Subject: Re: iSCSI-Asynch event code

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:22:20 +0300

Logout login is far too painful. If negotiations (even vendor specific) 
have to be possible we need this.
As for the lateness and I am sorry I did not see it earlier. However it is 
not  a difficult addition (it has no timing associated) and it meant only 
as a way to kick-on a negotiation.

Julo

Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
06/12/2002 09:41 PM
Please respond to Santosh Rao

        To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
        cc:     [email-masked]
        Subject:        Re: iSCSI-Asynch event code

Why is this needed ? The target can just send an async event to drop the
connection or request a connection logout, and the connection can be
re-established allowing for new negotiation.

I don't see the point of making this change so late in the game. There
exist mechanisms such as target driven connection logout/drop which can
be used to achieve the same effect.

In any case, what do you do if the initiator does not respond with a
text message ? The target would end up dropping the cxn with an async
message in this case, causing a re-login and thus, re-negotiation.

To summarize, I don't see a need for this change, since there are
simpler mechanisms to achieve the same effect. In particular, given that
we are so close to the finish line, I suggest that we not make this
change, but instead, use the async cxn/ssn logout/drop mechanisms.

Rgds,
Santosh

Julian Satran wrote:
> 
> Dear colleagues,
> 
> I plan to add to the text in 9.9.1 an additional event code as
> follows. It is needed for completeness.
> 
> 4 - target requests parameter negotiation on this connection. The
> initiator MUST honor this request by issuing a Text Request (that can
> be empty) on the same connection as early as possible unless a Text
> Request is already pending on the connection or by issuing a Logout
> Request.
> Julo

-- 
The world is so fast that there are days when the person who says 
it can't be done is interrupted by the person who is doing it.
                 ~ Anon