Subject: FCIP V07 suggestion

From: "Chong Peng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:47:12 -0800

Hi, 

In the FCIP draft V07 (<draft-ietf-ips-fcovertcpip-07.txt>) page 28, it
says:

"After the TCP connect request has been accepted, the FCIP Entity
SHALL wait for the FCIP Short Frame sent by the originator of the
TCP connect request as the first bytes received through the
Encapsulated Frame Receiver Portal on the accepted connection."

I think this text is confusing. The "FCIP Short Frame" cannot be
received through 
the "Encapsulated Frame Receiver Portal" because this Portal
does not exist when the "FCIP Short Frame" is to be received:
(1) According to the draft (page 13), Portals (including "Encapsulated 
    Frame Receiver Portal") belong to the FCIP_DE. This implies (to me)
that
    Portals cannot exist without their corresponding FCIP_DE.
(2) Again according to the draft (page 26 and page 29), FCIP_DE is
created 
    only after "FCIP Short Frame" are exchanged between the originator
and 
    recipient of the TCP connection.

It might make sense for the aforementioned text in the draft be changed
to:

"After the TCP connect request has been accepted, the FCIP Entity
SHALL wait for the FCIP Short Frame sent by the originator of the
TCP connect request as the first bytes received on the accepted 
connection."

Chong Peng