Subject: iSCSI: CmdSN in Login-retry

From: "Wheat, Stephen R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:50:08 -0700

Hi Julian,

My questions pale in comparison to the very interesting security digest
debate.  BTW, I hope David's Pandora's box does stay closed for 1.0.

Section 7.1 states that a Retry command MUST use the original CmdSN.  This
doesn't make sense for a Login Retry.

Is there an exception here?  If not, please briefly explain the logic of a
Login Retry having the original CmdSN.

How does this enter into the debate on whether Login and Login-Text messages
should be sent Immediate?  Has consensus been met on that yet?

BTW, is there an occasional forum where several people meet to thrash out
subtle details, or is this the only forum for questions, tiny and big?
Obviously people can meet FTF or on the phone whenever they want, but is
there a scheduled forum?

Thanks,
Stephen

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:55:02 +0300

Stephen,

Your question IS more relevant than the security digest.

I am not sure that we ever envisioned retrying a Login.  (except completely
restarting it).
The only definite thing discussed  was that a failed Login should leave no
traces (no partial changes).

In 08 we intend to make Login a SHOULD be immediate (the 0 in immediate was
a typo - that I catched only when making it I).
That is already expressed in the change material I've sent out (including
text req/resp and login req/resp).

There are no scheduled phone calls except for some ongoing work on security
of which you are probably aware and updates of which appear on the list all
the time.

Julo

"Wheat, Stephen R" <[email-masked]>@ece.cmu.edu on 23-08-2001
20:50:08

Please respond to "Wheat, Stephen R" <[email-masked]>

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI: CmdSN in Login-retry

Hi Julian,

How does this enter into the debate on whether Login and Login-Text
messages
should be sent Immediate?  Has consensus been met on that yet?

Thanks,
Stephen

---

From: "Wheat, Stephen R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:09:27 -0700

Julian,

Your patience (as well as everyone else's) is much appreciated.

My misdirection (and perhaps others who follow us) was that the X bit in one
message header means retry, and in the Login, it means Restart, just as
2.2.2.1 states.  So, then 7.1 does not apply to Login.  Perhaps I'm the only
one that would ever start applying 7.1 to Login simply because it is the X
bit in action.  Sorry about the distraction.

Thanks again,
Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 11:55 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iSCSI: CmdSN in Login-retry

Stephen,

Julo

To:   [email-masked]
cc:

Hi Julian,

Thanks,
Stephen