Subject: Re: iSCSI reserved statement

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:29:43 +0300

OK - It is anyhow stated also in several other places. Julo

"Walczak, Kyle" <[email-masked]>
07/29/2002 06:50 PM

        To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
        cc: 
        Subject:        iSCSI reserved statement

Julian:

I was looking at section 2nd para of section 9 which states;

"Any compliant sender MUST set all bits not defined and all reserved
fields to zero unless specified otherwise. Any compliant receiver
MUST ignore any bit not defined and all reserved fields unless specified
otherwise."

The SCP-2 defines "reserved" as 
"A keyword referring to bits, bytes, words, fields and code values that 
are set aside for future standardization. A reserved bit, byte, word or 
filed shall be set to zero, or in accordance with a future extension to 
this standard. Recipents are not required to check reserved bits, bytes, 
words or fileds for zero values. Receipt of reserved code values in 
defined fields shall be reported as error."

I would like to add the third line of the above statement to the first 
paragraph, such that it states:
"Any compliant sender MUST set all bits not defined and all reserved
fields to zero unless specified otherwise. Any compliant receiver
MUST ignore any bit not defined and all reserved fields unless specified
otherwise." Receipt of reserved code values in defined fields shall be 
reported as error."

For example, if the Additional Header Segment (AHS), the AHSType, AHS code
was set to 0, 3-59 would report an error ( 0x09 Reason code in the Reject 
PDU, Invalid PDU field).

Thanks
Kyle Walczak 
(281) 514-3258

---

From: Robert Snively <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:31:05 -0700

Julian,
 
Please state it only in one place, then use the defined keyword in
all other places.  Otherwise, multiple definitions of reserved may creep in.
 
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 5:30 PM
To: Walczak, Kyle
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iSCSI reserved statement

07/29/2002 06:50 PM 

Julian:

The SCP-2 defines "reserved" as 
"A keyword referring to bits, bytes, words, fields and code values that are
set aside for future standardization. A reserved bit, byte, word or filed
shall be set to zero, or in accordance with a future extension to this
standard. Recipents are not required to check reserved bits, bytes, words or
fileds for zero values. Receipt of reserved code values in defined fields
shall be reported as error."

Thanks
Kyle Walczak 
(281) 514-3258