Subject: iSCSI: security conflict

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 14:34:29 -0400

draft 06-92:

In section "4.2 iSCSI Security and Integrity Negotiation"  it says:

   The security exchange sets the security mechanism and authenticates
   the user and the target to each other. The exchange proceeds
   according to the algorithms that were chosen in the negotiation phase
   and is conducted by the text commands key=value parameters.

   The negotiation proceeds as follows:

      -The initiator sends a text command with an ordered list of the
      options it supports for each subject (authentication algorithm,

But a few lines down it says:

      If security is to be established,
      the initiator MUST NOT send parameters other than security
      parameters in the login command.

These two statements conflict because the 1st says he must send security
parameters in text commands but the 2nd says "login command".

The examples clearly point out that security commands can be in the Login
command.

Maybe the above text should be changed to "by the login/text commands" and
"sends a login/text command".

Comments anyone?

[email-masked]

---

From: Stephen Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 16:06:48 -0400

> Comments anyone?

The `initiator MUST NOT send parameters other than security in the
login command' prohibition means that the intiator must not send
operation parameters in the login command when security is being
turned on.  In this case, identity parameters (initiator name & target
name), and the set of supported mechanisms are considered to be
security parameters.

This is to ensure that operational parameter negotiation is secured.

It does not say that ALL security `parameters' (including those used
for the actual security mechanism establishment) must ONLY be sent in
the login command.  Once a security mode has been chosen, negotiation
happens with text commands.

Steph