Subject: iSCSI: SCSI Access Controls "TransportID"

From: "Jim Hafner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:57:33 -0700

Folks,

One feature of SCSI Access Controls (see
ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/document.99/99-245r9.pdf for the core of that
specification) is the specification of an object called a TransportID.
This is an identifier/name for an initiator device or port that can be used
as the basis for logical unit access controls and LUN mapping.  For
example, FCP uses the WWPortname for this purpose.

The N&DTeam has suggested that the TransportID for iSCSI be defined as the
iSCSI Name (of the initiator node).  This allows a management entity to
configure a SCSI controller (e.g.) to present a different LUN map and
logical unit list for each iSCSI Name that is presented during login. That
is, each login from a named initiator device, regardless of SCSI port
(ISID), will see the same set of logical units at the same LUN numbers.

If there are no objections to this suggestion, I will make a formal
proposal to T10 to adopt this at the next T10 meeting.

[ASIDE: I mentioned in my previous note about "formats for long names" that
it is up to the IPS WG to define those data structures in their documents
(and that I was suggesting T10 review those formats).  In contrast, the
TransportID formats have to be defined in SPC-3 (and so approved in T10).
So, I'm asking for review of the TransportID here.  In other words, T10
"owns" the TransportID spec, and IETF/IPS WG "owns" the long name formats.]

Jim Hafner