Subject: Re:

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:47:54 +0300

answers in text - Julo

"Trang Nguyen" <[email-masked]>@ece.cmu.edu on 16-08-2001 01:54:56

Please respond to <[email-masked]>

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   "IPS" <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:

Hi all,

Could you please help me with these questions?

1.  Is iSCSI task the same as SCSI task?

+++++
A SCSI task is also an iSCSI task. An iSCSI task may not involve a SCSI
task (e.g., a text exchange).

++++

In section 1.1:

     "A SCSI task is a SCSI command or possibly a linked set of SCSI
commands."

     "An iSCSI task is an iSCSI request for which a response is expected.

     In this document "iSCSI request", "iSCSI command", request or
unqualified)
     command have the same meaning.  Also, unless specified otherwise,
status,
     response or numbered response have the same meaning."

According to these definitions, they are different.  iSCSI task is an iSCSI
command.  If so, then is Initiator Task Tag the same as CmdSN?
++++ no and that is clearly stated in text - CmdSN is irrelent after the
command/request starts executing ++++

2.  In iSCSI version 07:
     "2.2.2.8 Initiator Task Tag

        The initiator assigns a Task Tag to each iSCSI task that it issues.
        While a task exists this tag MUST uniquely identify it
session-wide.
"

Is this Initiator Task Tag the same as the Task Tags defined in section
4.9.2 in SAM-2 (revision 19)?  As quoted from SAM-2: "An initiator assigns
tag values in each tagged task identifier in a way that ensures that the
identifier uniqueness requirements stated in 4.9 are met."
+++ yes +++
3.  How does the iSCSI target use the Initiator Task Tag to process the
commands?
+++ the initiator task tag identifies the command while executing. It
relates data, status etc. to the task. I assume that targets will use it to
tag an internal control block while the command is active +++
Thanks a lot,

*********************************
 Trang Nguyen
 [email-masked]
 *********************************