Subject: Re: IPS-ALL: FC Mgmt MIB WG Last Call

From: Duane Baldwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:30:22 -0500

Hi,

Here is the first of several issues/questions:

Relative to the initial draft of this MIB (draft-ietf-ipfc-fcmgmt-int-mib-
07.txt), the object "connUnitUrl" has been removed.  No alternative is
suggested for this MIB in the text.  Are there known alternatives for this
object?  If so, this information should be included in the MIB text.  If
there is no alternative, then this is a significant issue.  Management
applications may use this value to enable the launch of the FC device
element manager.

Thanks,  Duane Baldwin

--

                      "Elizabeth G. Rodriguez"                                                                                
                      <Elizabeth.G.                   To:       <[email-masked]>                                             
                      [email-masked]>          cc:       <[email-masked]>                                          
                      Sent by: owner-ips@ece.         Subject:  IPS-ALL: FC Mgmt MIB WG Last Call                             
                      cmu.edu                                                                                                 

                      07/17/02 03:01 AM                                                                                       

All,

We would like to announce IPS Working Group Last call for the Fibre Channel
Management MIB.

Details:

Document: Fibre Channel Management MIB
URL: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-fcmgmt-mib-02.txt

Last call period: 2 Weeks
Submit comments no later than: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 at 5pm EST

Editor:  Keith McCloghrie ([email-masked])

Please submit editorial comments directly to Keith, with copy to David
Black ([email-masked]), and Elizabeth Rodriguez(
[email-masked])
Submit technical comments to the IPS mailing list ([email-masked])

Editorial comments may be resolved directly by the editor of the document,
but any technical issues must be discussed on the IPS reflector.

Thanks

Elizabeth Rodriguez & David Black
IPS co-chairs

---

From: Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:01:58 -0700 (PDT)

Duane,

> 07.txt), the object "connUnitUrl" has been removed.

No, draft-ietf-ipfc-fcmgmt-int-mib-07.txt was a different MIB.  The MIB
under review here is a replacement for both that MIB and RFC 2837.  The
replacement is needed because the previous MIB(s) had significant
problems.  In fact, the inclusion of "connUnitUrl" was part of one such
problem, as is indicated by section 11.2.6 of the I-D being reviewed here.

> No alternative is

The semantics of "connUnitUrl" are not specific to Fibre Channel, and
so it needs to be another WG with a more generic charter, which defines
a MIB for "connUnitUrl" and other similar management information.

About a year ago, I raised the issue, in the Entity-MIB WG, of the 
objects that will no longer have a home; specifically, I listed them as:

>> The content not specific to Fibre Channel includes:
>> 
>> - product name & info, serial#, mgmt-URL, contact, location, upTime,
>> - state: online/offline, ok/warning/failed,
>> - read-write control object: reset/online/offline,
>> - module-ID (to group conn-units in a hierarchy),
>> - a Revision Table (lists the revisions of hardware/firmware/etc.
>>   components supported by a connectivity unit),
>> - a Sensor Table.

The Entity MIB WG has since adopted a work item for an Entity Sensor
MIB, and is looking at online/offline information.

In response to my message, the WG chair said (at that time):

>>Based on our discussions before London, I thought that Steve Blumenau
>>(or someone else from the Fibre Channel group) would come to discuss
>>any issues that the FC group had with the RFC 2737, in particular.
>>However, Steve did not show up at the Entity MIB meetings.  If the
>>FC folks have any issues with RFC 2737, I encourage them to raise
>>those issues on this list.
>>
>>Margaret

and the AD said:

>>Keith, I am sure that you realize that if there is no WG interest, that
>>there is no way we can just assign such a topic to the WG.
>>So... possibly based on your info below, some people may come forward
>>to say yes yes... we are volunteering. Maybe the IPFC people come
>>out (or nmaybe you can convince them) to help with this work in the
>>entmib WG.
>>
>>An alternative path is that you do an individual submission via
>>RFC-Editor and we can do a 4-week IETF Last Call for PS.
>>Maybe Margareth would not mind if you post a draft and try to get
>>some feedback via the WGs mailing list before you actually ask
>>for it to be considered PS.

So, if you feel strongly that MIB objects need to be defined for a
mgmt-URL, etc., then I recommend you follow one of these two approaches.

Keith.