Subject: Piggyback status gripe

From: "Mark S. Edwards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 14:48:46 +0000

Over the last several weeks, I have found myself testing against some 
version 8 initiators that do not understand that a good status can be 
carried piggyback fashion in the DATA-IN PDU, as indicated by the 'S' bit.

This makes life very difficult for a target, and takes a while to analyse 
the situation to find out what is wrong.

Can I draw initiator writers (especially those in the Windows arena) 
attention to the text in 3.7 of both draft 8 and draft 9 and the equivalent 
text in 10.7 of draft 10.

Initiators MUST cope with both cases of either a DATA-IN with the 'S' bit 
set, or a separate SCSI Response PDU, it's not up to the target to 
telepathically cope with which behaviour the initiator expects.  For 
performance sake, most targets will piggyback the status in the DATA-IN PDU 
and this hangs a couple of initiators.

Could the participants of next weeks Plugfest actively check for this 
compliance ?

Regards,

Mark.

---

From: Stephen Schaeffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:46:35 -0500

Mark,

We will indeed write this into our recommended interop procedure.

We are in the process of finishing up the interop suite, but if anyone would
like a copy please ping me, and I'll send you a copy of the current version. I
intend to release the final thing in all it's glory soon.

Stephen

--

Stephen Schaeffer
Fibre Channel and iSCSI Consortia Manager
InterOperability Lab, University of New Hampshire

Email: [email-masked]
Phone: 603-862-5083
Lab Phone: 603-862-0701
URL: www.iol.unh.edu