Subject: iSCSI:Clear Task Set

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 01:29:21 -0800

Julian, and List  (using v 0.9)
In point 9.4, just before 9.5  the Table entry associated with Clear Task
Set applies to:

"All tasks associated with the specified LUN and initiator. For all other
initiators all tasks at LUN with no regard to order."

Perhaps we mean LU here, but I know that the iSCSI layer does not have
information about LU, only about the LU Number (LUN) in the command.  We
can not tell, at the iSCSI layer, if the  LU represented  by a LUN on
Session 1, has any relationship to any LUN on any other session.

This is because each initiator may have their own numbering for LUs.
Therefore, do we just pass the Clear Task Set to the SCSI layer and hope
for the best, or does the iSCSI layer also suppose to apply the Clear Task
Set to all the sessions that it has coming into the iSCSI (SCSI) Target
Port?  If the latter, again how will that work when the iSCSI layer has no
idea what LU an Initiator's LUN will map to?
.
.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
Internet address: [email-masked]

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 17:56:36 +0200

John,

The LUN is just a mistake there - in all three instances it should be LU.
The definitions are in accordance with SAM . There are two task management 
modes - tasks sets-per-initiator at each LU or common for all initiators. 
The mode is a SCSI issue controlled by a field in the Control-Mode page.
Clear task set MAY clear all the tasks in the task set - even if common to 
all initiators if that is the way the task set is managed. That is also 
the difference between clear-task-set and abort task set.

Julo

John Hufferd@IBMUS
23-11-01 11:29

        To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL@IBMDE
        cc:     [email-masked]
        From:   John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
        Subject:        iSCSI:Clear Task Set

---

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 13:30:04 -0800

Julian, and list,
The question now becomes, if we have all that carefully thought out
processing that is defined in 9.4 in how to handle the other Tasks/Commands
that are "In Flight", and not yet given to SCSI, how does that apply to the
other Sessions with other initiators?

That is, at the iSCSI Target layer we do not have the LU Number to LU
mapping on any Session with any Initiator, so how do we cause the careful
processing, which is defined in 9.4, to occur on the other sessions that
may have and association to the subject LU? Especially since all we know is
a LU Number on the Clearing Session.

Perhaps we do not care about the 9.4 processing on the other Session and
Other Initiators and just let SCSI layer do its thing, and at the iSCSI
layer we pay no attention to the other Sessions.  Do you think this is
correct?

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd

Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@[email-masked] on 11/23/2001 07:56:36 AM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  Re: iSCSI:Clear Task Set

John,

Julo

John Hufferd@IBMUS
23-11-01 11:29