Subject: RE: iSCSI Target Reset

From: "Dillard, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:22:00 -0400

> LOGICAL UNIT RESET breaks the reservations with the correct scope.
> 
> According to a WinHEC presentation, the new STORPORT port driver will 
> attempt resets in this order:
> 1. LOGICAL UNIT RESET
> 2. TARGET RESET
> 3. Bus reset 

When will STORPORT be generally available?  The latest STORPORT document
that I found on the MS web site is version 0.6a, dated March 18, 2001.
Given this it seems like STORPORT might not be available soon.  In that case
do you know what happens with the current drivers?  Are we going to be
telling customers that if they want to use iSCSI and NT clustering they have
to update to Whistler?

----------------------------------------------------------------
David Dillard                          [email-masked]
Management Software Group
Adaptec, Inc.                          www.adaptec.com

---

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:24:02 -0700

> telling customers that if they want to use iSCSI and NT clustering they have

[One would hope that this list does not turn into a Microsoft
release/product discussion mailing list (?) ]

Without going into specifics of A certain O.S., does it suffice to
require that iSCSI not break existing legacy SCSI applications ?

If the above is a valid requirement, then, knowing that legacy
applications continue to use SCSI-2 Reserve/Release and the target reset
as a mechanism of breaking SCSI-2 reservations, should'nt iSCSI continue
to support the target reset ?

- Santosh