Subject: RE: TCP Framing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 08:31:52 -0400

Matt,

The tsvwg charter contains the following milestone:

May 01  submit ID on TCP framing by a shim to IESG for
	consideration as a proposed standard

So, the answer to:

>  Can the iSCSI spec *mandate* the use of this new
> TSVWG framing RFC in all iSCSI implementations (especially the ones that
will
> be complete before this new RFC is even published)? 

should be "YES" because that new RFC is likely to be published
well before the iSCSI RFC and will be standards track.  This is
an IETF procedural answer -- RFCs only control the contents
of implementations that choose to comply to the RFCs, and
for the example of NT4, that existing code would not comply.
OTOH, one could ask the Microsoft co-author of the tcpulpframe
draft about what Microsoft may/might do.

Of course any mandate (tcpulpframe or markers) requires
rough consensus of the IPS WG.

Thanks,
--David

---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------