Subject: iSCSI: Boolean value (yes, no) negotiation

From: "Lakshmi Ramasubramanian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:26:07 -0800

Could someone please clarify Boolean key=value usage
(such as "ImmediateData=yes", etc)?

For example, the initiator sends to target "ImmediateData=no". 
But the target wants ImmediateData. So, it sends back
"ImmediateData=yes".
The initiator, being able to handle it, sends back "ImmediateData=no".
Now, they use immediate data in the PDUs. 

Is this valid? Or, in the above case if the target can't handle 
non-immediate data it has to reject the login ?

thanks!
 -lakshmi

---

From: "Rahul Bhagwat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:37:00 +0530

I believe a key is not negotiated thrice as you have pointed out.
That is a sender offers a value, receiver offers it's own and that's it.
(I think specs has a mention that a key cannot be negotiated
twice. This example falls into that category.)
The result of the negotiation is key dependent.
For example, in this particular key, when initiator sends 
ImmediateData=no, the negotiation is over as this is an
AND function. However it is not an error to send back a
response. In any case, the outcome of the result was decided
for the initiator when it sent the key first and for the target when
it received the key.

Regards,
Rahul