Subject: [iSCSI] Resolution of management commands and multiple head of queue commands.

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 06:57:42 -0700

All,

iSCSI version .7 is a significant improvement.  Two areas that prompted a
draft still seem unresolved.  Section 8.1 mentions a potential problem
without addressing at least a suggested means of handling these situations.
There are management commands that can not resolve with connection
allegiance alone.  On another point, with no assurance or direct
confirmation of Immediate Delivery Commands (IDC) and the potential for only
a single command resource being allocated by the target, one must wonder how
these commands are to be handled in practice.  Preventing more than a single
command to be sent as IDC would be one solution as there is assurance there
will be resources for only a single command.  If this were to be adopted as
the method of handling these IDC commands, then such a flag could serve to
allow an exception to the command window limit and avoid creating an
overlaid command sequence count that then only serves to befuddle
acknowledgement.  If multiple IDC commands need to be sent, then either
waiting for acknowledgement or sending these commands consecutively where
acknowledgement would indicate quickly status of these commands without the
initiator pondering their status at a point in time where speed of
resolution is important.

Doug