Subject: RE: iSCSI: No Framing

From: Jeff Fellin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:29:32 -0500 (EST)

I agree with Amir's idea about removing the marking and message sync and
recovery is no where near resolution. Removal should allow the rest of the
iSCSI draft to reach consensus.

Jeff Fellin

---

From: "Jim Pinkerton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:21:51 -0800

I also agree with this approach. Consensus is still a way out,
significant work is being done on various fronts to solve some of the
fundamental issues blocking consensus, and we should not block the iSCSI
spec waiting for consensus. 

Rip the sucker out.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Amir Shalit [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 12:29 PM
To: Mark S. Edwards; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: iSCSI: No Framing

In second thought this is the preferred solution for now. Not
selecting any type of framing until more progress at the transport
level which may include running iSCSI on a modified TCP protocol etc.

Amir

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Mark S. Edwards
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 9:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iSCSI: No Framing

At 10:46 PM 1/29/2002 -0800, WENDT,JIM (HP-Roseville,ex1) wrote:
>Perhaps we should discuss the possibility of not
>specifying any framing mechanism (FIM or COWS) in the
>first version of iSCSI.

Nicely put Jim.  My current opinion is that this issue has contributed
to a
delay in getting this spec out in to the wild.  This issue MUST be
closed
next week and I don't see anything close to a consensus.  My preferred
approach is to drop this issue now and to look at it at a later date in
terms of an IPS re-charter when we get to thinking about version 2 of
iSCSI
or have some good approaches proposed by the tsvwg or the RDMA WG.

Mark.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:15:21 -0500

I would note that the most likely approach to "Rip the sucker out"
would be to declare framing to be experimental, allowing the framing
text to be moved to a draft that could become an experimental RFC -
it would not be necessary to bit-bucket the text and lose the
work invested in it.

Thanks,
--David

---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
[email-masked]         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------

> From: Jim Pinkerton [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 6:22 PM
> To: Amir Shalit; Mark S. Edwards; [email-masked]