Subject: iSCSI reserved bits and fields

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 22:45:35 -0500

"MUST be ignored by the receiver" is definitely the correct
	language for the receive side.
On the send side, I believe "SHOULD be set to zero" is sufficient;
	given the "MUST ignore" on the receive side, I don't
	think another "MUST" is needed.

Thanks,
--David

---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:50:15 -0500

> 	think another "MUST" is needed.

"MUST" is better on the send side, because then those bits can safely
be used in a later protocol version.  If you say "SHOULD" then V1
implementations can have non-zero values (which V>1 wants to assign
meaning to) in those fields and still be compliant.

In other words, "MUST set to zero" keeps the fields available, "SHOULD
set to zero" makes them unavailable for later use.

    paul