Subject: iFCP: minutes iFCP authors' confcall this Fri October 19th 9:00am PST

From: "Franco Travostino" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:49:24 -0400

Attendees:

Kevin Gibbons, Nishan Systems
Charles Monia, Nishan Systems
Inder Monga, Nortel Networks
Franco Travostino, Nortel Networks
Wayland Jeong,. Troika Networks

a) Comments on iFCP, -06.

CM described the delta between -05 and -06. The section on AES (with proper 
I-D references) will be removed should AES hit any roadblock in its way to 
RFC (to be verified at the upcoming Salt Lake City meeting, IPsec WG 
meeting). CM mentioned that the mechanisms for comparing WWNs (e.g., tie 
breaking) are currently under-specified and should rather reference an RFC. 
All participants agreed that it will be good to receive substantial review 
feedback based on -06 from the community.

b) iFCP Security Update

FT described changes that occurred in the iFCP security words while they 
were "massaged" within the security informational draft. Changes are as 
follows:
1) "Conformant iFCP implementations MUST support ESP in tunnel mode and MAY 
support ESP in transport mode" (the MAY was a SHOULD in former iFCP text).
2) "Manual keying MUST NOT be used". (missing in former iFCP text)
3) Signature key authentication MAY be implemented (it was a SHOULD in 
former iFCP text)
4) Aggressive mode SHOULD be used when pre-shared keys are used for 
authentication ((it was a MUST in former iFCP text)
5) ID Payload MUST carry a single IP address and a single non-zero port 
number (there wasn't a port number in former iFCP text).
Changes 2-4 will be immediately retrofitted to the (authoritative) iFCP 
specification text. There was consensus to wait for 1) and 5), with the 
action item (IM the owner) to verify whether commercial, off the shelf IKE 
implementations support this ID payload format.

CM queried about signature key authentication, which is still left as a TBS 
in the iFCP spec. FT recalled that the authors of the security 
informational draft are also waiting for new text on this topic. FT owns 
the action item of checking with that crowd at their next confcall (Tue 23th).

c) iFCP MIB update

KG briefed the iFCP co-authors on the status of the iFCP MIB draft. The 
next revision of the draft will take the official IETF name and will 
restart with -00. As such, it must be turned in by the IETF 52 deadline set 
for rookie drafts. Since Irvine, Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]> has been 
very helpful. The MIB draft is known to compile without errors. The new 
draft will correctly cite rfc2837 for any Fibre Channel definition. In the 
new draft, there will also be a compliance section, and the gateway 
denominations will be removed from tables.

-franco

Franco Travostino, Director Content Internetworking Lab
Advanced Technology Investments
Nortel Networks, Inc.
600 Technology Park
Billerica, MA 01821 USA
Tel: 978 288 7708 Fax: 978 288 4690
email: [email-masked]