Subject: iSCSI implementation

From: "Ashish A. Palekar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 12:41:34 -0400

Mike:

A group at the InterOperability Lab at the University of New Hampshire
under Prof. Robert D. Russell has been looking at the performance and
implementation aspects of iSCSI as compared to Fibre Channel and other
SAN technologies. We have developed among other things an iSCSI
Initiator (again to draft-3 specs) - this interfaces to the SCSI
Mid-Level in the Linux kernel. For the Target side, we have developed a
generic SCSI Target Mid-Level, along with a bunch of front-ends (for
Fibre Channel, Adaptec's SEP and iSCSI). Actually we have been looking
for a good open source initiator implementation for iSCSI.

The SEP implementation (both initiator and target) is decently stable,
the iSCSI/Fibre Channel implementations are being worked on. I am in the
process of putting them up on the web.

All code is being released under the GPL license v2. Code is
experimental, buggy and not everything has been implemented. Code has
been tested on Intel machines only at this point. We are planning to
upgrade the code directly to v06 of the draft when it comes out. We did
not upgrade to version 05 because of frame format issues (WN).

The link for the code is:
http://www.iol.unh.edu/consortiums/fc/fc_linux.html

I have put up a copy of my thesis. It contains an overly detailed
documentation of the Target side code. However, it was the shortest path
to getting the information out there.

I do not subscribe to the iSCSI mailing list, so please respond directly
to me if you have any questions/thoughts/ideas on how to go ahead with
development work

Thanks
--
Ashish A. Palekar
-----------------
Fibre Channel Consortium
InterOperability Lab
Rm 201, Jere A. Chase Ocean Engg. Bldg
24 Colovis Road
Durham, NH 03824-3525

Tel. No.: (603) 862 0701

---

From: Mike Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:53:28 -0400 (EDT)

>Mid-Level in the Linux kernel. For the Target side, we have developed a

Our initiator is implemented as a lower layer adapter driver and therefore
also interfaces with the mid-level.  

>for a good open source initiator implementation for iSCSI.

I'd be very interested in seeing your target work, ours is just getting
under way.  Our implementation hasn't been tested yet since we don't have
a target.

>not upgrade to version 05 because of frame format issues (WN).

Sounds just about where we are at.  The only v5 stuff I've added has been
changing the opcode values.

>http://www.iol.unh.edu/consortiums/fc/fc_linux.html

Regards,

-Michael F. Brown, UMass Lowell Computer Science

phone:  (978) 934-5354
email:  [email-masked]

"I wonder if pawns just realize that they're just pawns 
 in someone's (chess) game."   -L. Fitzgerald Sjöberg