Subject: iSCSI: Connection establishment criteria

From: "Nandakumar Ramamurthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:42:24 +0530

Hi All,

Consider the following :
An initiator and a target have established a session ( Leading login has
been successful ).
Thus, we have one connection between the initiator and target (the leading
connection).
Also assume MaxConnections has been agreed upon by both ends as X ( 2 or
more ).

My question is :
What situations/conditions/events make the initiator to establish subsequent
connections ?

From my understanding, one definite event is when the leading connection
goes down,
thus, making the initiator to establish a new connection (for continuing the
session ) which
holds true even if MaxConnections = 1.

Are the second and later connection(s) attempted immediately after the first
connection is successful ?

A seemingly related question on the alias earlier (from the mailing
archives) suggests that connection
establishment/selection is done by an iSCSI initiator to improve
bandwidth/availability.
Does this mean that "when to spawn consecutive connections" is purely
implementation dependent ?

Does any section of the draft clarify my question ?

Please clarify.

Thanks,
Nandakumar.

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:46:02 +0200

Nandakumar,

Once a session is established, when to create additional connections is 
entirely implementation dependent.  One caveat is that if the last or only 
connection remaining goes down you have to establish a new one and 
reassign tasks if you have some within the bounds of an explicit or 
session default Time2Retain.

Julo

"Nandakumar Ramamurthy" <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
30-10-01 15:12
Please respond to "Nandakumar Ramamurthy"

        To:     <[email-masked]>
        cc: 
        Subject:        iSCSI: Connection establishment criteria

Hi All,

Consider the following :

My question is :
What situations/conditions/events make the initiator to establish 
subsequent
connections ?

From my understanding, one definite event is when the leading connection
goes down,
thus, making the initiator to establish a new connection (for continuing 
the
session ) which
holds true even if MaxConnections = 1.

Are the second and later connection(s) attempted immediately after the 
first
connection is successful ?

Please clarify.

Thanks,
Nandakumar.