Subject: iSCSI: Abort Task Set

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 14:17:55 -0800

Julian, and List,
The discription of the Abort Task Set Function in 3.5.1 says it:   "aborts
all Tasks issued by this initiator on the Logical Unit."

The question is, what do we mean by initiator, in this case.  Do we mean
iSCSI Initiator Node, or do we mean iSCSI (SCSI) Initiator Port.
Since we could have several different Session between the iSCSI Initiator
Node and the SCSI Target Port, but only one between the SCSI Initiator Port
and an SCSI Target Port.  So if we mean the latter, perhaps we should
change the wordage to: "aborts all Tasks issued via this Session on the
Logical Unit."

.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
Internet address: [email-masked]

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 09:11:55 +0200

John,

The meaning is SCSI initiator - i.e. SCSI initiator port.  That is defined 
as the  default meaning at the begining of the document.
T10 defines the command meaning.

Julo

John Hufferd@IBMUS
24-11-01 00:17

        To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL@IBMDE, [email-masked]
        cc: 
        From:   John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
        Subject:        iSCSI: Abort Task Set

Julian, and List,

The question is, what do we mean by initiator, in this case.  Do we mean 
iSCSI Initiator Node, or do we mean iSCSI (SCSI) Initiator Port.
Since we could have several different Session between the iSCSI Initiator 
Node and the SCSI Target Port, but only one between the SCSI Initiator 
Port and an SCSI Target Port.  So if we mean the latter, perhaps we should 
change the wordage to: "aborts all Tasks issued via this Session on the 
Logical Unit."

.
.
John L. Hufferd

---

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 11:52:05 -0800

Julian,
That is fine with me, except we did NOT define "SCSI initiator" to be "SCSI
initiator port".

The places in the Document that I have see the words SCSI initiator is
either Standalone (in areas that could mean SCSI initiator port), or as
(pre)qualifiers to "port" or "device", as in SCSI initiator port, or SCSI
initiator device.  Because "SCSI Initiator" is NOT defined, and could mean
port or device.  I think we need to be more percicse -- and in 3.5.1 we
should say SCSI Initiator Port, not just the word "inititor".

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd

"Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>@ece.cmu.edu on 11/23/2001
11:11:55 PM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  Re: iSCSI: Abort Task Set

John,

Julo

John Hufferd@IBMUS
24-11-01 00:17

Julian, and List,

.
.
John L. Hufferd

---

From: "Jim Hafner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 08:22:05 -0800

John,

You've found another place where use of "initiator" is vague.
In this case, however, the meaning is SCSI Initiator Port (as that is the
meaning of "initiator" in SAM-2, where this wording is probably crypted).
Since the SCSI Initiator Port is the endpoint of the session, perhaps your
suggested rewording would be a good clarification.

Jim Hafner

John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@[email-masked] on 11/23/2001 02:17:55 pm

To:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI: Abort Task Set

Julian, and List,

.
.
John L. Hufferd