Subject: Login Proposal

From: Subrahmanya Sastry K V <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:34:13 +0530

The recent plugfest highlighted areas of the login procedure that could
be
improved.
With this in mind, Bob Russell, Marjorie Krueger, and myself have been
working on
a proposal for the Login procedure.

Our goals were to keep it inline as much as possible with 0.7 of the
specification and
to ensure connectivity can be maintained amongst target and initiators. 
I
believe we
have meet all the goals we set out to do.

I have also attached a Login Reference Model (in the form of c code)
which
backs up
our proposal.  Please note that the reference model is only a reference
model and should
not be considered as, or be part of the iSCSI specification.

Cheers

Matthew Burbridge
Marjorie Krueger
Bob Russell

++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Login Proposal:

Definitions:
FBit means "I have nothing (more) to negotiate"
Request: The first occurrence of a Text Parameter from the initiator or
the
target. A request 
         MUST be answered with a reply.
Reply: A Text Parameter that is a response to a Request.
Negotiation: A request followed by a response.

1.1 Actions at the Initiator

The initiator starts the login phase by sending a Login Command PDU.

The IIN MUST be present in the login command.  The SessionType MUST be
present if the
session type is Discovery, Boot or CopyManager.  It MAY be present if
SessionType=Normal.
The ITN MUST be present unless SessionType=Discovery when it is
optional.
The initiator
MUST NOT send operational text parameters in the login command.  The
table
below defines
the parameter present in the login command.

        SessionType        SessionType          IIN               ITN
                           Present in        Present in        Present
in
                             Login?            Login?            Login?

          Normal            Optional            Yes               Yes
           Boot               Yes               Yes               Yes
        CopyManager           Yes               Yes               Yes
         Discovery            Yes               Yes             Optional

SecurityContextComplete=yes MUST NOT be present in the login command
Operational Parameters MUST NOT be present in the login command

At anytime the initiator MAY terminate the login killing the TCP
connection.

If the initiator requires security negotiation it MUST send one or more
security
parameters: (AuthMethod, HeaderDigest, DataDigest) in the login command.

             Fbit     Security
                     Parameters     Description
                      Present

              0          No         Initiator has no security parameters
                                    to negotiate but has operational
parameters
                                    to negotiate.
 
              0          Yes        The initiator wants to negotiate
security.

              1          No         The initiator has no security
parameters
to
                                    negotiate and no operational
parameters
to
                                    negotiate.

              1         Yes         ILLEGAL.  Target must reject login
                                    (Login Status = 0200)

1.2 Actions at the Target

On receipt of the Login Command the target MUST respond according to the
rules below:

If the InitiatorName is not present the target MUST reject the login
by sending a Login Response with FBit=1 and StatusCode=0200.  Similary,
if
the
SessionType is not Discovery and the TargetName is not present the
target
MUST
reject the login by sending a Login Response with FBit=1 and
StatusCode=0200. It
both cases the target should kill the TCP connection after the login
response has
successfully been sent.

At anytime the target MAY terminate the login by sending a login
response
with
the FBit set to 1 and a non-zero StatusCode. The target should kill the
TCP
connection after the login response has successfully been sent.

If the login command contains security parameters, the target MUST enter
the
security
phase of the login.  It MUST send response to those security parameters
and
MAY start
negotiating security parameters if the parameters that it wants to
negotiate
are not
in the Login command.  The target responses with a Text Response (F=0).

If the login command does not contain security parameters the target
MUST
perform one
of the two actions below:

      a) If the target requires security negotiation to be performed,
then
it MUST
         enter the security phase and MUST send a text response
containing
one or
         more security parameters and F=0.

      b) If the target does not require security negotiation (and
therefore
neither
         does the initiator) it MUST perform one of the actions defined
by
the table
         below.

              Initiator    Target has     Action
                FBit       params to
                           negotiate

                 0            No         Send Text Response with F=1
(Initiator
                                         only wants to negotiate
operational
                                         parameters).

                 0            Yes        Send Text Response with
operation
params
                                         If all parameters can be sent
in
                                         a single response then F=1 else
F=0
                                         (Both target and initiator want
to
                                         negotiate operational
parameters).

                 1            No         Send Login Response with F=1.
(Neither target
                                         nor initiator want to negotiate
operational
                                         parameters).

                 1            Yes        Send Text Response. If all
parameters can be
                                         sent in a single response then
F=1
else
                                         F=0 (Target only wants to
negotiate
                                         operational parameters).

1.3 General Rules

If an initiator or target has text parameters (security or operational)
to
negotiate
then it MUST send them at the earliest opportunity and it MUST NOT send
an
empty text
command.

An initiator or target MUST respond to the a text parameter request with
a
text parameter
response in the next text PDU to be sent.

Once an initiator or target has completed initiating negotiations
(security
or operational)
it MUST not initiate any more of the same type (security or
operational).
In other
words it can not go backwards.

Operational Parameters MUST NOT be negotiated during the security phase.
Security Parameters MUST NOT be negotiated during the operartional
phase.

When a party has no more text parameters to negotiate then the FBit MUST
be set in the PDU containing the last text parameter request and all
subsequent
PDUs.  For example: if an initiator only wants to negotiate
"InitialR2T=yes"
and no others, then it MUST set the FBit to 1 in the commands containing
"InitialR2T=yes".

Once the FBit has been set to 1, it MUST not be set back to 0.  Also, if
the FBit is 1 then the party MUST not instigate anymore text parameter
negotiations.  It can only respond to requests from the other party.

If FMarker=yes then SFMarkInt and RFMarkInt MUST be present in the same
Text PDU as FMarker=yes.  If FMarker=no then SHOULD NOT be present.  If
they
are then the remote party MUST reply to them and echo the values sent in
the
initial PDU.

1.4 Completion of Security Phase
[Authors note: This section has been extracted from v0.7 but I have made
some
clarifications to the version 0.7 spec. - Changes in CAPITALS]

          -Every party in the security negotiation MUST [Added MUST]
           indicate that it has completed building its security context
           (has all the required information) by sending the key=value
pair:

              SecurityContextComplete=yes 
            
           The other party either offers some more SECURITY parameters
or
answers 
           with the same: 
            
              SecurityContextComplete=yes 

           The party that is ready MUST [Added MUST] keep sending the 
           SecurityContextComplete=yes pair (in addition to new security 
           Parameter REPLYS if required) until the handshake is
complete. 
	   Once the party has set SecurityContextComplete=yes it MUST
           not instigate anymore negotiations but it MUST respond to any
           requests from the other pary.
            
           If the initiator has been the last to complete the SECUIRTY
PHASE
it 
           MUST NOT start sending operational parameters within the same 
           text command; a text response including only 
           SecurityContextComplete=yes concludes the security sub-phase. 
            
           If the target has been the last to complete the SECURITY
PHASE,
the 
           initiator can start the operational parameter negotiation
with 
           the next text command; the security negotiation sub-phase
ends 
           with the target text response. 
            
           The SecurityContextComplete handshake MUST be performed if
any 
           of negotiating parties has offered a security/integrity item 
           (even if it is not selected). 
            
           All PDUs sent after the security negotiation sub phase MUST
be 
           built using the agreed security.  

This proposal removes from 0.7 of the spec:
Partial Login response: It no longer coveys any information.
OpParamReset: No longer required as operational parameters can not be
negotiated
during security phase.

Keep:
SecurityContextComplete=yes.  This is how 0.7 works.  If people disagree
then
we can vote and change it.

Matthew Burbridge
Senior Development Engineer
NIS-Bristol
Hewlett Packard
Telnet: 312 7010
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:55:31 -0800

I do not see why this is needed, almost everyone has moved on from v0.7,
and we have overtly left boot sessions, and copy manager session behind.
Everyone I talked to at the last plugfest got through login without a
significant issue.

This seems a bit strange to bring this up now.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
Internet address: [email-masked]

Subrahmanya Sastry K V <[email-masked]>@ece.cmu.edu on 02/25/2002
08:04:13 PM

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>, "'Julian Satran'"
       <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:    Login Proposal

Cheers

Matthew Burbridge
Marjorie Krueger
Bob Russell

++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Login Proposal:

Definitions:

          Normal            Optional            Yes               Yes
           Boot               Yes               Yes               Yes
        CopyManager           Yes               Yes               Yes

             Fbit     Security
                     Parameters     Description
                      Present

1.3 General Rules

Keep:

Matthew Burbridge

---

From: "BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:09:25 -0000

Subrahmanya,

I can only presume that you sent this by mistake.  If you have any other
reasons please can you explain them.  As John mentioned this is very old
stuff.

Cheers

Matthew Burbridge

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hufferd [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 12:56 AM
To: Subrahmanya Sastry K V
Cc: [email-masked]'; 'Julian Satran'
Subject: Re: Login Proposal

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd

Cheers

Matthew Burbridge
Marjorie Krueger
Bob Russell

++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Login Proposal:

Definitions:

          Normal            Optional            Yes               Yes
           Boot               Yes               Yes               Yes
        CopyManager           Yes               Yes               Yes

             Fbit     Security
                     Parameters     Description
                      Present

1.3 General Rules

Keep:

Matthew Burbridge