Subject: iSCSI: Login Question Clarifications

From: "Kaladhar Voruganti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:06:32 +0100

Hi Julian,
I need your help in clarifying the following iSCSI Login questions:

1) When you interleave Login command and Text command messages during the
login phase, does the last message from the initiator to the target have to
be a Login command message, or can it be also a Text message?
2) The last Login message from the initiator must have the F bit set?
3) During multi-phased login process:
     a) Does the initiator keep the CmdSn value to be constant (say 1) or
does it increase it during each of the login phases (including for
                     the interleaving Text commands)?
     b) Does the target keep the InitStatSN value to be constant?
     c) If you have a login command, a text command and then again a login
command, then how does the target set the StatSN value
                   and the InitStatSN value?
4) The default value for Max connections is set to 8, and the default value
for EnableACA is yes. If the initiator sends a single Login message with
the F bit set to 1 (and it does not specifiy these login keys), then this
means that the target must support 8 connections per session, and must
support ACA. I think that the default values for these two keys should be
changed. Are these being changed in Revision 7?

Kaladhar

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:15:02 +0300

Kaladhar,

1)There is only 1 Login PDU inititiator to target (the initial) but 1 or 2
responses (if there are 2 the first says go-ahead).

All the rest are text exchanges.

2) the last Text (see 1) or Login (if it is the only one) must have the F
bit set to 1.

3)CmdSN is advanced but there can be only one command outstanding (in
general there can be only one text command outstanding) - that makes text
sequences simple.

Your case c is not valid.

InitSN - not so relevant - there is only one outstanding.  Anyhow it should
be increased to keep the mechanisms uniform.

Section 2.11.5 says:

1.1.1     InitStatSN

   This is the starting status Sequence Number for this connection. The
   value is relevant for all subsequent responses. If the login phase
   involves two login responses (a partial response and a final response)
   then the InitStatSN in each of them will hold for the subsequent
   responses. This field is valid only if the Status Class is 0.

   4)Enable ACA is dead - we assume the SAM will have a Unit Attention
   Condition with ACA like behaviour.

Kaladhar Voruganti@IBMUS
13-06-2001 21:06

To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
cc:   [email-masked]
From: Kaladhar Voruganti/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
Subject:  iSCSI: Login Question Clarifications

Hi Julian,

Kaladhar