Subject: iscsi : originating & responding parties in login.

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 12:42:05 -0700

Julian,

I've YET another login question for you :

Please refer the following text in Section 2.2.4 of the Rev 08 draft :

"For numerical negotiations, the responding party MUST respond with the
required key."

When the initiator uses the default settings for a login key (i.e. does
not send the key) and a target does not support that default, it has to
originate the key in its login response to notify the initiator that it
does not support the default.

In the above example, who is the originating party & responding party ?
Is the initiator always considered an originating party for all the
operational and security keys, even if it did not explicitly send that
key in its login ?

If the target originated a login key, say DataPDULength, (and is
therefore, to be considered as the originating party ?), based on your
rule quoted above, the exchange would be :

I -> T : (no key is sent for DataPDULength. Assumes default of 16 units.
(8K).)

T -> I : DataPDULength=8

I -> T : DataPDULength=8  (See quoted rule above.)

The definition of originating & responding party is not clear when
defaults are used by the initiator and can lead to [mis-
?]interpretations  such as the above.

The above response from I -> T seems redundant to me. I suggest that the
draft clearly state who the originating & responding party are when
defaults are used, so as to avoid confusion along the above lines.

Thanks,
Santosh

-- 
##################################
Santosh Rao
Software Design Engineer,
HP-UX iSCSI Driver Team,
Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.
email : [email-masked]
Phone : 408-447-3751
##################################

---

From: "Dev - Platys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:07:24 -0700

Santosh,
My thinking is that in this case, the initiator will be  the originator
(implicitily negotiating for
the default value for DataPDULength).

Deva
Adaptec

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Santosh Rao
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 12:42 PM
To: IPS Reflector
Subject: iscsi : originating & responding parties in login.

Julian,

T -> I : DataPDULength=8

Thanks,
Santosh