Subject: Re: (iSCSI) Question

From: Sandeep Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:34:56 -0400

(iSCSI added to subject header..)

SCSI is a layered protocol.  In iSCSI, TCP is being used as 
the "SCSI transport" within the SCSI protocol hierarchy.

The slides below contain a good overview..
  (see pages 6 and 11)
http://WWW.ECE.CMU.EDU/~ips/documents/haagens.08.02.2000.pdf

You may also want to lookup the SAM-2 documents on 
http://www.t10.org/drafts.htm to get a feel for the SCSI 
architecture in general.

-Sandeep

> Hi,
> I am doing a research project at Arizona State University on SCSI and
> iSCSI. I was going through both the protocols. I have a crazy question.
> iSCSI = SCSI/(TCP/IP). But SCSI is a reliable protocol so is TCP. so can't
> we just try to send SCSI packets on IP or SCSI/UDP. Any & All comments are
> welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Shesha Bhushan S
> Research Assistant
> Arizona State University

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian A. Berg)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:30:49 -0600 (MDT)

You can also check out the presentations made during an IP Storage
Tutorial at last week's FCTC conference in San Jose.  Of particular
note are ones I have posted at

  http://www.bswd.com/cornucop.htm#fctciscsi

Look at Ahmad Zamer's presentation starting at Slide 16, as well as
John Hufferd's excellent tutorial.
___________________________________________________________________
 Brian A. Berg            [email-masked]        Voice: 408.741.5010
 Berg Software Design                             FAX: 408.741.5234
 P.O. Box 3488         visit the Storage Cornucopia at www.bswd.com
 14500 Big Basin Way, Suite F       Consulting: SCSI/FC/SAN/storage
 Saratoga, CA 95070 USA                          Cell: 408.406.3699