Subject: iSCSI:eui64node

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:54:35 -0800

This came up at the last, IETF meeting, and most folks disagreed with it.
But I think it was useful to get it put into a draft form where we could
respond completely.

The Draft seems to confuse the NODE name with a physical HBA ID.  And it is
not obvious that there is a complete understanding of Multiple Connections
per Session as they apply across HBAs (Portals).

I think you were trying to make sure that the WWNN was unique across the
different Gateways, but since it includes a eui that has a vendor ID, you
must be worried about Gateways from the same vendor. (which I also do not
see as a problem which others should worry about).   In any event I did not
fully understand the problem, and the solution was even less clear.

Anyway somehow you are trying to make iSCSI node name be a name of an
adapter, and we took many pains to absolutely avoid that.

I also did not understand in your negotiation examples.

What you are asking for is  iSCSI Initiators to have a 64bit name on top of
the 48 bit ISID and the long REAL node name that can be 255 Bytes long.
Just so some gateway does not coordinate with its partner Gateway.  That
means that either ALL HBAs and iSCSI Device Drivers must deal with this
total name, just in case there is a non coordinating Gateway in the middle
some where.  This does not seem like a good idea to me.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
Internet address: [email-masked]