Subject: RE: iSCSI: Login authentication SRP/CHAP

From: "Joe Czap" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:02:40 -0400

The lack of information relating to SRP IP concerns make the issue seem a
little
like misdirection.  Can anyone offer a clear explanation the SRP IP
situation ?

Joe Czap
IBM Storage Networking
[email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Strahm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:58:06 -0700

Directly from the Stanford license (http://otl.stanford.edu/pdf/97006.pdf)

"Licensed Field of Use" means use of the Invention(s), Software and Licensed
Patent(s)
in Licensed Product(s) for implicit server authentication. By way of
example, but not by
limitation, RFC2945. The Licensed Field of Use specifically excludes use of
the
Invention(s), Software and Licensed Patent(s) machines and servers that deal
with
explicit bidirectional authentication (for example, SRP-Z for explicit
server
authentification). SOFTWARE may only be transferred under a Use Sublicense.

Note that this applies only if Stanford is the only organization to own IP
on this technology and there are no other patents in this field.  Joe, can
you warrant that IBM will make NO patent claims against this algorithm ? Can
you warrant that I will not have to use SRP-Z to implement any iSCSI
operations ?

Again the problem isn't with the algorithm necissarily, but with the fact
that it is the only MUST implement algorithm, I would rather see an
algorithm with NO encumbrance against it...

Bill
+========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+
Bill Strahm     Software Development is a race between Programmers
Member of the   trying to build bigger and better idiot proof software
Technical Staff and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better
[email-masked] idiots.
(503) 601-0263  So far the Universe is winning --- Rich Cook

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Joe Czap
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 5:03 AM
To: Bill Strahm
Cc: IPS Reflector (E-mail); John Hufferd; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: iSCSI: Login authentication SRP/CHAP

Joe Czap
IBM Storage Networking
[email-masked]