Subject: iSCSI: X-bit in Login

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:58:28 -0800

All,

It seems to me that we do not need the X-bit even in the Login PDU.

"Connection reinstatement"/"implicit connection logout" can be implicitly 
signaled by using an active ISID-TSID-CID combination to request the
target to implicitly logout the connection state machine for the CID.  This is 
conceptually nothing but the "option A" choice we made for implicit 
session logout sometime ago (remember the "reusing ISID for recovery" 
thread?), albeit at the connection level.  As far as I can tell, the current 
X-bit in Login PDU is similar to the C-bit that we considered and rejected 
for "implicit" session logout.  I suggest we apply the same design principle 
here.

I propose that the draft should continue to formally define the notion of 
"connection reinstatement" with the existing rules on its usage, but retire 
the X-bit to make that bit position reserved.  Leaving the X-bit in would only 
lead to needless error cases.

Comments?
--
Mallikarjun

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
Networked Storage Architecture
Network Storage Solutions Organization
Hewlett-Packard MS 5668 
Roseville CA 95747