Subject: iSCSI: DLB's Last Call T18 comment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 02:42:04 -0400

John,

[T.18] 6.7  SCSI Timeouts

   On a ULP timeout for a command (that carried a CmdSN of n), the iSCSI 
   initiator MUST abort the command by either using the Abort Task task 
   management function request, or a "close the connection" Logout if it 
   intends to continue the session.

I think the first part is over specified - there are a number of task
management
commands that abort the task - if the target is really sick, something much
more serious than Abort Task may be used that not only aborts this task,
but others.  It's not clear whether "if it intends to continue the session"
applies only to the logout or to both the task management command and the
logout, nor is it clear what an initiator should do if it doesn't intend to
continue the session.

> I do not follow your issue with T18.  Time outs can occur for reason that
> are not something that needs more drastic action.  If fact I would assume
> that it generally does not need other actions.

It's actually a minor issue in the text - the current text requires that
an Abort Task be issued if the connection is not logged out with the
intent to continue the session - it should allow any task management
function that aborts a task to be used so that an initiator that decides
CLEAR TASK SET or LUN RESET is appropriate doesn't also have to issue
additional ABORT TASK functions in order to comply with the MUST.

Thanks,
--David
---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:07:52 -0700

David,

Agree that the text is over-restrictive.  Seems to me that the following change 
would address your comment - 

S/b "the Abort Task" W/ "an appropriate"  - in the quoted text.

Thanks.
--
Mallikarjun

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
Networked Storage Architecture
Network Storage Solutions
Hewlett-Packard MS 5668 
Roseville CA 95747
[email-masked]