Subject: Section 4.1 Login Phase Start

From: "BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:45:32 +0100

I'm confused by the following statement from section 4.1 (third paragraph.

"... However, it is OPTIONAL for all the connections after the first. It is
ignored by the target for new connections within an existing session."

If the iSCSI target Name is ignored by the target on all connections other
than the first then why is it optional for the initiator to include it.
Either it is optional and the target should not ignore it (e.g. check the
name against the existing session), or it should not be sent at all.

Thanks

Matthew Burbridge
NIS-Bristol
Hewlett Packard
Telnet: 312 7010
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Stephen Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 18:52:44 -0400

Matthew,

> name against the existing session), or it should not be sent at all.

I couldn't agree more.

A third position would be that it be required, AND checked.

Frankly, I see little point in making it optional.  If I'm an
initiator, and it's optional, I'm not going to send it, because it's
one less error condition (that I may have created) I have to
specifically address in the response.

If we believe there is an important and likely programming error (it
doesn't detect a regular, operational condition, right?)
vulnerability that is detected by checking the target name on
following logins, we should require that they always be sent.
Personally, I don't see such a vulnerability.  This argues for
requiring that target name NOT be sent on following logins.  That is
what I suggested, once upon a time.

Whatever we chose, optional doesn't really seem like a useful
position.

Steph