Subject: iSCSI: AHS drop bit

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:48:11 -0800

Julian,

Section 3.2.2.1 says the following on the AHS drop bit - 
           bit 7 - Drop Bit - if set to 1 this AHS may be ignored if not
           understood; if set to 0 this AHS must be rejected if not
           understood.    

- I suspect it is the entire command that was meant to be failed, not 
  just the AHS...
  
- If it is a SCSI operation that is being failed, I suggest that 
  the target should end the command with an appropriate SCSI CHECK 
  CONDITION - so the command sequence window can advance at the 
  transport level (and the inability of the target to support say
  extended CDB is known end-to-end, to prevent fruitless SCSI retries).

- This bit may be useful for AHS code "Non-iSCSI extensions", but
  I could not see how it can be used for the defined iSCSI operations.
  If it is indeed so, I would actually suggest dropping this feature.

Regards.
-- 
Mallikarjun 

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
Networked Storage Architecture
Network Storage Solutions Organization
MS 5668	Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
[email-masked]