Subject: iSCSI: mandating markers (was Nailing down CRC-32C)

From: "m nima" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 11:35:34 -0700

Marker - I'm confused now. Assuming the server side uses 10G and has 
marker in HW, What is the fate of its client running 1G/S and has a 
SW marker?

Repeat of garbled comment (sorry) - I think the key for iSCSI success 
is to make sure it's low weight protocol that scales well even to 
10Gb/S and beyond. For that, everything needs to be computable at the 
receiver, on a per TCP segment basis and not span multiple segments! 

Adding markers, making security mandatory to implement and use of 
Data CRC (as proposed now where it is not friendly with out-of-order) 
leaves iSCSI far behind.

SW support - well today you have to provide your own TCP stack in the 
MS environment. Every vendor that wishes can implement these changes 
in his stack. So I don't see the point about use of legacy. 

I believe, the standardization effort HAS to enable a new way, such 
that one could do a better job (like you said - so that iSCSI gets 
cheaper and better than FC), and framing is a better way for the 
future

Nima

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!
http://businesscards.lycos.com/vp/fastpath/