Subject: Re: iSCSI: multiple sessions b/n a pair of WWUIs.

From: "Jim Hafner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 07:43:33 -0700

Santosh,

As I've said, I agree with the sentiment, but that is not the only
implementation option.  For example, why can't the database index on the
pointer to the data structure that has the names, etc, or hash on the names
or a million other things.  We shouldn't spec implementations, only
interoperability requirements.

Jim Hafner

Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>@ece.cmu.edu on 05-08-2001 11:03:27 AM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  Re: iSCSI: multiple sessions b/n a pair of WWUIs.

Douglas Otis wrote:

>  The usefulness of ISID is also
> diminished if the client is not expected to maintain this value as unique
> across all Targets.

I agree with the above and have stated to similar effect in my response
to Matt. A practical usage of ISID within an initiator node name space
is to assign it as unique across all targets, allowing the same ISID to
be used as a lookup key of the session for any given target port/node.

Not applying uniqueness in ISID assignment across all targets would then
require initiators to implement a second key mechanism for target
lookup.

- Santosh

---

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 08:54:54 -0700

Jim,

I agree that the only requirement is uniqueness of ISID among all the
sessions to a given target node. Maintaining uniqueness across all
targets only extends compliance to this requirement a step further and
does not violate it.

All we are debating is David's suggestion that a note could be added to
indicate that implementations may choose to apply this uniqueness across
all target nodes so as to use the ISID as a target lookup mechanism.

If there is strong resistance against adding such a note, then, let us
omit it. [as long as the spec does'nt preclude usage of ISID as unique
across all targets].

Regards,
Santosh