Subject: RE: iscsi: unsolicited data question

From: "Ranganathan, Deva" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:59:28 -0700

"tells me that a target, at all times during a data sequence transfer, can
be

one or the other, but not both (non R2T for the initial data out, R2T for
the
remaining data).  Is this correct?"
 
really? I thought thatit is permissible to have non-R2T for the initial data
out and R2T for
remaining. i.e for a 64K transfer, the first 32K can be the first burst size
of data and
the next 32K will be solicited by the target through R2T. Am I missing
something?

-Deva

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 6:05 AM
To: Dennis Young
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iscsi: unsolicited data question

yes - julo 

	Dennis Young <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked] 

06/12/2002 06:20 AM 
Please respond to Dennis Young 

        To:        [email-masked] 
        cc:         
        Subject:        iscsi: unsolicited data question 

I have a question which has been asked before, but I couldn't find a direct 
answer in the archive.  The table on page 200 of draft 12 doesn't directly
answer this question either.

The first paragraph on page 36 of draft 12 says "Targets operate in either 
solicitied (R2T) data mode or unsolicited (non R2T) data mode."
tells me that a target, at all times during a data sequence transfer, can be

one or the other, but not both (non R2T for the initial data out, R2T for
the
remaining data).  Is this correct?

Thanks,
Dennis

---snip from an old email dated 3/30/2001---

" Hi Julian 
Sorry if I'm covering old ground... Is it possible to use unsolicited data
for the first burst and then request any remaining data using R2T? For
example, if the target has a previously allocated buffer available (length
defined by FirstBurstSize) for unsolicited data, then once the initiator has
sent unsolicited data up to and including this amount then the remaining
data (if any) can be requested using R2T once the target has the buffer
space available. 
...Matthew Burbridge Hewlett Packard, Bristol Telnet: 312 7010 E-mail:
[email-masked] "

---

From: "Karthik Selvan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 01:10:59 -0700

Hi

really? I thought thatit is permissible to have non-R2T for the initial
data out and R2T for
remaining. i.e for a 64K transfer, the first 32K can be the first burst
size of data and
the next 32K will be solicited by the target through R2T. Am I missing
something?
 
 <karthik> when we are doing first 32k, we are operating in unsolicited
mode. For next 32k we are operating in solicited mode.
So we are not operating at both the mode at the same time. For first 32k
unsolicited mode we have to make sure that InitialR2T=no and 32k =
min(FirstBurstSize,Expected DataTransferLength) 
 
Hope this helps
karthik selvan 

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 6:05 AM
To: Dennis Young
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iscsi: unsolicited data question

yes - julo 

06/12/2002 06:20 AM 

        To:        [email-masked] 
        cc:         

I have a question which has been asked before, but I couldn't find a
direct 
answer in the archive.  The table on page 200 of draft 12 doesn't
directly
answer this question either.

The first paragraph on page 36 of draft 12 says "Targets operate in
either 
solicitied (R2T) data mode or unsolicited (non R2T) data mode."
tells me that a target, at all times during a data sequence transfer,
can be

one or the other, but not both (non R2T for the initial data out, R2T
for
the
remaining data).  Is this correct?

Thanks,
Dennis

---snip from an old email dated 3/30/2001---

" Hi Julian 
Sorry if I'm covering old ground... Is it possible to use unsolicited
data
for the first burst and then request any remaining data using R2T? For
example, if the target has a previously allocated buffer available
(length
defined by FirstBurstSize) for unsolicited data, then once the initiator
has
sent unsolicited data up to and including this amount then the remaining
data (if any) can be requested using R2T once the target has the buffer
space available. 
...Matthew Burbridge Hewlett Packard, Bristol Telnet: 312 7010 E-mail:
[email-masked] "