Subject: RE: iSCSI: editorial corrections to Appendix D:SendTargets

From: "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:32:33 -0700

Found another,

> Should be changed to 
> 
>      After obtaining a list of targets from the discovery target session, 
>      an iSCSI initiator may initiate new sessions to log in to the discov-
>      ered targets for full operation.  The initiator MAY keep the
discovery
>      session open, and MAY send subsequently SendTargets commands to
discover
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
should be "subsequent"

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:27:39 +0300

thanks - Julo

"KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
06/06/2002 12:21 AM
Please respond to "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)"

        To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
        cc:     "Ips Reflector (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
        Subject:        iSCSI: editorial corrections to Appendix D:SendTargets

Julian,
I think there's a sentence in appendix D that needs to be cleaned up from
previous edits.

"A SendTargets response MUST NOT contain iSCSI default target names." 
(it's
on page 246 of the .pdf) This should be deleted since there are no longer
any "iSCSI default target names" (or at least they are not defined).

Also, to clarify, I think the paragraph 3 should be modified from:

     A system that contains targets MUST support discovery sessions on 
each 
     of its IP addresses, and MUST support the SendTargets command on the 
     discovery session.  A target MUST support the SendTargets command on 
     operational sessions; these will only return address information 
     about the target to which the session is connected, and do not return 

     information about other targets.

to the following:

     A system that contains targets MUST support discovery sessions on 
each 
     of its TCP addresses, and MUST support the SendTargets command on the 

     discovery session.  A target MUST return all path information (TCP 
     addresses and portal group tags) for the target in question for
     which the requesting initiator is authorized.

     A target MUST support the SendTargets command on operational 
sessions;
     these will only return path information about the target to which 
     the session is connected, and need not return information about other 

     target names that may be defined in the responding device.

This is just an explicit statement of what's implicit in the current
appendix.  I corrected "IP address" to "TCP address" cause it's the TCP
listening port that must provide the discovery session.

Also, on page 234, the paragraph:

     After obtaining a list of targets from the discovery target session, 
     an iSCSI initiator may initiate new sessions to log in to the discov-
     ered targets for full operation.  The initiator MAY keep the session 
     to a default target open, and MAY send subsequently SendTargets com-
     mands to discover new targets.

Should be changed to 

     new targets.

On page 235, the paragraphs:

     In the above example, a DNS host name could have been returned 
instead 
     of an IP address, and that an IPv6 addresses (5 to 16 dotted-decimal 
     numbers) could have also been returned.

     The next text response shows a target that supports spanning sessions 

     across multiple addresses, which indicates the use of the portal 
group 
     tags:

Should be

     In the above example, a DNS host name or an IPv6 address (5 to 16
     dotted-decimal numbers) could have been returned instead 
     of an IPv4 address.

     The next text response shows a target that supports spanning sessions 

     across multiple addresses, and illustrates further the use of the
portal
     group tags:

Thanks,
Marjorie

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 19:20:02 +0300

The text I suggest is:

A system that contains targets MUST support discovery sessions on each of 
its iSCSI IP address-port pairs, and MUST support the Send-Targets command 
on the discovery session.  A target MUST return all path information (IP 
address-port pairs and portal group tags) for the targets for which the 
requesting initiator is authorized.

A target MUST support the SendTargets command on operational ses-sions; 
these will only return path information about the target to which the 
session is connected, and need not return information about other target 
names that may be defined in the responding system.

----- Forwarded by Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM on 06/06/2002 07:11 PM -----

Julian Satran
06/06/2002 11:27 AM

        To:     "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
        cc:     "Ips Reflector (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
        From:   Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
        Subject:        Re: iSCSI: editorial corrections to Appendix D:SendTargets

thanks - Julo

Julian,

to the following:

Should be changed to 

Should be

Thanks,
Marjorie

---

From: "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:06:00 -0700

That looks fine to me. Thanks!
 
 ----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 9:20 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iSCSI: editorial corrections to Appendix D:SendTargets

The text I suggest is: 

----- Forwarded by Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM on 06/06/2002 07:11 PM ----- 

	Julian Satran 

06/06/2002 11:27 AM 

        To:        "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)"
<[email-masked]> 
        cc:        "Ips Reflector (E-mail)" <[email-masked]> 
        From:        Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL 
        Subject:        Re: iSCSI: editorial corrections to Appendix
D:SendTargets Link
<Notes:///C225670D0041573F/0D671BC8A76F3374C2256926007869EC/69300B923036866F
C2256BCF00756300>  

thanks - Julo 

06/06/2002 12:21 AM 

        To:        Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL 
        cc:        "Ips Reflector (E-mail)" <[email-masked]> 
        Subject:        iSCSI: editorial corrections to Appendix
D:SendTargets 

Julian,

"A SendTargets response MUST NOT contain iSCSI default target names." (it's
on page 246 of the .pdf) This should be deleted since there are no longer
any "iSCSI default target names" (or at least they are not defined).

    A system that contains targets MUST support discovery sessions on each 

to the following:

    A system that contains targets MUST support discovery sessions on each 

    A target MUST support the SendTargets command on operational sessions;
    these will only return path information about the target to which 
    the session is connected, and need not return information about other 
    target names that may be defined in the responding device.

Should be changed to 

    After obtaining a list of targets from the discovery target session, 
    an iSCSI initiator may initiate new sessions to log in to the discov-
    ered targets for full operation.  The initiator MAY keep the discovery
    session open, and MAY send subsequently SendTargets commands to
discover
    new targets.

    In the above example, a DNS host name could have been returned instead 
    of an IP address, and that an IPv6 addresses (5 to 16 dotted-decimal 
    numbers) could have also been returned.

    The next text response shows a target that supports spanning sessions 
    across multiple addresses, which indicates the use of the portal group 
    tags:

Should be

Thanks, 
Marjorie