Subject: Full Feature Phase and Digests

From: "Randy Jennings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:25:26 -0800

I am not sure if this is the place for me to ask this question, so forgive
me if I am out of line.

Is there a difference between S5: LOGGED_IN and Full Feature Phase (a.k.a.
full-feature phase in some parts of the document; it would be nice if they
were all the same; I am not a regex guru)?

If so, and I understand the digest section, neither the logout or login
PDU's will have digests on them.  I believe this holds even after the first
connection of the session, because later connections are not yet in Full
Feature Phase (S5).

I.e.  Only iSCSI op codes 0x00, 0x01, 0x02, 0x04, 0x05, 0x010, 0x1c-0x1e
(maybe) for the initiator, and 0x20, 0x21, 0x22, 0x24, 0x25, 0x31, 0x32,
0x3c-0x3e (maybe), 0x3f for the target (anything not Logout or Login) will
have the Digests and they must have them if stated in Login of the session?

Am I right?

TIA

Sincerely,
Randy Jennings
Data Transit

---

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:51:18 -0800

Randy,

Sorry for the delay in responding to this...

> were all the same

LOGGED_IN marks the beginning of the full-feature phase, IN_LOGOUT
and LOGOUT_REQUESTED (states S6 and S8) also are full-feature phase
states.  

> connection of the session, because later connections are not yet in Full

Logout may have digests if so negotiated -  please refer section 9.14.

In short, every PDU that is used in FFP (i.e. any PDU other than Login and Login 
Response PDUs) may have digests if so negotiated - section 11.1 clearly states this.

Regards.
--
Mallikarjun

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
Networked Storage Architecture
Network Storage Solutions Organization
Hewlett-Packard MS 5668 
Roseville CA 95747
[email-masked]

---

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:50:45 -0800

Randy,

Regards.
--
Mallikarjun

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka

---

From: "Randy Jennings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:16:57 -0800

Okay, I understand my question now.  Thank you for explaining it to me.

> Response PDUs) may have digests if so negotiated - section 11.1

What you say makes sense.  Take a look at the "Symbolic names for States"
under table 5.1.2 for my confusion on LOGGED_IN.  I think that is its
source.

Also, I searched on full feature phase, full-feature phase, and Full Feature
Phase (Did I miss any?  FullFeaturePhase is a bit name and understandably a
different object.), but I am still having trouble understanding when the
connection leaves Full Feature Phase.

Is it when both sides have sent the TCP FIN bit, or does it end when sending
a certain iSCSI PDU?  I am inclined to believe the former for simplicity's
sake.  The text talks about Full Feature Phase ending as a target/initiator
session attribute, but not Full Feature Phase ending as a connection
attribute as far as I can tell.  (Full Feature Phase is an attribute of the
connection according to the last partial sentence on page 36).

Or is this picking nits?

Sincerely,
Randy Jennings
Data Transit

---

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:34:11 -0800

Randy,

First off, there was a typo in my earlier email -

" LOGGED_IN marks the beginning of the full-feature phase, IN_LOGOUT
  and LOGOUT_REQUESTED (states S6 and S8) .."

I should have typed "S7" instead of "S8" - sorry.

Thanks for pointing out 5.1.2!  I will remove the paranthesized text,
and add the above clarification instead to the text.

You aren't nit-picking - these are the questions we asked earlier ourselves.
I believe the first para on page 37 answers your questions - FFP ends 
right after Logout Response (sent/received based on the role) if Logout did
take place, or else on transport connection removal.

Thanks!
--
Mallikarjun

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka