Subject: iSCSI: Byte1 Bit 7 Seems Not to be reserved

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:24:26 -0800

Julian,
in Draft 9, the SCSI Response PDU picture shows Byte 1 Bit 7 (normally the
Final Flag) to be set to 1.  Yet the Text that follows the picture says
that Byte 1 Bit 7 -5 is reserved.  We should probably make those
consistent.   I think you meant to indicate that the Response was the only
PDU associated with this action, so I think you need to mark only Byte 1
bit 6-5 as reserved.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
Internet address: [email-masked]

---

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:54:15 -0800

But, this is the only place that we say a bit setting is set to 1 and is
also marked as reserved.  I think it would be easier, to just update the
documentation to not say it is reserved.  We have lots of other bits set to
1 always, that we do not call reserved.

I think the only other place we have ones in a reserved field is the places
where we set word fields to 0xFFFFFFFF.  And this is where the filed is so
marked because a setting of zero has another semantic.  I do not think that
applies to this bit, best to just update the document and not claim it to
be reserved.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd

Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@[email-masked] on 12/14/2001 09:04:15 AM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  Re: iSCSI: Byte1 Bit 7 Seems Not to be reserved

John,

If you are referring to the fact that a reserved bit has to be 0 - that is
not so.
The statement about reserved is that they are 0 unless explicitly said
otherwise.
There are some other reserved positions that are set to 1.

Julo

                     John                                                
                     Hufferd@IBMUS             To:                       
                                       Julian                            
                     14-12-01 10:24    Satran/Haifa/IB                   
                                       M@IBMIL@IBMDE                     
                                               cc:                       
                                       [email-masked]                   
                                                                         
                                       Subject:                          
                                       iSCSI: Byte1                      
                                       Bit 7 Seems Not                   
                                       to be reserved                    

Julian,

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 06:45:49 +0200

OK - to the todo bucket - julo

John Hufferd@IBMUS
15-12-01 01:54

        To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
        cc:     [email-masked]
        Subject:        Re: iSCSI: Byte1 Bit 7 Seems Not to be reserved

But, this is the only place that we say a bit setting is set to 1 and is 
also marked as reserved.  I think it would be easier, to just update the 
documentation to not say it is reserved.  We have lots of other bits set 
to 1 always, that we do not call reserved. 

I think the only other place we have ones in a reserved field is the 
places where we set word fields to 0xFFFFFFFF.  And this is where the 
filed is so marked because a setting of zero has another semantic.  I do 
not think that applies to this bit, best to just update the document and 
not claim it to be reserved.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd

John, 

Julo 

John Hufferd@IBMUS 

14-12-01 10:24 

        To:        Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL@IBMDE 
        cc:        [email-masked] 
        Subject:        iSCSI: Byte1 Bit 7 Seems Not to be reserved 

Julian, 

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd