Subject: iSCSI: negotiated more than once

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:13:05 -0500

Section 5 says:

 Both initiator and target MUST NOT attempt to negotiate a parameter
 more than once during any login stage. Attempting to do so MUST
 result in the login (and connection) being terminated.

But section 6 says:

 Both initiator and target MUST NOT attempt to negotiate a parameter
 more than once during any negotiation sequence without an intervening
 reset. If detected by the target this MUST result in a Reject with a
 reason of "protocol error".  The initiator MUST reset the negotiation
 as outlined above.

A reject could mean to terminate the connection but a “reset” doesn’t. So,
are these statements consistent? Notice that section 6 says “sequence” but
section 5 says “login stage”. Is that the difference?

Eddy
  _____

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 09:26:38 +0200

[email-masked] wrote on 20-12-2001 20:13:05:

> A reject could mean to terminate the connection but a "reset"
> doesn't. So, are these statements consistent? Notice that section 6
> says "sequence" but section 5 says "login stage". Is that the difference?
>
>

Negotiating a parameter twice in login is terminating the login and the
connection.
In a text exchange it resets the exchange.
> Eddy

Julo

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 18:54:03 +0200

Eddy,

Here is the answer. Julo
----- Forwarded by Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM on 22-12-01 18:49 -----

Julian Satran
22-12-01 09:26

        To:     "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
        cc:     "ips@ece. cmu. edu \(E-mail\)" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
        Subject:        Re: iSCSI: negotiated more than once

[email-masked] wrote on 20-12-2001 20:13:05:

> A reject could mean to terminate the connection but a ?reset? 
> doesn?t. So, are these statements consistent? Notice that section 6 
> says ?sequence? but section 5 says ?login stage?. Is that the 
difference?

Julo