Subject: Re: iSCSI: v15 issue: iqn. name format inconsistencies

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:33:07 +0300

John,

Even so we still have an inconsistency in the examples. The colon is not 
after the reversed name but after a part of the suffix.
Please clarify.

Julo

John Hufferd@IBMUS
07/17/2002 11:38 AM

        To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
        cc:     "Ips Reflector (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>, "KRUEGER,MARJORIE 
(HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
        From:   John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
        Subject:        Re: iSCSI: v15 issue: iqn. name format inconsistencies

Julian,
when the ":" part was added to the spec.  we included it as if it was 
required.  The text should say (see last line):

In section  2.2.6.3

     The  iSCSI qualified name string consists of:
        -  The string "iqn."
       -  A date  code, in yyyy-mm format.  This date MUST be a  date
          during which the  naming authority owned the domain name  used
          in this format,  and SHOULD be the date on which the  domain
          name was  acquired by this naming authority.  This date  code
          uses the  Gregorian calendar.  All four digits in the year  must
          be present.   Both digits of the month must be present,  with
          January == "01"  and December == "12".  The dash must  be
           included.
       -  A dot  ".".
       -  The reversed domain name of  the naming authority (person  or
          organization)  creating this iSCSI name.
       -  An optional  colon ":".

===============================================
Julian please add the words "An optional colon ":".
===============================================

To prove this is what was intended I submit the section from the NDT 
draft.
The NDT stuff says:

1.1.  Constructing iSCSI names using the iqn. format

   iSCSI has given the Organizational naming authority additional
   flexibility by permitting it to hand out local naming authority to
   subordinate organizations.  In this way it will be possible for the
   Organizational naming authority to assign for example, the string
   "storage", to one subgroup naming authority and "storage.tape" to
   another.  In this case the subgroups may add a ":" following their
   assigned subgroup string to ensure ongoing uniqueness. For example:
   "storage:" and "storage.tape:".  Also, additional sub-qualifiers can
   be assigned and separated by a "." as explained above.

   Using this approach, the subgroup with the sub-naming authority
   string of "storage" might, overtime, also create some Tape products.
   In this case, both subgroups might use the same qualifying names.  It
   would be expected in this case that a naming conflict might occur,
   however by using the ":" appropriately the conflicts can be avoided.
   In this example com.acme.storage:tape.sys1.xyz and
   com.acme.storage.tape:sys1.xyz would not be in conflict even though
   the same sub-names are used.

.
.
.
John L. Hufferd
Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
Internet address: [email-masked]

---

From: "Elizabeth G. Rodriguez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 06:50:25 -0600

Hi Julian,

This is being used to allow for sub-group name assignment, so we
probably need to modify the text to indicate a sub-qualify may
optionally precede the ":".  Also, believe that we are restricting to at
most 1 ":", so should probably also indicate that.  Finally, don't think
that the txt that John cites below has been transferred to this draft,
so need to add explanation for how ":" vs "." is used.  Something along
the lines of 
So, for the txt, the mods would be:

...
- The reversed domain name of the naming authority (person or
organization) creating this iSCSI name. (new>>) The reverse domain name
may also optionally include a sub-qualifier, such as a sub-domain or
sub-group name.
- A colon ":" or a dot ".".  (Please see txt in section xxx for how ":"
is used.)
...

Then, new text, to be referenced above, indicating how ":" is to be used
needs to be added. Something along the lines of the txt that John cited
below.

Elizabeth
-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 3:33 AM
To: John Hufferd
Cc: Ips Reflector (E-mail); KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1);
[email-masked]
Importance: High

John,

Julo

John Hufferd@IBMUS
07/17/2002 11:38 AM

        To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
        cc:     "Ips Reflector (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>,
"KRUEGER,MARJORIE 
(HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
        From:   John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
        Subject:        Re: iSCSI: v15 issue: iqn. name format
inconsistencies

Julian,

In section  2.2.6.3

          uses the  Gregorian calendar.  All four digits in the year
must