Subject: iFCP: iFCP Version 07

From: Charles Monia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:00:44 -0800

Colleagues:

Version 7 of the iFCP protocol specification was submitted on 11/21/01 for
inclusion in the IETF archive. Pending the IETF announcement of
availability, versions of the document can be obtained from the T11 document
archive at: 

ftp://209.26.30.221/t11/docs/01-495v3.pdf -- created with markups visible
ftp://209.26.30.221/t11/docs/01-495v3.txt

This version partially addresses the comments received from David Black as
discussed below. A number of issues are still open and will be addressed in
the next release.

Major Issues:

Section 11, Security -- Updated to reflect the latest security text
specified in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-security-05.txt
Section 12, QoS -- Updated per review comments and subsequent reflector
discussion.

"Minor Issues"
iSNS -- Added new section 5.3 describing the role of iSNS. 
4.4a) -- Added FC Node definition
4.7.1 -- Added description of address assignment for fabric-attached loops.
4.8 -- Added description of class 4 and class 6 transport services.
4.9 -- Added description of FC logins.
Figure 7 -- Changed "IP fabric" to "iFCP fabric."
5.2.1 -- Added description of how supported transport services are
discovered by an N_PORT.
PP 20 -- Corrected specification of requirements for Address-translation and
Address-transparent modes.
5.3.1.1  -- Added material describing use of iSNS for domain I/D assignment
in address-transparent mode.
5.3.1.2, 5.3.2.3 --  "SHALL" added to requirements for rejecting incoming
frames having incorrect address mode.
6.2.2.1 -- Corrected per review comment
6.2.2.2, "Use of TCP Features" -- Revised per review comment
6.2.2.3, "Error Recovery and Cold Start" -- Deleted per review comment
Sections 7 and 8 -- Order reversed per review comment
6.2.3 -- Identified entity being terminated or aborted  (iFCP session) per
review comment
6.3 -- Qualified reference to point to appendix B of RFC 1323
7.3  and 7.3.7 (PLOGI) -- Terminology: Augmented ELSs are now referred to as
"Special" ELSs.
7.3.5 -- Fixed description of FARP-REQ.
7.3.8 -- Deleted description of REC ELS.
7.4, table 4 -- Modified table per review comment to delete references to
"y" entry types.
8.1 -- Added Connection Handle reference.
Appendix A -- Summary of Link Services.  Deleted Link Services removed from
FC-FS spec.
Appendix B -- Deleted. Spec will be revised to include a reference to
published material.

Open Issues

5.3 -- Separate discussion of address mode tradeoffs from functional
requirements. Delineate requirements for CRC recalculation in address
translation mode. Work in progress.
5.3.2, and subsidiary sections -- Specify rules for translation table
maintenance.  Rewrite in progress.
6.2.1 -- N_PORT network address definition and NAPT support.  Discussion
with co-authors and proposal is in progress.  Post for review on reflector.
9.2, Stale Frame Prevention -- Add guidelines on when to enable the
detection of stale frames traversing the IP network.
10.4 -- Broadcast Server. Revise mechanism to provide reliability and
functionality equivalent to an FC fabric.

Charles Monia
Senior Technology Consultant
Nishan Systems
email: [email-masked]
voice: (408) 519-3986
fax:   (408) 435-8385

Charles Monia
Senior Technology Consultant
Nishan Systems
email: [email-masked]
voice: (408) 519-3986
fax:   (408) 435-8385