Subject: iSCSI: DLB's Last Call T15 comment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 02:39:36 -0400

John,

[T.15] 4.3.1  Login Phase Start

   The first Login Response PDU during the Login Phase from the iSCSI 
   target SHOULD return the TargetPortalGroupTag key that contains the 
   tag value of the iSCSI portal group servicing the Login Request PDU. 
   If the iSCSI target implementation supports altering the portal group 
   configuration (including adding, deleting, and swapping of portals in 
   a portal group), it MUST return the TargetPortalGroupTag key carry-
   ing the tag value of the servicing portal group.

Let's make returning this key a MUST in all cases - less text, simpler
protocol, simpler code at the Initiator.

> The item numbered T15, had a lot of discussions, especially in the Naming
> and Discovery Team, and the current wordage was the results of a
> compromise, where a number of vendors did not have the issue, and strongly
> felt that it would be the wrong thing to do with their product.  So we
> agreed that the SHOULD section would be the right answer for 
> every one.

This sort of compromise leads to "MAY", not "SHOULD".  I
suggest summarizing the NDT discussion to the list, as it's now an issue
to be settled here.

Thanks,
--David
---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Mallikarjun C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:00:20 -0700

I was part of the team that deliberated on this issue and was a party 
to the compromise text.  But let me state for the record that I (among
others) had precisely suggested what David is suggesting - make it 
a MUST return always, it's simple to specify and implement.

The reasons offered primarily had to do with changing existing code.
Now with the changes in certain key names and the advent of C-bit 
functionality (that require code changes anyway), this may be a good 
time to consider making this simpler.  I see that Julian also is agreeable
to this change.
--
Mallikarjun

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
Networked Storage Architecture
Network Storage Solutions
Hewlett-Packard MS 5668 
Roseville CA 95747
[email-masked]