Subject: iSCSI: AccessID text key

From: "Jim Hafner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:48:07 -0700

Folks,

I would like to ask that the AccessID text key be deleted from the list of
supported/required keys.

My reasons are:
1) it violates layering (this is a SCSI level construct)
2) the spec is not complete in how this is formatted.  At the SCSI layer,
it is a 16 byte value with no other syntactic meaning.  How is that
formatted in a text value.
3) it really isn't needed for two reasons: (a) SCSI Access Controls will
(when I get the proposal approved, probably in Sept) define iSCSI
TransportID to be the iSCSI Initiator Name; this name lives above the SCSI
port level (i.e., at the SCSI device level) and so the additional value of
the AccessID (a device level construct) is mitigated and (b) the SCSI layer
can deliver this as needed.
4) it's not clear how the iSCSI layer (in the initiator) gets its hands on
this value, in any case.

I'll admit that early on I was encouraged by the idea that this AccessID
could be sent in login/text, but I've since backed off and changed my mind,
for the reasons stated above.

Comments?
Jim Hafner

---

From: Stephen Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:09:50 -0400

> I would like to ask that the AccessID text key be deleted from the list of

Works for me.  I'd had my doubts about it too.

Steph