Subject: iSCSI: One Node or Two?

From: David Dillard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:03:24 -0500

As defined in the latest draft an iSCSI Node "... represents a single iSCSI
initiator or iSCSI target."

By this definition an LU that acts as both an initiator and a target, such
as a data mover for extended copy, is two iSCSI nodes.  This LU will have
two iSCSI names, one for the initiator side of the LU and one for the
target.  Therefore, there will be two  iSNS "entries" for this LU.

My question is: Is this intended?

Regards,

David

---

From: Mark Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:30:25 -0600

David-

The "or" is meant to be a non-exclusive or.  An iSCSI Node can
be both an initiator and a target, and have the same iSCSI name
for both.  See draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-name-disc-04:
           
>           2. iSCSI Names 
>               
>                 The main addressable, discoverable entity in iSCSI is an iSCSI 
>                 Node.  An iSCSI node can be either an initiator, a target, or 
>                 both. 

I agree that we should fix up the wording in the iSCSI draft to
clarify this.  How about changing:

Section 1. Definitions:
>         - iSCSI Name: The name of an iSCSI initiator or iSCSI target.  

To:

        - iSCSI Name: The name of an iSCSI node, which can be an iSCSI
          initiator, target, or both.

2.5.1 iSCSI Architecture Model
>                 b) iSCSI Node - The iSCSI Node represents a single iSCSI 
>                 initiator or iSCSI target.  There are one or more iSCSI 
>                 Nodes within a Network Entity.

To:

                b) iSCSI Node - The iSCSI Node represents a single iSCSI 
                initiator and/or iSCSI target.  An iSCSI Node can be both
                and initiator and a target.  There are one or more iSCSI 
                Nodes within a Network Entity. 

I think that these two changes should clear this up.

--
Mark

-- 
Mark A. Bakke
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]
763.398.1054