Subject: RE: iSCSI-12-95: header digest error clarification

From: "THALER,PAT (A-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 12:56:50 -0600

Paul,

I started to write text like that, but it subtlely disallows some
reasonable alternatives. For instance, if you use FIM to find the
a header, you haven't determined where the PDU ends and you may be
discarding multiple PDUs so the simpler text would require closing
the connection.

That is why I wrote in terms of finding a valid header and discarding
up to the header.

Regards,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Koning [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 11:29 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: iSCSI-12-95: header digest error clarification

>>>>> "pat" == pat thaler <[email-masked]> writes:

 pat> Julian, I'm not sure how explicit we have to be about the
 pat> solution, but right now there is a MUST that isn't really
 pat> achievable. It says one MUST discard the PDU but the
 pat> implementation doesn't know what the PDU is. One possibility is:
 
 pat> ... MUST close the connection or attempt to find a valid header
 pat> and discard everything from the bad header to the valid header.
 
 pat> or
 
 pat> ... MUST attempt to discard the PDU. However, if the length
 pat> field was corrupted, the boundary of the PDU is unclear. If the
 pat> apparent header following the discarded PDU also has a digest
 pat> error, the initiator/target MAY close the connection or attempt
 pat> to find a valid header and discard everything from the bad
 pat> header to the valid header.

How about a simpler statement:
    ... MUST either discard the PDU, if it can determine where the PDU
    ends, or close the connection.

    paul

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 15:07:08 -0400

>>>>> "Pat" == A-Roseville,ex1  <THALER> writes:

 Pat> Paul, I started to write text like that, but it subtlely
 Pat> disallows some reasonable alternatives. For instance, if you use
 Pat> FIM to find the a header, you haven't determined where the PDU
 Pat> ends and you may be discarding multiple PDUs so the simpler text
 Pat> would require closing the connection.

 Pat> That is why I wrote in terms of finding a valid header and
 Pat> discarding up to the header.

Good point.  With that in mind I prefer your first suggested text.

     paul
 -----

 pat> or...