Subject: RE: iSCSI: Case-sensitivity in iSCSI names

From: Robert Snively <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:19:40 -0700

I did want to point out one characteristic of this.

	Whatever mechanism you use to assign the names SHALL
	cross check each name you assign for compliance with
	NAMEPREP normalization.  

This gets especially sticky as
the folded cases and the multi-character cases are
resolved.  Basically, I would expect that the name would
get run through NAMEPREP's latest revision.  If it came
out unchanged, you have selected a valid name.  If it
came out changed, you have to either use a different name
or use the normalized changed name.  In either of the
mismatch cases, you must be careful to avoid duplications.

Bob Snively                        e-mail:    [email-masked]
Brocade Communications Systems     phone:  408 487 8135
1745 Technology Drive
San Jose, CA 95110

---

From: Mark Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:23:15 -0500

>         cross check each name you assign for compliance with

True, however most of use will likely just assign names using
digits and lower-case ASCII.  Since those are already normalized,
anything that generates based on this is OK.  Even if I allow
a user to enter part of the name, I can still just do tolower()
and use isalnum() to check that no other characters have been
added.

The place where one would have to run NAMEPREP is wherever
names are generated using characters outside ASCII.  At that
point, your procedure below must be used.

-- 
Mark A. Bakke
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]
763.398.1054