Subject: iSCSI: Response codes in SCSI Response Command

From: "Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:10:26 +0200

Current definition states
 
2.4.2 Status/Response 

The Status field is used to report the SCSI status of the command (as
specified in [SAM2]). The Response is used to report a Service Response. The
exact mapping of the iSCSI response codes to SAM service response symbols is
outside the scope of this document. If a SCSI device error is detected while
data from the initiator is still expected (the command PDU did not contain
all the data and the target has not received a Data PDU with the final bit
Set) the target MUST wait until it receives the a data PDU with the F bit
set before sending the Response PDU. 

Valid iSCSI Response codes are: 

0x01 - Target Failure 

0x02 - Delivery Subsystem Failure 

0x03 - Unsolicited data rejected 

0x04 - SNACK rejected 

0x80-0xff - Reserved for Vendor-Unique Responses 

DONT YOU THINK that these response codes be actually mapped in SAM document
and be made as standard to be followed by any protocol. So iSCSI should also
report the same responses as defined in SAM document.

Regards,

Sanjeev

---

From: "Elliott, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:27:19 -0500

SPI-4, FCP-2, SRP, and SST do agree on these values:
0 - task management function complete
1 - FCP specific
2 - command IU/request fields invalid
3 - FCP specific
4 - task management function not supported
5 - task management function failed
6+ - protocol specific

It's too late to try to force any more commonality, as those standards
already exist.

iSCSI has separate command response and task management response IUs (PDUs),

making it a bit different from the other protocols.
 
---
Rob Elliott, Compaq Server Storage
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 11:10 AM
To: 'Julian Satran'; 'ISCSI'; 'Mark Bakke'; 'Ralph Weber'
Subject: iSCSI: Response codes in SCSI Response Command

2.4.2 Status/Response

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:40:15 +0300

Unfortunately there is no such standard and every OS has it's own way of
handling response codes.

Julo

"Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer)" <[email-masked]> on 11-06-2001
19:10:26

Please respond to "Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer)"
      <[email-masked]>

To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, "'ISCSI'" <[email-masked]>, "'Mark
      Bakke'" <[email-masked]>, "'Ralph Weber'"
      <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI: Response codes in SCSI Response Command

2.4.2 Status/Response

The Status field is used to report the SCSI status of the command (as
specified in [SAM2]). The Response is used to report a Service Response.
The
exact mapping of the iSCSI response codes to SAM service response symbols
is
outside the scope of this document. If a SCSI device error is detected
while
data from the initiator is still expected (the command PDU did not contain
all the data and the target has not received a Data PDU with the final bit
Set) the target MUST wait until it receives the a data PDU with the F bit
set before sending the Response PDU.

0x01 - Target Failure

0x04 - SNACK rejected

DONT YOU THINK that these response codes be actually mapped in SAM document
and be made as standard to be followed by any protocol. So iSCSI should
also
report the same responses as defined in SAM document.

Regards,

Sanjeev

 - att1.htm

---

From: "Robert Griswold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:07:42 -0500

I also don't understand the exact mapping that is trying to be implied
here.  The paragraph seems to imply that the Status / Response field of
this PDU is used to report SCSI status as specified in SAM-2, yet the
iSCSI status codes (that can also be in the same field?) seem to
overload the status responses of SAM-2, namely CHECK CONDITION and
CONDITION MET.  I have reread the section, but cannot determine if
opcode 0x01 can have the status flagged as "iSCSI-specific" or not, as
in the Status / Response field contains an iSCSI Response, versus a SCSI
Status.

Bob

Robert Griswold
Technologist
Crossroads Systems, Inc.
512-928-7272

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Elliott, Robert [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Monday, June 11, 2001 12:27 PM
To:	'ISCSI'; 'Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer)'
Subject:	RE: iSCSI: Response codes in SCSI Response Command

iSCSI has separate command response and task management response IUs
(PDUs),

---

-----Original Message-----
From: Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 11:10 AM
To: 'Julian Satran'; 'ISCSI'; 'Mark Bakke'; 'Ralph Weber'
Subject: iSCSI: Response codes in SCSI Response Command

2.4.2 Status/Response 
The Status field is used to report the SCSI status of the command (as
specified in [SAM2]). The Response is used to report a Service Response.
The
exact mapping of the iSCSI response codes to SAM service response
symbols is
outside the scope of this document. If a SCSI device error is detected
while
data from the initiator is still expected (the command PDU did not
contain
all the data and the target has not received a Data PDU with the final
bit
Set) the target MUST wait until it receives the a data PDU with the F
bit
set before sending the Response PDU. 
Valid iSCSI Response codes are: 
0x01 - Target Failure 
0x02 - Delivery Subsystem Failure 
0x03 - Unsolicited data rejected 
0x04 - SNACK rejected 
0x80-0xff - Reserved for Vendor-Unique Responses 

DONT YOU THINK that these response codes be actually mapped in SAM
document
and be made as standard to be followed by any protocol. So iSCSI should
also
report the same responses as defined in SAM document.
Regards,
Sanjeev
At's too late to try to force any more commonality, as those standards
Wt's too late to try to force any more commonality, as those standards