Subject: iSCSI - Response/Status

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 20:33:36 +0300

According to the discusions on the list 2.4.2 & 2.4.3 have been fixed to
read:

1.1.1     Status

   The Status field is used to report the SCSI status of the command (as
   specified in [SAM2]) and is valid only if the Response Code is Command
   Completed at target.

   If a SCSI device error is detected while data from the initiator is
   still expected (the command PDU did not contain all the data and the
   target has not received a Data PDU with the final bit Set) the target
   MUST wait until it receives the a Data PDU with the F bit set, in the
   last expected sequence, before sending the Response PDU.

1.1.2     Response

   This field contains iSCSI service response.

   Valid iSCSI service response codes are:

      0x00 - Command Completed at Target
      0x01 - Target Failure
      0x02 - Delivery Subsystem Failure
      0x80-0xff - Reserved for Vendor-Unique Responses

   The Response is used to report a Service Response. The exact mapping of
   the iSCSI response codes to SAM service response symbols is outside the
   scope of this document.

   Certain iSCSI conditions result in the command being terminated at the
   target (response Command Completed at Target) with a SCSI Check
   Condition Status as outlined in the next table:

   +------------------------------+---------------------------+
   | Reason                       | with SCSI CHECK CONDITION |
   +------------------------------+---------------------------+
   | Unsolicited data rejected    | ASC = 0x49 ASCQ = 0x00    |
   +------------------------------+---------------------------+
   | Not enough unsolicited       | ASC = 0x4B ASCQ = 0x00    |
   +------------------------------+---------------------------+
   | SNACK rejected               | ASC = 0x47 ASCQ = 0x03    |
   +------------------------------+---------------------------+

   N.B. Unsolicited data rejected condition is reported used by the target
   only if it does not support output (write) operations in which the total
   data length is higher than FirstBurstSize but the initiator sent less
   than first burst size and out-of-order R2Ts can't be used.

   Julo

---

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:16:50 -0400

Can you list, in the table, which "iSCSI conditions" result in the Check
Condition?

Also, would it be useful to make it clear that the Status and Response
fields would both be set in this case?

Eddy