Subject: iSCSI bridge and gateway issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:26:11 -0500

At the Huntington Beach interim meeting last week, a couple
of brave souls talked to the IPS WG about specific issues
that arise in bridges and/or gateways from iSCSI to other
SCSI protocols.  The overall conclusion from the meeting is
that rather than dealing with individual issues in this area
as they arise, the right thing to do is to start with a survey
of potential problems in this area and things to do or not
do to avoid them.  This would be an Implementer's Guide
sort of document whose goal would be to warn implementers
of bridges and gateways about things that could go wrong and
how to avoid them using iSCSI as it currently stands - the
likely destination of this document would be an Informational
RFC.

The two people who gave these presentations have agreed to
form the core of a team to produce this document - for now,
this will be a team effort open to anyone who wants to contribute.
Those who are interested should contact these two individuals
directly,

	Dave Peterson [[email-masked]]
	Robert Grant [[email-masked]]

With a good effort here, we can help iSCSI avoid the sort of
issues that have caused problems for bridges between parallel
SCSI and Fibre Channel.  Anyone who has experience with such
issues/problems is encouraged to contribute to this effort.

Thanks,
--David

---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
[email-masked]         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------