Subject: iSCSI: adding a new rule to section 5.2

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:06:32 -0700

Julian,

I suggest adding one new para to section 5.2 just before the sentence -
"The following state diagram applies to both initiators and targets."

The new para I suggest is:

"An initiator must initiate an explicit or implicit connection logout for a 
connection in the CLEANUP_WAIT state, if the initiator intends to continue
using the associated iSCSI session."

The reason is:  We don't want initiators sitting on failed connections for 
the (DefaultTime2Wait+DefaultTime2Retain) period even while using the
session on other connections, and then assuming that the connection must
had been freed up on the target.  A target may not always see the connection
failure that the initiator did, and may not have any TCP/iSCSI keep-alive to
detect that the connection failed, so may continue to indefinitely keep the 
connection state around (and receive stale commands) without ever going
through the connection state timeout path.

The problem becomes clear if we look at the case where both timeouts were 
negotiated to be zero.

Comments?

Mallikarjun