Subject: Data Digest Error question

From: "Prasenjit Sarkar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 11:04:24 -0700

This question relates to how the target handles data digest errors for data
pdus.

The spec says the target has to send a reject pdu with the attached pdu
header
+ (recovery R2T OR delivery subsystem failure status)

Why do we need two mechanisms? Wouldnt the pdu header indicate what needed
to be transmitted? Maybe a word of motivation might help.

   Prasenjit Sarkar
   Research Staff Member
   IBM Almaden Research
   San Jose

---

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 12:19:30 -0700

Prasenjit,

The Reject mechanism is intended to be uniformly applicable to
all (recovery-savvy and otherwise) targets.

Recovery R2T, OTOH, is only for ErrorRecoveryLevel>=1 capable
implementations (DataSequenceInOrder=true as well, I think this
needs to be called out in its description), since a recovery R2T 
implies going back in the data stream.

The delivery subsystem failure status is the final termination
status (even though there were several good data PDUs after the
failed one) for ErrorRecoveryLevel=0 implementations, sent after 
waiting for the F-bit.

Hope that helps.

Regards.
-- 
Mallikarjun 

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
Networked Storage Architecture
Network Storage Solutions Organization
MS 5668 Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
[email-masked]

---

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 12:35:34 -0700

"Mallikarjun C." wrote:
> implementations (DataSequenceInOrder=true 

Sorry, that was supposed to be DataSequenceInOrder=no.

Also, it appears to me that the result function for this key
should be AND, and there's a typo in the description - it says
"no" for both cases.  Julian, comments?

>as well, I think this

-- 
Mallikarjun 

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka