Subject: RE:

From: Eddy Quicksall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 07:39:20 -0500

A dash is also used for negative numbers (we don't have any yet but could in
the future).

It doesn't look cool but how about the semi-colon?

Eddy

-----Original Message-----
From: Luben Tuikov [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 1:53 AM
To: Rod Harrison
Cc: Julian Satran; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: 

Rod Harrison wrote:

> 	I would prefer one character. I don't care what it is, any character
> will do, but having only one there is slightly easier to parse that
> having two.

I strongly agree.

A single character, anyone indeed.

Maybe a dash/minus ``-'' (0x2d).

I don't think we'd ever need to pass
arithmetic expressions, so a minus would do...

-- 
Luben

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 07:36:31 -0800 (PST)

> A dash is also used for negative numbers (we don't have any yet but could in

True, but is that a concern here? For a range, you have to have two
numbers with the dash/minus between them. "-number" would not be a
valid range. So even if we ever get negative numbers, ranges should be
readily different.

The only point of confusion would be if we ever permitted algebraic
expressions, when the '-' would look like subtraction. But I think that
would neither be sensible nor likely.

Take care,

Bill