Subject: RE: iSCSI Naming: WWUIs, URNs, and namespaces

From: "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:25:39 -0700

> There is a need to obtain iSCSI configuration information in 
> a generalized
> way.  This information should allow the client to find the 
> server using
> existing IP namespace information.  
..snip..

> 
> Marjorie had mentioned that some are considering XML to support this
> function.  You will need some way to find this service.  

You misread that paragraph in the iSCSI Requirements document.  There has
been no assertion that storage devices will use XML to discover each other!
To quote the requirements document:

"... Development of specifications for iSCSI device management as MIBs, XML
schemas, etc"

Device management is much different (and entirely separate) from service
discovery and authentication.  Naming is an a construct for identity, which
is necessary for authentication.

Marj

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:33:29 -0700

Marjorie,

Although there is nothing within requirements documentation regarding how an
XML database scheme is used within an iSCSI architecture, there must be some
relationship either directly or indirectly or it does not belong.  The
aspect of using this database is unclear, so your views in this area are
welcome in relating the function you understand this database fulfilling.  I
simply said there must be some way to find this service with a substratum of
XML in whatever form it takes.  This service should be comprehensive and
provide SCSI related items to allow a client, directly or indirectly, the
means for successful communication using iSCSI.  I did not indicate this
would be used as a discovery tool, but rather there would need to be such a
means in place to allow its use.  Centralized data removes the abstraction
server concept that has been found objectionable.  I was attempting to view
such data in that light.

Doug