Subject: Re: iSCSI: No Framing

From: "Mark S. Edwards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:48:41 +0000

At 10:46 PM 1/29/2002 -0800, WENDT,JIM (HP-Roseville,ex1) wrote:
>Perhaps we should discuss the possibility of not
>specifying any framing mechanism (FIM or COWS) in the
>first version of iSCSI.

Nicely put Jim.  My current opinion is that this issue has contributed to a 
delay in getting this spec out in to the wild.  This issue MUST be closed 
next week and I don't see anything close to a consensus.  My preferred 
approach is to drop this issue now and to look at it at a later date in 
terms of an IPS re-charter when we get to thinking about version 2 of iSCSI 
or have some good approaches proposed by the tsvwg or the RDMA WG.

Mark.

---

From: "Amir Shalit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:28:42 -0800

In second thought this is the preferred solution for now. Not
selecting any type of framing until more progress at the transport
level which may include running iSCSI on a modified TCP protocol etc.

Amir

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Mark S. Edwards
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 9:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iSCSI: No Framing

Mark.