Subject: Iscsi: Fault tolerance

From: "Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:57:41 +0200

Hi
 
Consider a case where the clients of a Windows NT server are accessing the
iSCSI target with iSCSI initiator driver installed  on the Windows NT server
to access a ISCSI target on NET. So all the clients on this Windows NT
server can share the iSCSI target of this server. In case the server goes
down , will the clients still be able to access the iSCSI Target??
 
I hope I have put my question peoperly. In case not then please feel free to
call me at +31 624685051

Sincerely,

Sanjeev Bhagat

Tripace Europe

---

From: "Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:17:57 +0200

Julian and all!!

The server connects to the iscsi target (Say just a disk) with the help of
an iSCSI initiator driver installed on the server. The NT server thus shows
an extra physical disk present on the server. The sys admin then assigns the
permission to other clients/users to share this target. The clients can then
access this this disk (iscsi target) or any sharable directory on this disk
(iscsi target)present on the server by connecting to the network.

Hope it is clear by now!! If it is not then please provide me your contact
number and I will try to explain you better.

I am sorry if there is any ambiguity but i cant find better words to
explain.

Sanjeev

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 6:35 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Iscsi: Fault tolerance

How exactly will the clients use the initiator on the server?

Julo

"Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer)" <[email-masked]> on 31-07-2001
18:57:41

Please respond to "Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer)"
      <[email-masked]>

To:   "'IPS Reflector'" <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  Iscsi: Fault tolerance

Hi

iSCSI target with iSCSI initiator driver installed  on the Windows NT
server

I hope I have put my question peoperly. In case not then please feel free
to
call me at +31 624685051

Sincerely,

Sanjeev Bhagat

Tripace Europe

 - att1.htm

---

From: "Robert Griswold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:15:21 -0500

Sanjeev:

What you are referring to (share this target) is conceptually the same
as assigning access to a volume using CIFS, whereby the admin allows
authenticated domain users to get to the file-system of the volume.
Whether or not controlled by iSCSI, FC or ATA, the access to the clients
is always dependant on the health of the host machine that has the iSCSI
drive mapped (and allocated through some iSCSI fabric management).
Windows NT (or 2000 for that matter) does not have a concept of sharing
out block-level access of host attached (whether direct or through a
fabric) drives for client use, that is all done from the file-system
level and above.  What you may be proposing is the mapping (not sharing,
but rather host based mapping) of an iSCSI target through a Windows
iSCSI initiator, out to other iSCSI initiators, thereby making the
original host a sort of iSCSI proxy, but the sharing of the disk to
clients would then be the responsibility of the proxy holder.  

Hope that helps,
Bob

Robert Griswold
Technologist
Crossroads Systems, Inc.
512-928-7272

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer) [mailto:[email-masked]]

Sent:	Tuesday, July 31, 2001 1:18 PM
To:	'Julian Satran'; [email-masked]
Subject:	RE: Iscsi: Fault tolerance

Julian and all!!

The server connects to the iscsi target (Say just a disk) with the help
of
an iSCSI initiator driver installed on the server. The NT server thus
shows
an extra physical disk present on the server. The sys admin then assigns
the
permission to other clients/users to share this target. The clients can
then
access this this disk (iscsi target) or any sharable directory on this
disk
(iscsi target)present on the server by connecting to the network.

Hope it is clear by now!! If it is not then please provide me your
contact
number and I will try to explain you better.

Sanjeev

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 6:35 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Iscsi: Fault tolerance

Julo

"Sanjeev Bhagat (TRIPACE/Zoetermeer)" <[email-masked]> on
31-07-2001
18:57:41

Hi

Consider a case where the clients of a Windows NT server are accessing
the
iSCSI target with iSCSI initiator driver installed  on the Windows NT
server
to access a ISCSI target on NET. So all the clients on this Windows NT
server can share the iSCSI target of this server. In case the server
goes
down , will the clients still be able to access the iSCSI Target??

I hope I have put my question peoperly. In case not then please feel
free
to
call me at +31 624685051

Sincerely,

Sanjeev Bhagat

Tripace Europe

 - att1.htm