Subject: Draft references in the iSCSI draft bibliography

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:46:43 -0400

Public answer to a private question that may be of general interest:

> Can you tell me if there is a common understanding as to the use of the 
> bibliography when it contains IETF draft references that are works in 
> progress or it contains references for which there are later drafts 
> available?  If the drafts are dependent on each other, does the date of 
> the release of the draft serve as a marker in time to indicate which 
> draft version to use?

No.  Internet-Drafts are *always* referenced as "work in progress" - that
means that the reference refers to the latest available version of the
draft (which may be subsequent to the numbered version in the reference),
or the RFC that results.  When the iSCSI Internet-Draft becomes an RFC,
it will be held until all Internet-Drafts to which normative references
have been made become RFCs so that the RFC can refer to them by RFC number.

It is always wrong to claim compliance to an Internet-Draft and doubly so
to claim compliance to an obsolete one that has been superseded and removed
from the Internet-Draft servers.

Thanks,
--David
---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------