Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pinkerton-rdma-reqmts-00.txt

From: Stephen Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 18:23:33 -0400

The following Internet Draft may be of interest to this mailing list.

General discussion of this draft should take place on the RDMA mailing
list, [email-masked] (or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdma).

Steph

____________________________________________________________________

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Requirements for an RDMA Protocol
	Author(s)	: J. Pinkerton, M. Krause, S. Bailey
	Filename	: draft-pinkerton-rdma-reqmts-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 04-Jun-01
	
This document proposes requirements for a Remote Direct Memory
Access (RDMA) Protocol to run on TCP and SCTP transport protocols.
An RDMA protocol provides a general facility for extremely high
efficiency (low CPU cost per unit of data transferred), end-to-end
data transfer.  An RDMA protocol enables high efficiency data
transfer by allowing network interfaces with hardware support for
the RDMA protocol to perform zero-copy data transfer directly among
application buffers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pinkerton-rdma-reqmts-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pinkerton-rdma-reqmts-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pinkerton-rdma-reqmts-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:20:00 -0700

Stephen,

Good to see error handling was changed to hit it with a hammer or hit it
with a bigger hammer.  My concern is about the fragility such a scheme would
have.

Doug

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 20:11:45 -0400

> list, [email-masked] (or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdma).

This isn't a venue that is particularly attractive, yahoo costs several
set-cookie events for every page view.