Subject: iSCSI: editorial corrections to Appendix D:SendTargets

From: "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:21:55 -0400

Julian,
I think there's a sentence in appendix D that needs to be cleaned up from
previous edits.

"A SendTargets response MUST NOT contain iSCSI default target names." (it's
on page 246 of the .pdf) This should be deleted since there are no longer
any "iSCSI default target names" (or at least they are not defined).

Also, to clarify, I think the paragraph 3 should be modified from:

     A system that contains targets MUST support discovery sessions on each 
     of its IP addresses, and MUST support the SendTargets command on the 
     discovery session.  A target MUST support the SendTargets command on 
     operational sessions; these will only return address information 
     about the target to which the session is connected, and do not return 
     information about other targets.

to the following:

     A system that contains targets MUST support discovery sessions on each 
     of its TCP addresses, and MUST support the SendTargets command on the 
     discovery session.  A target MUST return all path information (TCP 
     addresses and portal group tags) for the target in question for
     which the requesting initiator is authorized.

     A target MUST support the SendTargets command on operational sessions;
     these will only return path information about the target to which 
     the session is connected, and need not return information about other 
     target names that may be defined in the responding device.

This is just an explicit statement of what's implicit in the current
appendix.  I corrected "IP address" to "TCP address" cause it's the TCP
listening port that must provide the discovery session.

Also, on page 234, the paragraph:

     After obtaining a list of targets from the discovery target session, 
     an iSCSI initiator may initiate new sessions to log in to the discov-
     ered targets for full operation.  The initiator MAY keep the session 
     to a default target open, and MAY send subsequently SendTargets com-
     mands to discover new targets.

Should be changed to 

     After obtaining a list of targets from the discovery target session, 
     an iSCSI initiator may initiate new sessions to log in to the discov-
     ered targets for full operation.  The initiator MAY keep the discovery
     session open, and MAY send subsequently SendTargets commands to
discover
     new targets.

On page 235, the paragraphs:

     In the above example, a DNS host name could have been returned instead 
     of an IP address, and that an IPv6 addresses (5 to 16 dotted-decimal 
     numbers) could have also been returned.

     The next text response shows a target that supports spanning sessions 
     across multiple addresses, which indicates the use of the portal group 
     tags:

Should be

     In the above example, a DNS host name or an IPv6 address (5 to 16
     dotted-decimal numbers) could have been returned instead 
     of an IPv4 address.

     The next text response shows a target that supports spanning sessions 
     across multiple addresses, and illustrates further the use of the
portal
     group tags:

Thanks,
Marjorie

---

From: Mark Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:54:55 -0500

Marjorie-

I agree with your proposed changes.  We should also remove the
expression:

   (5 to 16 dotted-decimal numbers)

From the IPv6 address note on page 235, since IPv6 addresses are
no longer expressed in dotted-decimal.

--
Mark

-- 
Mark A. Bakke
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]
763.398.1054