Subject: Re: iSCSI: Checking the I bit

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 23:55:27 -0800

Eddy,
Technically, the In coming PDUs all have Byte 0, Bit 6, set to one.  It is
not identified as the I (Immediate) bit.  And it is NOT reserved.

So the Statement from the UNH Plugfest does not apply.  I think your point
is that if all the incoming PDUs have that bit set, why do we need to set
the bit, and why do we need to check it.  I think this bit has evolved over
time, and perhaps up to now no one has noticed.

If every incoming PDU has the bit set, we may not need the bit to be set,
and perhaps it should be reserved, thereby not requiring the check.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
Internet address: [email-masked]

"Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>@ece.cmu.edu on 12/13/2001 03:26:18 AM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   "ips@ece. cmu. edu \(E-mail\)" <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI: Checking the I bit

Is it necessary for  the initiator to check the I bit in every response?

If an initiator does  not need it, then I don't want to take the extra time
to check it. I think this  is consistent with the thinking of all attendees
of the UNH Plug Fest because  the report from UNH IOL was that "all
companies failed that  test".

I would like to  propose adding some wording to 3.2.1.1 similar to "It is
not necessary to check  this bit for 1 if the implementation in the
initiator does not need its  use".

[email-masked]

---

From: "Anshul Chadda" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:31:58 -0500

Hi:
The question of checking bits will be relevant whether a bit/field is set to
1 or 0(means reserved).

The point being does the initiator/target has to check the bits/fields if it
is not affected by those. It (initiator/target) might not want to check for
it as these checks are costly.

I know this issue was discussed before, but I don't know the outcome of
it???

Anshul