Subject: iSCSI: Initiator Task Tag Question

From: "McGowen, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:21:25 -0600

Section 9.2.1.7 of the iSCSI spec states that SCSI may use the initiator
task tag as part of the SCSI task identifier.  Both SAM (Object
Definition 7: Task) and SAM-2 (subclause 4.9.2) state that a task tag
may be up to 64 bits.  Yet the iSCSI initiator task tag is only 32-bits.
Is there a disconnect between iSCSI and SAM-2?

Mike

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:06:48 +0200

No there is no diconnect. The statement you quote says "as part of" - i.e. 
you may use it is or fill it
with some other identifying pieces. SCSI is also stating "up to 64 bits". 
For the iSCSI part 32 bits are all that is needed.  The only limitation we 
impose is that SCSI initiators will not be able to convey task tags larger 
that 32 bits - and we share this limitation with several other transports.

Julo

"McGowen, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
11-03-02 23:21
Please respond to "McGowen, Mike"

        To:     <[email-masked]>
        cc: 
        Subject:        iSCSI:  Initiator Task Tag Question

Mike