Subject: RE: FCIP - Proposed changes in support of common FC encapsulation

From: Sudhir Srinivasan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:00:14 -0400

Only one comment on this. You suggest the following text:

"The FCIP receiving
device MUST reverse the FC frame encapsulation process, verify the
correctness of the header discarding frames with header errors, and
deliver the FC frames to the correct FC ports connected to the FCIP
device."

The part about "discarding frames with header errors" is
confusing because FCIP header errors will result in loss of
synchronization and Section 8.1 will then define the action
to be taken. 

- Sudhir

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Weber [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 5:51 PM
To: IPS Reflector
Subject: FCIP - Proposed changes in support of common FC encapsulation

In the 3rd paragraph of section 4.3, replace:

      Each FCIP data frame is built by adding an FCIP header to one FC
      frame delivered to the FCIP endpoint for transport. The FCIP data
      frames are handed in their entirety to TCP; TCP is responsible for
      delivering the same series of FCIP data frames to the receiving
      side in the same order as they are transmitted by the sending FCIP
      device.  The FCIP device MUST find the FCIP headers and deliver
      the FC frames wrapped inside the FCIP data frames to the correct
      FC ports connected to the FCIP device.

with:

      An FCIP data frame is built by encapsulating one FC frame delivered
      to the FCIP endpoint for transport using the encapsulation format
      described in the common FC Frame Encapsulation [23] and in section
      5.2 of this document.  The FCIP data frames are handed in their
      entirety to TCP; TCP is responsible for delivering the same series
      of FCIP data frames to the receiving side in the same order as
      they are transmitted by the sending FCIP device.  The FCIP receiving
      device MUST reverse the FC frame encapsulation process, verify the
      correctness of the header discarding frames with header errors, and
      deliver the FC frames to the correct FC ports connected to the FCIP
      device.

---

From: Ralph Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 09:20:18 -0500

Sudhir,

Do you think it would be better to delete the "discarding frames
with header errors" part entirely or to reword it to be more of
a reference to 8.1?

Thanks.

Ralph...