Subject: Please help

From: "Ephi Dror" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:46:46 -0800

Dear Costa and all,
 
I saw yours posting long ago about NFS V2/V3 header splitting technique
(http://www.pdl.cmu.edu/mailinglists/ips/mail/msg00075.html ) and I
would just like to ask if I may a quick question.
 
In CIFS, you said it may be costly to perform it since it does not have
fix size trailer.
 
>From my understanding, if I just interested in splitting  SMB read
respond and write request commands from their payloads, all I need is to
parse the header by hunting for those commands and then for each of
those commands, the actual payload starts at the offset specified by a
field called  DataOffset.
 
So to me it does not look like it cost much to do header split for the
few commands that are important.
 
Of course, do a pure header split of all SMB commands from their payload
could be costly in terms of firmware code space and performance.

Am I missing some thing big time here?
 
I really appreciate and respect your view on this subject.
 
Cheers,
Ephi