Subject: Re: iSCSI: NOPs on discovery session

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:04:39 +0200

Ayman,

It is true that I agreed that we may want to have it. However some members 
of the list have expressed immediately a strong opposition to it claiming 
that it was no strictly needed (true) and that discovery section are meant 
to be brief.
I felt thus that we don't have a consensus on that and we may want to try 
again.
I assume that the main concern was that this will enable discovery 
sessions to be become long lived and be used as a back door monitoring 
channel.

Regards,
Julo

"Ayman Ghanem" <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
12-04-01 05:30 AM

        To:     <[email-masked]>
        cc: 
        Subject:        iSCSI: NOPs on discovery session

Julian,

I thought we agreed to adding NOPs to the operations allowed on the
discovery session. I couldn't find that in draft-09. Thanks.

-Ayman

---

From: "Ayman Ghanem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 23:37:34 -0600

Julian,

I would vote for allowing it. Is the spec going to require the initiator to
logout immediately after the SendTargets response is received?. Should the
target drop the session after it had sent the response?. I am not sure how
the discovery session could be misused. It has been authenticated like any
other session and has only limited set of commands. One could also argue the
need for logout on a discovery session as opposed to just closing the
connection.

-Ayman

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Julian Satran
  Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 1:05 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: iSCSI: NOPs on discovery session

  Ayman,

  Regards,
  Julo

                To:        <[email-masked]>
                cc:

  Julian,

  -Ayman