Subject: FW: WG Review: Intellectual Property Rights

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 23:23:34 -0400

FYI for those interested - the BOF for this proposed
WG will meet on Friday, July 19th in Yokohama.  --David

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Coya [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 1:02 PM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Intellectual Property Rights

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the General Area.  The
IESG has not made any determination as yet.

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Intellectual Property Rights (ipr)
------------------------------

 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Description of Working Group:

The IETF and the Internet have greatly benefited from the free exchange
of ideas and technology. For many years the IETF normal behavior was to
standardize only unencumbered technology.

While the "Tao" of the IETF is still strongly oriented toward
unencumbered technology, we can and do make use of technology that has
various encumbrances. One of the goals of RFC2026 "The Internet
Standards Process -- Revision 3" was to make it easier for the IETF to
make use of encumbered technology when it made sense to do so.

The IETF IPR policy, as embedded in RFC 2026 section 10, has proven
fairly successful. At the same time, a perceived lack of textual
clarity on some issues have made necessary the publication of
clarifications such as the "note well" statement issued in every
registration package, the I-D boilerplate rules, and a huge number of
discussions on specific IPR-related issues.

This working group is chartered with updating and clarifying section 10
of BCP 9, RFC 2026, which deals with intellectual property rights,
including, but not necessarily limited to, patent rights and
copyrights.

This working group will provide three documents:

o A BCP document, updating RFC 2026, which states the IETF
  IPR policy on rights relevant to the document publication
  process, such as copyright issues and trademark issues.

o A BCP document, updating RFC 2026, which states the IETF
  IPR policy on rights relevant to the use of IETF-standardized
  technology, such as patent-related claims

o An Informational document, which describes useful rules of thumb for 
  working group chairs and working group members when working on IPR 
  issues, as well as describing specific cases of IPR issues that have 
  been successfully worked out in the IETF process, and providing 
  references to specific examples of licensing statements and copyright 
  provisions that have proved useful or worrisome. In other words, we
  plan to document the running code of our process.

The working group will attempt to work in three phases:

1. Document existing IPR practice in the IETF

2. Identify issues with current IPR practice that need to be addressed

3. Modify the documents produced in step 1 to reflect the outcome of the 
   discussion of items identified in step 2.

If there consensus of the working group for a different IPR policy than
the one described in RFC 2026, the working group will seek to amend its
charter to make it clear that it is changing the status quo.

The working group will have a design team to assist with document
drafting and review. As always, design team drafts have no special
status, and are subject to amendment, ratification, and/or replacement
by the working group.