Subject: FCIP: Comment 125

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 19:27:23 -0700

Ralph,

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-fcip-wglc-01.pdf
....
> Please review these comments resolutions to ensure that
> the desired changes are described.

Sorry for the delayed review, I have additional comments on wglc-01
for Comment 125.

Regards.
--
Mallikarjun

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
Networked Storage Architecture
Network Storage Solutions Organization
Hewlett-Packard MS 5668 
Roseville CA 95747
[email-masked]

>Comment 125
>> 9.1.2.3 Connection Setup After a Successful TCP Connect Request
>......
>> If the echoed FCIP Special Frame bytes do not exactly match the
>> FCIP Special Frame bytes sent (words 7 through 17 inclusive), the
>> FCIP Entity SHALL close the TCP Connection and notify the FC
>> Entity with the reason for the closure.
>Seems like all the 11 words are required to be compared. If so, what
>is the Ch bit being used for? IOW, why SHALL it be set by the
>responder?
>Inquiry
>The Ch bit serves to identify the difference between changes
>made intentionally by the echoing FCIP Entity and changes that
>result from transmission errors.

OK, but I don't see how is this distinction may be made use of by the 
receiver.  IIRC, any comparison failure (Ch bit or not) leads to a 
connection drop.  Is Ch bit then intended only for diagnostics?

---

From: Ralph Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 09:41:28 -0500

Mallikarjun,

> connection drop.  Is Ch bit then intended only for diagnostics?

If the Ch bit is zero, the poor-man's SLP receiver cannot inspect the 
contents of the Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name field to
determine the correct Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name
value.

If the Ch bit is one, the poor-man's SLP receiver can inspect the 
contents of the Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name field
to determine the correct Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name
value. As David has pointed out, the FC Fabric Entity World Wide
Name value determined in this was is itself subject to potential
corruption. However, the only result of that corruption is that
the subsequent connection setup will fail because the FC Fabric 
Entity World Wide Name will be wrong.

Thanks.

.Ralph

---

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 11:10:08 -0700

Ralph,

Thanks for the explanation.  I see the value of Ch bit.
--
Mallikarjun

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka