Subject: iSCSI : Aborting non-SCSI tasks.

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:27:06 -0700

All,

The iSCSI spec is missing description on how non-SCSI tasks should be
aborted in order to flush stale PDUs of that task. Initiators will
typically time non-SCSI [& SCSI] tasks and will need to resort to some
form of abort and cleanup action on a timeout of the non-scsi task.

This is required in order to safely re-use the task tag resources
without the danger of stale PDUs arriving from a previous incarnation of
that task tag.

The spec should provide some description on how this is to be done.
Perhaps, the semantics of Abort Task can be extended to non-SCSI tasks
as well, to avoid defining a second abort mechanism for non-SCSI tasks.

- Santosh

---

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:01:53 -0400

I started a thread on this once called "aborting an out of sequence cmdSN".
What you mention here is what I was talking about. There may be some
relevant answer in that thread.

My problem was that an ABORT TASK would have to pass to the TARGET layer in
order to abort the task (assuming one thinks the TARGET layer should handle
tasks ... I happen to think that way because you could have different
transport layers all feeding the TARGET layer).

I would also like some clean solution.

Eddy