGML, or even XDR, although both HTML and XDR have
significantly less ability to convey semantic content.  The XML
format can be used to deliver the same sort of management
information as is found in a MIB like the iSCSI MIB.  I would
think the resulting relationship to the iSCSI architecture is
clear and obvious.

> Am I wrong about the over-shadowing concern of a naming server?

In this case yes, because it's not related to the place where XML appears in
the iSCSI requirements document.  The discussion of iSCSI naming is not
relevant in this context because the requirements document does not envision
or require that XML be used in iSCSI naming or name resolution.  Please
make sure you understand the paragraph beginning with "XML is not a
database" before responding to this paragraph.

As to the potentially broader issue of whether LDAP ought to be used/usable
as part of iSCSI naming and discovery, the short answer is
"Send Draft" (i.e., submit an Internet-Draft with a concrete proposal), as
past list discussion has generated no interest in LDAP beyond yourself,
and I don't believe that further list discussion is likely to change that.

Thanks,
--David

---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:35:40 -0700

David,

The phrase that started this line of questioning was:
Req Doc Pg 6.
 "(5)  Development of specifications for iSCSI device management as MIBs,
XML schemas, etc."

XML Schema can be thought of as the subset of the XML-Data submission.  It
provides rules, structures, data-types often used in setting up a database.
I am aware of the ability of this application but this knowledge does not
provide intended use.  My focus is on this structured data and its function
as related to iSCSI.  I will be happy to support an effort to establish
these structures.  Although I see an advantage in reducing the number of
interacting protocols and servers, especially newly developed servers, my
interest remains in seeing the function of conveying iSCSI configuration
fulfilled.  If given no direction, you already know my inclination.  If
there is interest in other mechanisms, the only way to determine that is by
asking.  I do not wish to appear confrontational.

At the same time, I was also trying to understand the implication of the
namespace concerns from the IESG/IAB statement.  Could you provide your
understanding of how this relates to the current
architecture particularly with respect to obtaining configuration?

Doug