Subject: Re: Iscsi: Fault tolerance

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:35:04 +0300

How exactly will the clients use the initiator on the server?

Julo

"Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer)" <[email-masked]> on 31-07-2001
18:57:41

Please respond to "Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer)"
      <[email-masked]>

To:   "'IPS Reflector'" <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  Iscsi: Fault tolerance

Hi

Consider a case where the clients of a Windows NT server are accessing the
iSCSI target with iSCSI initiator driver installed  on the Windows NT
server
to access a ISCSI target on NET. So all the clients on this Windows NT
server can share the iSCSI target of this server. In case the server goes
down , will the clients still be able to access the iSCSI Target??

I hope I have put my question peoperly. In case not then please feel free
to
call me at +31 624685051

Sincerely,

Sanjeev Bhagat

Tripace Europe

 - att1.htm

---

From: "Nate Lawson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:05:22 -0700

I'm guessing he means that clients are accessing a server over SMB (windows
networking) and the server accesses its drives through iSCSI.  In that case,
if the server goes down, the drives are inaccessible.

Generally, it would be a bad idea to have the clients also able to access
the drives directly via iSCSI since they would then circumvent the share
permissions the server has set up.  Better instead to have multiple SMB
servers accessing the drives and do failover at that level.

-Nate

> -----Original Message-----
>