Subject: spec revs to make TargetName reqd on every connection

From: "Andre Asselin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:55:17 -0500

Julian,
     Attached is an attempt to pull together all the required spec updates
to make InitiatorName required on every login, TargetName required on every
normal login, and clarify related text.

Does this look good to everyone?  Any places I missed?

Andre Asselin
IBM ServeRAID Software Development
Research Triangle Park, NC

Appendix D, TargetName option:

Remove "LO" from Use.

Change

This key MUST be provided by the initiator of the TCP connection to the
remote endpoint before the end of the login phase. The iSCSI Target Name
specifies the worldwide unique name of the target.  The TargetName key may
also be returned by the "SendTargets" text request (and that is its only
use when issued by a target).

To

This key must be provided by the initiator of the TCP connection to the
remote endpoint in the first login request if the initiator is  not
establishing a discovery session. The iSCSI Target Name specifies the
worldwide unique name of the target.  The TargetName key may also be
returned by the "SendTargets" text request (and that is its only use when
issued by a target).

Appendix D, InitiatorName option:

Remove "LO" from Use.

Change

This key MUST be provided by the initiator of the TCP connection to the
remote endpoint at the first Login of login phase for every connection. The
Initiator key enables the initiator to identify itself to the remote
endpoint.

To

This key must be provided by the initiator of the TCP connection to the
remote endpoint at the first Login of login phase for every connection. The
InitiatorName key enables the initiator to identify itself to the remote
endpoint.

The current version of the 6th paragraph in chapter 5 reads:

The initial Login request of the first connection of a session (leading
login) MUST include the InitiatorName key=value pair. The leading Login
request MAY also include the SessionType key=value pair in which case if
the SessionType is not "discovery" then the leading Login Request MUST also
include the key=value pair TargetName.

A suggested rewrite would be (building on the text suggested by Bob
Russell):

All initial Login requests MUST include the InitiatorName key=value pair.

If the initial Login request is also a leading Login (TSID=0) and the new
session is to be a discovery session, then the initial Login request MUST
also include the SessionType=discovery key=value pair.

If the initial Login request is a leading Login and the new session is to
be a normal session,  then the initial Login request MUST also include the
TargetName key=value pair and MAY also include the SessionType=normal
key=value pair.

All initial Login requests that are not also a leading Login (TSID != 0)
MUST include the TargetName key=value pair.

Also, this text appears in 2.2.7:

The initiator MUST present both its iSCSI Initiator Name and the iSCSI
Target Name to which it wishes to connect in the first login request of a
new session.  The only exception is if a discovery session (see 2.4) is to
be established; the iSCSI Initiator Name is still required, but the iSCSI
Target Name may be ignored.  The key "SessionType=discovery" is sent by the
initiator at login to indicate a discovery session.

A suggested rewrite would be:

The initiator must present its iSCSI Initiator Name in the first login
request.  If the initiator is not establishing a discovery session (see
2.4), it also must present the iSCSI Target Name to which it wishes to
connect in the first login request.  The key "SessionType=discovery" is
sent by the initiator on the Initial Login request to indicate a discovery
session. See chapter 5 for a more detailed description of the Login
process.

Section 3.12.8 currently reads:

The TSID is the target assigned component of the session identifier (SSID).
Together with the ISID provided by the initiator, this uniquely identifies
the session with that initiator.

Suggested rewrite (melding current text w/John's rewrite):

The TSID is the target assigned component of the session identifier (SSID).
Together with the ISID provided by the initiator, this uniquely identifies
a session from that specific target to that specific initiator.  That is,
the TSID is a unique value within the scope of a specific target (not
necessarily unique within the iSCSI Target Network Entity).

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 08:21:55 +0200

thanks - julo

Andre Asselin@IBMUS
05-11-01 22:55

        To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
        cc:     John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS, Jim Hafner/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, 
[email-masked]
        From:   Andre Asselin/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
        Subject:        spec revs to make TargetName reqd on every connection

Julian,
        Attached is an attempt to pull together all the required spec 
updates to make InitiatorName required on every login, TargetName required 
on every normal login, and clarify related text.

Andre Asselin

Remove "LO" from Use.

Change

To

Remove "LO" from Use.

Change

This key MUST be provided by the initiator of the TCP connection to the 
remote endpoint at the first Login of login phase for every connection. 
The Initiator key enables the initiator to identify itself to the remote 
endpoint. 

To

This key must be provided by the initiator of the TCP connection to the 
remote endpoint at the first Login of login phase for every connection. 
The InitiatorName key enables the initiator to identify itself to the 
remote endpoint. 

The initial Login request of the first connection of a session (leading 
login) MUST include the InitiatorName key=value pair. The leading Login 
request MAY also include the SessionType key=value pair in which case if 
the SessionType is not "discovery" then the leading Login Request MUST 
also include the key=value pair TargetName.

The initiator MUST present both its iSCSI Initiator Name and the iSCSI 
Target Name to which it wishes to connect in the first login request of a 
new session.  The only exception is if a discovery session (see 2.4) is to 
be established; the iSCSI Initiator Name is still required, but the iSCSI 
Target Name may be ignored.  The key "SessionType=discovery" is sent by 
the initiator at login to indicate a discovery session. 

The TSID is the target assigned component of the session identifier 
(SSID).  Together with the ISID provided by the initiator, this uniquely 
identifies the session with that initiator.

The TSID is the target assigned component of the session identifier 
(SSID).  Together with the ISID provided by the initiator, this uniquely 
identifies a session from that specific target to that specific initiator. 
 That is, the TSID is a unique value within the scope of a specific target 
(not necessarily unique within the iSCSI Target Network Entity).