Subject: Re: iSCSI: NOPs should not have a CmdSN

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 07:17:02 +0300

Matt,

The current wording enables the use of CmdSN as the vendor sees fit and
attaches meaning only where
it is required.  This way you can invent text commands that use CmdSN!

Julo

Please respond to Matt Wakeley <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  Re: iSCSI: NOPs should not have a CmdSN

To improve clarity, I suggest wording along the lines of "The CmdSN is
reserved for Non task management immediate commands.  Immediate task
management commands MUST use the next valid CmdSN..."

-Matt

Julian Satran wrote:

>    Commands meant for immediate delivery are marked as such through an
>    immediate delivery flag. They MAY carry any CmdSN. The CmdSN is not
>    advanced for commands marked for immediate delivery.

>    If immediate delivery is used with task management commands, these
>    commands may reach the SCSI target task management before the tasks
they
>    are supposed to act upon.  However, their CmdSN is a good reference
for
>    what commands the immediate command was supposed to act upon; to
achieve
>    this function the task management command MUST be the same CmdSN as
that
>    which would have been given to the next non-immediate command.

---

From: "Matt Wakeley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:03:51 -0700

The text is not clear if CmdSN is advanced for task management commands (I
think it should be).

I don't understand what you mean by "invent text commands that use CmdSN!". 
Text commands already use CmdSN.

-Matt