Subject: FC Management MIB -- Transfer from IPFC To IPS WG

From: "Elizabeth Rodriguez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 00:06:40 -0500

All,

The IPFC working group has only one item left on its charter.  
It is that of the FC Management MIB.  It has been identified 
that this MIB does not follow the IETF guidelines for MIBs 
in its current format, in its lack of focus, and in its overlap 
with existing MIBs.  Rework of this MIB will take some time.  
The content of this MIB will fit in well with the IPS WG, 
especially because the subject matter experts participate in
this WG.
 
For these reasons, the working group chairs, with the INT and TSV area
directors, have determined that this effort should be moved from the
IPFC working group to the IPS working group.  Upon transferring of this
work, the IPFC working group will have completed the items in its
charter and the IPFC WG will be closed.

The IPS working group has a technical advisor for MIB work -- Keith
McCloghrie.  Since it has been determined that the current MIB has
issues with format, Keith McCloghrie has agreed to become the interim
editor of this MIB.  As part of the re-architecture, the MIB will be
evaluated with respect to fit with other IPS WG MIBs, and may take the
form of a single new MIB or multiple MIBs, as appropriate.  The IPS
working group will also be seeking Fibre Channel expertise to help
formulate the new MIB, including an editor with FC and MIB experience.

The IPFC working group would also like to thank Steven Blumenau for all
his work on the original MIB.  

Elizabeth Rodriguez & David Black, IPS Working Group Chairs
Murali Rajagopal, IPFC Working Group Chair