Subject: RE: iSCSI: scope of keys

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 01:28:56 +0200

This key must be sent on the first login request on every connection - it
is part of the session identity. Julo

                    "Eddy Quicksall"                                                                      
                    <Eddy_Quicksall@iV       To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL,                       
                    ivity.com>                <[email-masked]>                                           
                                             cc:                                                          
                    18-12-01 17:25           Subject:     RE: iSCSI: scope of keys                        

IO means "only during login". It does not mean "connection only".

 13 TargetName

 Use: IO by initiator ALL by target, Declarative

 This key must be provided by the initiator of the TCP connection to
 the remote endpoint in the first login request ...

So, here is a case where it is session wide ... so IO cannot mean
"connection only" (I assume that since TargetName is not LO, then it must
be
ok to send this key for each connection).

Eddy

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iSCSI: scope of keys

Eddy,

I think the text says it - but if people love headers better I can add
it (some voices needed).

Julo

        "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]

14-12-01 22:12

        To:        "ips@ece. cmu. edu \(E-mail\)" <[email-masked]>
        cc:
        Subject:        iSCSI: scope of keys

Would it make sense to add a "scope" to each key definition? The IO and
LO "use:" labels almost do that but not in all cases. For example:

 SW = Session wide

 CO = Connection only

 Use: IO

 Who can send: Initiator

 Scope: SW

 Key=<value>

Eddy

---

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:52:15 -0500

I agree but what I was pointing out originally is that the "use" does not
specifically say if this key applies to the session or if it applies only to
the connection. I may have thrown you off by my example.

If no one else thinks this is a problem I'll back off (but I think
Mallikarjun, at least partially, agreed with me).

Eddy

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 6:29 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: iSCSI: scope of keys

This key must be sent on the first login request on every connection -
it
is part of the session identity. Julo

                    "Eddy Quicksall"

                    <Eddy_Quicksall@iV       To:     Julian
Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL,
                    ivity.com>                <[email-masked]>

                                             cc:

                    18-12-01 17:25           Subject:     RE: iSCSI:
scope of keys

 13 TargetName

So, here is a case where it is session wide ... so IO cannot mean
"connection only" (I assume that since TargetName is not LO, then it
must
be
ok to send this key for each connection).

Eddy

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iSCSI: scope of keys

Eddy,

Julo

14-12-01 22:12

 SW = Session wide

 CO = Connection only

 Use: IO

 Who can send: Initiator

 Scope: SW

 Key=<value>

Eddy