Subject: IPS: Status of drafts

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 20:19:36 -0500

Here's what the chairs believe the current status of all
drafts in the IPS WG.  This is also the reading list for
the Minneapolis meetings.  Agenda should be out sometime
early next week.  Thanks, --David

IETF IP Storage (ips) Working Group
WG Internet-Draft Status: March 2002
------------------------------------

NOTE: PDF versions for some drafts are for ease of review only.  The
	definitive format for RFCs is text, and it is the text versions
	that will be forwarded to the IESG for their consideration to
	be published as RFCs.

-- Security for all IPS protocols

draft-ietf-ips-security-11.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  Getting close to done - no major
	open issues known, expect WG Last Call shortly after Minneapolis
	meeting.

-- iSCSI

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-11.txt
draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-11.pdf
	To become a proposed standard RFC.
	Almost done, no major technical issues outstanding, aside from
	SRP MUST/SHOULD/MAY requirement level (intellectual property
	rights issues).  	Draft needs at least one more editorial and
	cleanup pass, and then should be ready for WG Last Call.

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-boot-05.txt
	To become an informational RFC, after the main iSCSI document.
	draft-sarkar-dhc-iscsi-boot-00.txt, describing the use of DHCP
		to distribute iSCSI root volume location has been folded
		back into this draft after consultation with the DHC WG.
	Basically done.

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-reqmts-05.txt
	To become an informational RFC.  The IESG has requested minor
	changes.  Resulting -06 version will go to IETF Last Call.

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-name-disc-05.txt
	To become a proposed standard RFC - this is a CHANGE, it was
	previously to become informational.  Would be reorganized to
	separate normative and non-normative text and then should be
	ready for WG Last Call shortly after Minneapolis meeting.  The
	alternative of moving the normative text to the main iSCSI draft
	so that this draft can remain informational will be discussed
	in Minneapolis.

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-slp-03.txt
	To become a proposed standard RFC.
	Close to done.  Issues in this general area seem to come up in
		the context of the iSCSI naming and discovery draft
		(draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-name-disc-05) rather than this draft.
	WG Last Call will be after the naming and discovery draft.

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-string-prep-00.txt
	To become a proposed standard RFC.  Not controversial - will go to
	WG Last Call shortly if there are no delays to the base stringprep
	draft that it depends on (draft-hoffman-stringprep in the IDN WG).

draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-mib-04.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  Close to done.
	WG Last Call will follow main iSCSI draft.
	Structure diagram available at:
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/mbakke/ips/iscsi-mib/working/Visio-ietf-iscsi-uml-mod
el-04.pdf

draft-ietf-ips-auth-mib-00.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC. User identity information MIB split
	out from basic iSCSI MIB for more general use, but currently only
	being used for iSCSI.  Will go to WG Last Call with the iSCSI MIB.
	Structure diagram available at:
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/mbakke/ips/auth-mib/Visio-ietf-ips-auth-mib-00.pdf

draft-sheinwald-iscsi-crc-01.txt
	The authors would like the IPS WG to recommend publication of this
	draft (or a revised version) as an informational RFC, based on the
	useful information it contains that helped the WG decide which CRC
	to use for iSCSI.

-- FC Common Encapsulation

draft-ietf-ips-fcencapsulation-06.txt
draft-ietf-ips-fcencapsulation-06.pdf
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  In WG Last Call, which will end on
	March 18.

-- FCIP

draft-ietf-ips-fcovertcpip-09.txt
draft-ietf-ips-fcovertcpip-09.pdf
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  In WG Last Call, which will end on
	March 18.

draft-ietf-ips-fcip-slp-01.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  May need security text update, but
	is basically done and stable.

draft-ietf-ips-fcip-mib-01.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  Has been restructured to align with
	new structure of FC Management MIB.

-- iFCP

draft-ietf-ips-ifcp-10.txt
draft-ietf-ips-ifcp-10.pdf
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  In WG Last Call, which will end on
	March 18.

draft-ietf-ips-ifcp-mib-00.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  Basically done.
	
-- iSNS

draft-ietf-ips-isns-08.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  Basically done.
		WG Last Call to follow iSCSI and iFCP drafts.
	The related draft-tseng-dhc-isnsoption-00.txt requests allocation
		of a DHC option code for iSNS, and will be discussed in the
		DHC WG.

draft-ietf-ips-isns-mib-01.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  Basically done.  
	
-- SCSI MIB

draft-ietf-ips-scsi-mib-02.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  Work in progress.  Structure diagram
		available at:
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/mbakke/ips/scsi-mib/Visio-scsi-uml-model-01.pdf
	Diagram showing relationships among SCSI family of MIBS available
at:
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/mbakke/ips/scsi-mib/Visio-scsi-mib-family-01.pdf

-- Fibre Channel Management MIB

draft-ietf-ips-fcmgmt-mib-01.txt
	To be a proposed standard RFC.  This work has been transferred
	to the IPS WG from the IPFC WG, and the scope has been expanded
	to include replacement of the FC Fabric Element MIB (RFC 2837).
	Work in progress.

----- Document Completion Guesstimates ------

A rough guess is 3 waves of documents:

(1) Main protocol standards.  WG Last Call is in progress (completes
	on March 18) for:
		- FC Encapsulation
		- FCIP
		- iFCP
	WG Last Call expected shortly after Minneapolis meeting for
		- iSCSI
		- iSCSI Naming/Discovery
		- iSCSI stringprep
		- IPS Security

(2) Supporting Protocol Documents.  WG Last Call expected shortly after
	the iSCSI and IPS Security Last Calls for:
		- iSCSI Boot
		- iSCSI SLP
		- FCIP SLP
		- iSNS

(3) MIBs To follow supporting documents, probably in multiple groups over
	time, as the MIB maturities vary from the iSCSI MIB (close to done)
	to the SCSI and FC Management MIBs (work in progress).
		- iSCSI MIB
		- FCIP MIB
		- iFCP MIB
		- iSNS MIB
		- SCSI MIB
		- FC Management MIB
	Expect multiple Last Call periods, rather than putting all the MIBs
	through WG Last Call at once.  Some of these WG Last Calls are very
	likely to take place prior to the Yokohama meeting.

-- Potential Additional Work

Additional drafts may be forthcoming in the future on:
	- Issues involving embedding MACs and the like in iSCSI names
		and identifiers (informational)
	- Issues that arise in gateways and bridges between iSCSI and other
		SCSI protocols (informational)
	- Additional MIB(s) that extend the FC Management MIB to cover
		additional aspects of Fibre Channel (standards track)