Subject: RE: iSCSI: Canonical Targets

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:30:16 -0400

Mark,

> 2. A canonical target MUST be accessible at the default, IANA-
>    assigned TCP port on each IP address on which the iSCSI
>    implementation is listening for iSCSI connections.

Think about weakening this to talk about the default port of contact
rather than requiring the one and only IANA-assigned default
port to be used.  This allows more than one iSCSI implementation
behind a single IP address provided that the right ports are in the
discovery information.

This can be amazingly useful for debugging, testing, etc., and even
dealing with stupid firewall tricks (e.g., some http servers ran/run
at port 8080 for this reason - as long as the browser knows to go
to 8080 [in URL], it makes no difference).

--David
---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 14:05:38 -0500

How about this instead:

2. A discovery target MUST be accessible on the default tcp port
   on each IP address on which an iSCSI implementation is listening
   for iSCSI connections.  This default tcp port will often be the
   IANA-assigned TCP port for iSCSI.  If the implementation is
   listening on multiple TCP ports, the discovery target MAY be
   accessible on each TCP port.

-- 
Mark A. Bakke
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]
763.398.1054