Subject: iSCSI and IPSec

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:13:43 -0700

Hi,

Is IPSec supported in iSCSI? and if so, is it optional to use or mandatory?

Thanks,
Shahram

---

From: Srinivasa Addepalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 13:20:23 -0700 (PDT)

Text from IPS ipsec draft:

"While IP block storage security is mandatory to implement, it is not
mandatory to use.  The security services used depend on the
configuration and security policies put in place.  For example,
configuration will influence the authentication algorithm negotiated
within iSCSI Login, as well as the security services (encryption,
authentication, integrity, replay protection) and transforms negotiated
when IPsec is used to protect IP block storage protocols such as iSCSI,
iFCP and FCIP."

Hope it helps.

Srini

-- 
Srinivasa Rao Addepalli
Intoto Inc. (Enabling Security Infrastructure)
3160, De La Cruz Blvd #100
Santa Clara, CA
USA
http://www.intotoinc.com

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 13:01:45 -0700 (PDT)

> Is IPSec supported in iSCSI? and if so, is it optional to use or mandatory?

IPsec is a MUST. Though you can get away with just tunnel mode.

Take care,

Bill