Subject: FCIP: Echoing a Changed Short Frame?

From: Sudhir Srinivasan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:27:17 -0500

Section 8.1.2 of v0.7 of the FCIP draft states in the last
three paras on page 25 that the echoed Short Frame must
match exactly the one that was originated; otherwise the
connection SHALL be closed. 

Section 8.1.5 on pages 28-29 describes how the receiver of
the Short Frame can change the contents of the frame and
then SHALL echo it back to the originator (with the CH bit set).

What's the purpose of the Change bit and echoing a changed Short
Frame if the originator will simply terminate the connection?
Is the expectation that the originator can capture the changed info
and try to set up the connection again with the new information?
If so, would it not be easier to just have the originator respond with
another Short Frame with the new information and repeat this 
back-and-forth until the echo'ed SF has no changes or either side 
decides to give up?

Thanks,
- Sudhir

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trebia Networks, Inc.    [email-masked]
978-929-0830 x139        www.trebia.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: "Murali Rajagopal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:11:50 -0800

Sudhir:

I think your guess about the purpose and subsequent behavior of the changed
CH bit is correct. This behavior keeps the protocol simple
without getting into an ellaborate negotiation cycle.

-Murali

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Sudhir Srinivasan
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 9:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: FCIP: Echoing a Changed Short Frame?

Thanks,
- Sudhir