Subject: RE: iSCSI: corrections to Appendix D:SendTargets

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 19:02:07 -0600

Marjorie, 

IP addresses shouldn't be changed to TCP addresses because that could
be interpreted as meaning it needs to support SendTargets on ports connected to 
non-iSCSI ports.

Thinking about that, I also don't think it should be required to support 
disovery sessions on each IP address. It seems reasonable for a system to have
some IP addresses that aren't connected to an iSCSI protocol at all. For example
one might build a box with storage that does both iSCSI and NAT and one might choose
to use different IP addresses for those two services. One might do that because the 
services are on different LAN interfaces or for numerous other reasons. 

I think the text should be something more like: "on each IP address that supports
iSCSI".

Regards,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)

to the following:

     A system that contains targets MUST support discovery sessions on each 
     of its TCP addresses, and MUST support the SendTargets command on the 
     discovery session.  A target MUST return all path information (TCP 
     addresses and portal group tags) for the target in question for
     which the requesting initiator is authorized.

     A target MUST support the SendTargets command on operational sessions;
     these will only return path information about the target to which 
     the session is connected, and need not return information about other 
     target names that may be defined in the responding device.

This is just an explicit statement of what's implicit in the current
appendix.  I corrected "IP address" to "TCP address" cause it's the TCP
listening port that must provide the discovery session.

Also, on page 234, the paragraph:

     After obtaining a list of targets from the discovery target session, 
     an iSCSI initiator may initiate new sessions to log in to the discov-
     ered targets for full operation.  The initiator MAY keep the session 
     to a default target open, and MAY send subsequently SendTargets com-
     mands to discover new targets.

Should be changed to 

     After obtaining a list of targets from the discovery target session, 
     an iSCSI initiator may initiate new sessions to log in to the discov-
     ered targets for full operation.  The initiator MAY keep the discovery
     session open, and MAY send subsequently SendTargets commands to
discover
     new targets.

On page 235, the paragraphs:

     In the above example, a DNS host name could have been returned instead 
     of an IP address, and that an IPv6 addresses (5 to 16 dotted-decimal 
     numbers) could have also been returned.

     The next text response shows a target that supports spanning sessions 
     across multiple addresses, which indicates the use of the portal group 
     tags:

Should be

     In the above example, a DNS host name or an IPv6 address (5 to 16
     dotted-decimal numbers) could have been returned instead 
     of an IPv4 address.

     The next text response shows a target that supports spanning sessions 
     across multiple addresses, and illustrates further the use of the
portal
     group tags:

Thanks,
Marjorie

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:40:56 -0700 (PDT)

> I think the text should be something more like: "on each IP address that supports

I see your point, but I also see Marjorie's point.

How about "on each TCP port that supports iSCSI." ? That way we are
sepecific that we're talking about TCP, and that only iSCSI-related ports
support discovery sessions, which I think is the intent of the WG. :-)

Take care,

Bill