Subject: RE: Question about unsolicited data in 12-95

From: "THALER,PAT (A-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 18:38:43 -0600

<snip> 

I suggest we change the first full sentance to:

    rate iSCSI data PDUs. An initiator may send unsolicited data as imme-
    diate up to the negotiated maximum PDU size, in a separate PDU
    sequence (up to the FirstBurstSize), or both. All subsequent data
    MUST be solicited. ...

<PAT> The "or both" implies that when sending both the data sent can total 
maximum PDU size plus FirstBurstSize which isn't what was wanted. You could 
fix it by just leaving the description of the length rules to the parameters
where they are covered:
    rate iSCSI data PDUs. An initiator may send unsolicited data as imme-
    diate, in a separate PDU sequence or both. All subsequent data
    MUST be solicited. ...
or one could write:
    rate iSCSI data PDUs. An initiator may send unsolicited data up to 
    FirstBurstSize as immediate (up to the negotiated maximum PDU size), 
    in a separate PDU sequence or both. All subsequent data
    MUST be solicited. ...

The same problem occurs in the text you suggested for the third paragraph.
The existing text in that paragraph is accurate though it doesn't 
explicitly mention that sending FirstBurstSize of data may be done 
with a combination of immediate data and unsolicited data. It could be
left as it is.

Pat

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 17:54:25 -0700 (PDT)

> fix it by just leaving the description of the length rules to the parameters

I'd vote for that.

> with a combination of immediate data and unsolicited data. It could be

I'd vote we make some change. With the existing text, I was confused about
this point until I read section 11.10 & 11.12 (quite a distance from this
text) and asked the list. :-)

Take care,

Bill