Subject: Re: iSCSI: SendTargets in login or FFP?

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:13:35 +0300

Eddy,

SendTargets can be used in both discovery session and normal session.
Would you please clarify when you think this restriction should apply?

Julo

"Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]> on 24-07-2001 04:15:56

Please respond to "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>

To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI: SendTargets in login or FFP?

The spec says:

  An initiator can log into this default target [iSCSI]
  name, and use a command called "SendTargets" to retrieve a list of
  iSCSI targets that exist at that address

I assume this means the SendTargets would be used in Full Feature Phase ...
the initiator would login using TargetName=iSCSI. That would get into FFP
and then the initiator would use SendTargets= to get the list of targets.
Then, login again with the appropriate target.

The spec says:

  In full feature phase the initiator may send SCSI
  commands and data to the various LUs on the target by wrapping them
  in iSCSI PDUs that go over the established iSCSI session.

That means the target has to do something if a CDB is received to the iSCSI
canonical target. The spec doesn't give any suggestions here. I am assuming
the target would give a reject PDU with a reason of "Protocol Error" (code
5).

Do you agree that this is what should happen?

We shouldn't require that the target enter FFP when it would not be valid
to
send a CDB. I think SendTargets should be done only at LO or IO time and
that iSCSI should not get you into FFP. That would simplify coding.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:36:28 -0400

I missed the new "iSCSI session types" in the new spec. Nauty me ... :>)

I'll study that.

Thanks,

Eddy