Subject: Re: iSCSI: Byte1 Bit 7 Seems Not to be reserved

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 19:04:15 +0200

John,

If you are referring to the fact that a reserved bit has to be 0 - that is 
not so.
The statement about reserved is that they are 0 unless explicitly said 
otherwise.
There are some other reserved positions that are set to 1. 

Julo

John Hufferd@IBMUS
14-12-01 10:24

        To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL@IBMDE
        cc:     [email-masked]
        Subject:        iSCSI: Byte1 Bit 7 Seems Not to be reserved

Julian,
in Draft 9, the SCSI Response PDU picture shows Byte 1 Bit 7 (normally the 
Final Flag) to be set to 1.  Yet the Text that follows the picture says 
that Byte 1 Bit 7 -5 is reserved.  We should probably make those 
consistent.   I think you meant to indicate that the Response was the only 
PDU associated with this action, so I think you need to mark only Byte 1 
bit 6-5 as reserved.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
Internet address: [email-masked]

---

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:57:20 -0500

If it is reserved then that means "today I don't know the meaning" but if
that is the case, why not make it 0? If it is a "1" for a reason, then it
would not fit the meaning of "reserved" (would it?).

Draft 7 said bit 7 is a 1 and bits 5-6 were reserved. Wouldn't that be less
controversial than saying a "1" is a reserved bit?

Maybe I am missing something.

Eddy

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 12:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iSCSI: Byte1 Bit 7 Seems Not to be reserved

John,

If you are referring to the fact that a reserved bit has to be 0 - that
is not so.
The statement about reserved is that they are 0 unless explicitly said
otherwise.
There are some other reserved positions that are set to 1.

Julo

        John Hufferd@IBMUS

14-12-01 10:24

Julian,
in Draft 9, the SCSI Response PDU picture shows Byte 1 Bit 7 (normally
the Final Flag) to be set to 1.  Yet the Text that follows the picture
says that Byte 1 Bit 7 -5 is reserved.  We should probably make those
consistent.   I think you meant to indicate that the Response was the
only PDU associated with this action, so I think you need to mark only
Byte 1 bit 6-5 as reserved.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd