Subject: iFCP: Rev 5 PDF with markups

From: Charles Monia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:28:18 -0700

Colleagues

In addition to the recently announced .txt file, a PDF of iFCP revision 5
with markups enabled is available from:

ftp://ftp.t11.org/t11/docs/01-495v1.pdf

The text file may, of course, be obtained from the ietf archive at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-ifcp-05.txt

Revision 5 contains the following edits based on the results of the 9/21
Co-author's review: 

Changes Incorporated:
	a)  New security section contributed by Franco Travostino. 
	b)  Deleted appendix  B  (IP to FC connectivity) per co-author and
IPS wg comments
	c)  Stale frame detection -- Added text describing recommended
policy for making a transition to the Unsynchronized state following loss of
contact with SNTP server.
	d)  Following reboot or cold start, added timed wait before the
gateway may initiate TCP connections.  Requested to prevent collisions with
in-flight traffic from previous connections. 
	e)  Specified TCP RST as the means to abort a TCP connection when an
error occurs.
 
Requested changes that were deferred or not implemented :

TPRLO frame size errors:
  
During the 9/21 review, it was believed that additional text was needed
describing the gateway response when a TPRLO frame was received  that
exceeded the N_PORT's max frame size.

In the existing text, the sending and receiving gateways are required to
ensure that the TPRLO frames they generate do not exceed this limit.
Therefore such an error represents a gateway implementation error and no
additional text is believed to be needed.  

PLOGI QoS Issues

It was requested that some mechanism be provided to use QoS information in
the PLOGI as a way of inferring SLA requirements.  In reviewing FC-FS, I was
unable to discover any information in the PLOGI ELS that could be reasonably
used for this purpose.  This change is deferred pending a concrete proposal.

Charles