Subject: SAM-2 w/ multiple ports

From: Ralph Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:54:39 -0500

The SAM-2 revision with George's multiple ports
proposal incorporated is available at:

 ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/drafts/sam2/sam2r18.pdf

FYI

Ralph...

---

From: Sandeep Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 18:46:19 -0400

>  ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/drafts/sam2/sam2r18.pdf

R

Ralph,

I had a couple of questions on Section 4.7.5 (SCSI Task Router)

1) "..Any task that is sent to a logical unit that is not known
   to the task router shall be routed to the default logical
   unit (e.g. LUN 0).  

This seems to conflict with the contents of Sec 5.8.3 (Incorrect 
LU selection).  What is the rationale behind this statement ?

2)  "Any task management function that is
   not sent to a specific logical unit shall be broadcast to
   all logical units known to the task router"

Isnt this already covered under specific task functions anyways 
or is it intended to address some new functionality ?

thanks
-Sandeep

P.S. Note that the T10 list has not been copied.

---

From: Ralph Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 05:46:23 -0500

Sandeep,

The responses to your questions about the SAM-2 multi-port

> LU selection).  What is the rationale behind this statement ?

The Task Router cannot form the response to incorrect logical
unit selection that is described in 5.8.3.  Therefore, the
Task Router is obliged to route the task to the default
logical unit, who can form the response.

> or is it intended to address some new functionality ?

The mechanism described is present to provide the routing necessary
to effect the requirements stated in the specific task management
function descriptions.

In summary, the routing requirements in question are present
to make the Task Router an operative participant in existing
SCSI model requirements, not to instantiate new requirements.

Thanks.

Ralph...