Subject: RE: iSCSI reqmts and Ethernet adapters

From: Charles Monia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:31:21 -0700

Hi:

Please see below.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Douglas Otis [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 5:38 PM
> To: Charles Monia; 'KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)';
> [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: iSCSI reqmts and Ethernet adapters
> 
> 
> Charles,
> 
> The encapsulation proposal is devoid of techniques for 
> framing.  How do you
> expect to see this lack of framing resolved?  Do you expect 
> to use this
> adapter and not have a means for framing?
> 

No, I don't expect to use any adapter.

Charles

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:21:13 -0700

Charles,

I suspect that I made too great a generalization with respect to networking
in describing hardware as adapters.  If you feel you efforts are in such a
niche market as not to warrant the consideration this effort has on other
networking, then perhaps your application is not of a significant concern.
You would make a good politician.  I suspect however we would make better
progress openly discussing this framing issue as it relates to IPS.

As this was once a hot issue, I don't think it was solved by not doing
anything in this area.  As you are running high data rates, you will be
sensitive to packet loss on longer links as will the next.  The need to do
framing is important.  This need is no less important for your application.
Having a proprietary solution for a specific application was my concern.  If
we do not make headway in this area quickly, each solution will be
proprietary.

Doug