Subject: Re: iSCSI: Checking the I bit

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 19:15:29 +0200

I think that Eddy's suggestion to state that parties have to check only 
what they have to check is valuable and we may want to include a general 
statement about that.

Julo

John Hufferd
Sent by: [email-masked]
14-12-01 09:55

        To:     "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
        cc:     "ips@ece. cmu. edu \(E-mail\)" <[email-masked]>
        Subject:        Re: iSCSI: Checking the I bit

Eddy,
Technically, the In coming PDUs all have Byte 0, Bit 6, set to one.  It is
not identified as the I (Immediate) bit.  And it is NOT reserved.

So the Statement from the UNH Plugfest does not apply.  I think your point
is that if all the incoming PDUs have that bit set, why do we need to set
the bit, and why do we need to check it.  I think this bit has evolved 
over
time, and perhaps up to now no one has noticed.

If every incoming PDU has the bit set, we may not need the bit to be set,
and perhaps it should be reserved, thereby not requiring the check.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
Internet address: [email-masked]

"Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>@ece.cmu.edu on 12/13/2001 03:26:18 
AM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   "ips@ece. cmu. edu \(E-mail\)" <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  iSCSI: Checking the I bit

Is it necessary for  the initiator to check the I bit in every response?

If an initiator does  not need it, then I don't want to take the extra 
time
to check it. I think this  is consistent with the thinking of all 
attendees
of the UNH Plug Fest because  the report from UNH IOL was that "all
companies failed that  test".

I would like to  propose adding some wording to 3.2.1.1 similar to "It is
not necessary to check  this bit for 1 if the implementation in the
initiator does not need its  use".

[email-masked]