Subject: FCIP: PDF files

From: Ralph Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:32:29 -0500

David, Bob,

There are many PDF files generated in relation to the
FCIP work, just ask Larry Lamers he is keeping a tally
of the megabytes.

A pair of TXT/PDF files can be and has been generated
for the 05 revision of FCIP.  Both of these files can
be found on Julian's web site. The text in both is
identical (and the pagination is close to +/- three words).
However, the PDF file contains changes bars.  In the case
of the draft-ietf-ips-fcovertcpip-05 on Julian's web site,
the change bars reflect changes since 04.

Hopefully, change bars are considered non-substantive
by the I-D office and the PDF can still go through.

The development process for FCIP employs several other
PDF files.  In all cases, the text is the text for the
interim draft (and a .txt file can easily be generated
with the same text).  What is missing from the text files
are the working notes and discussion issues.

My understanding is that it is the working notes that
are of key importance to this reflector, and that the
I-D office is not the issue here.

Still, I would guess that the I-D office would judge the
working notes annotations in the PDF files as non-substantive
too, as what the draft says is still available in text form.

What is not available in text form and what I am not willing
to convert to text form in any meaningful way are the working
notes, which as noted above appear to be the critical issue
vis-a-vis this reflector.

One would not put these in the draft and the notes without
pointers to the draft text (implicit in the PDF) are meaningless.

Having heard no objections to posting the interim PDF
files on the T11 web site and mailing pointers to this
reflector, I plan to implement that mechanism following
the interim meeting.

Thanks.

Ralph...