Subject: IPS Internet-Draft status

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:05:51 -0500

This is what I believe the status of the Internet-Drafts
in the IPS WG is for the Salt Lake City meeting.  At
the moment, I believe that only the FCIP SLP draft
is still in the works at the secretariat.  Please send
any updates/corrections/comments to me and the list.

Thanks,
--David

-- Security for all IPS protocols

draft-ietf-ips-security-06.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  Getting close to done - open issues
in
		certificate usage (things to do in practice to increase the
		likelihood of certificates working) and encapsulation mode
		(tunnel, transport) requirements for IPsec SAs.
	Note that the SLPv2 security text will be extensively revised in
-07.
	Hope to close any remaining issues at December 2001 IETF meeting.

-- iSCSI

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-09.txt
	To become a proposed standard RFC.
	Large portions are stable, major security and login issues have
		been resolved for the most part.
	Major editorial revision along with document restructure and
		reorganization is expected in -10 version (after December
meeting).
	Hope to close any remaining issues at December 2001 IETF meeting

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-boot-04.txt
	To become an informational RFC, after the main iSCSI document.
		No major open issues, possible minor issues in DHCP usage.
	Hope to close any remaining issues at December 2001 IETF meeting.
	The related draft, draft-sarkar-dhc-iscsi-boot-00.txt describes
		use of DHCP to distribute iSCSI root volume location
		information for boot purposes.  Current plans are to advance
		that draft through the DHC WG.

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-reqmts-05.txt
	To become an informational RFC.
	Has completed WG Last Call, currently being considered by the IESG,
		IETF Last Call has not been issued.

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-name-disc-03.txt
	To become an informational RFC.  No major open issues, hope to close
	any remaining issues at December 2001 IETF meeting.  Plan to issue
WG
	Last Call for this with main iSCSI draft.

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-slp-02.txt
	To become a proposed standard RFC.
	Close to done.  Issues in this general area seem to come up in the
		context of the iSCSI naming and discovery draft
(iscsi-name-disc-03)
		rather than this draft.
	WG Last Call will be after the naming and discovery draft.

draft-bakke-iscsi-stringprep-00.txt
	New draft to become a proposed standard RFC.  Not expected to be
	controversial.  December meeting will be asked to adopt this as an
	official WG draft.

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-mib-03.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  Close to done.
	WG Last Call will follow main iSCSI draft.
	Structure diagram available at:
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/mbakke/iscsi/Visio-ietf-iscsi-mib-structure-03.pdf

-- FC Common Encapsulation

draft-ietf-ips-fcencapsulation-04.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  No known open issues.
	Will accompany FCIP and/or iFCP drafts in Last Call, probably after
		December 2001 IETF.

-- FCIP

draft-ietf-ips-fcovertcpip-07.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.
	Close to done - only major open issue is WWN short frame security.
	Hope to close that and any remaining issues at December 2001 IETF
meeting.

draft-ietf-ips-fcip-slp-01.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  Close to done.
	Hope to close any remaining issues at December 2001 IETF meeting.

draft-ietf-ips-fcip-mib-00.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.
	Will undergo major changes as a consequence of restructuring of
		the FC Management MIB (see below).

-- iFCP

draft-ietf-ips-ifcp-07.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.
	Note that changes will be made in -08 in the areas of
		implementation of FC broadcasts and allowing multiple iFCP
		instances at a single IP address.  Otherwise believed to
		be close to done.
	Hope to close any remaining issues at December 2001 IETF meeting.

draft-ietf-ips-ifcp-mib-00.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.
	Likely timeframe for closing issues is March 2002 IETF meeting.
	
-- iSNS

draft-ietf-ips-isns-06.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.
		WG Last Call to follow iSCSI and iFCP drafts.
	Note that changes will be necessary to support forthcoming changes
		in the -08 version of the iFCP draft.
	Hope to close any remaining issues at December 2001 IETF meeting.

draft-ietf-ips-isns-mib-01.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.
	Likely timeframe for closing issues is March 2002 IETF meeting.

-- Framework (draft-ietf-ips-framework-00.txt) has been abandoned.

-- SCSI MIB

Design team is formulating an initial draft which is not yet available.

-- Fibre Channel Management MIB

This has been transferred to the IPS WG from the IPFC WG.  Major
restructuring and content changes are underway from the last ipfc
version (draft-ietf-ipfc-fcmgmt-int-mib-07.txt), but a revised draft
is not yet available.  Work on this MIB may expand to incorporate
some or all of the contents of the FC Fabric Element MIB (RFC 2837);
the WG will determine whether to do this and to what extent after the
first revised draft of the FC Management MIB is available.

----- Document Completion Guesstimates ------

A rough guess is 3 waves of documents:

(1) Main protocol standards.  Close technical issues at December 2001 IETF
	(or before), WG Last Call in early 2002, submit to IESG before
	March 2002 IETF Meeting.
	- iSCSI
	- iSCSI Naming/Discovery (and stringprep)
	- FC Encapsulation
	- FCIP
	- iFCP
	- IPS Security
	Last Call scheduling will be an issue, as there are at least two,
	and possibly more 4 week WG Last Calls required for the above
	that probably should not overlap with each other.  WG Last Call
	for iSCSI will have to wait for -10 version of that draft to
	receive a reasonable level of review within the WG.

(2) Supporting Protocol Documents.  Close technical issues at December
	IETF if possible (but above documents have priority).  WG Last
	Call to follow above, probably in March-April 2002.
	- iSCSI Boot
	- iSCSI SLP
	- FCIP SLP
	- iSNS
	iSNS Last Call should not overlap iSCSI Last Calls, hence at least
	two will be needed, but 2 week WG Last Call periods should suffice
	for these documents.

(3) MIBs To follow supporting documents, probably in multiple groups over
time,
	as the MIB maturities vary from the iSCSI MIB (close to done) to the
SCSI
	MIB (initial work underway, draft to appear soon).
	- iSCSI MIB
	- FCIP MIB
	- iFCP MIB
	- iSNS MIB
	- SCSI MIB
	- FC Management MIB
	Probably need multiple Last Call periods, but again, 2 weeks each
	should be sufficient.  May move Last Call schedule up for MIBs
	that are ready to go earlier (e.g., after December 2001 IETF
	meeting).

The waves will overlap in practice, but each main protocol document
needs to make it through WG Last Call before any WG Last Calls are
issued for documents that depend on it.  So for any protocol, wave
(1) has to come before (2) and (3), but (2) and (3) can run in
parallel, and the different protocols may run on different schedules.