Subject: iSCSI and target IDS

From: "shesha bhushan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 16:13:36 +0000

Hi,
  I have connected an array of disks to a Linux box, and I am running iSCSI 
on that Linux box. There are multiple disks each with unique target IDs. I 
understand the fact that, depending on the iSCSI names, we have to decide to 
which disk we need to communicate.

Say I have decided that eas.asu.edu.disk1 is target ID 1 and 
eas.asu.edu.disk2 is target Id2. Once I have iSCSI target names(say 
eas.asu.edu.disk2) at iSCSI target, how to specify to SCSI initiator that I 
need to communicate with the device having target ID 2  ???

Can it be done at the SCSI subsystem level or at the SCSI driver level.
Please let me know.

Thanks
Shesha
Arizona State University

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

---

From: "Anshul Chadda" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:20:58 -0400

I think it should be done at the SCSI driver level(iSCSI). The SCSI
subsystem need not know the details about the underlying interconnect
whether it be iSCSI, FCP, or some bus. So, a typical I/O (started by a user)
is done to some /dev/sdx. This /dev/sdx gets resolved into target ID at the
SCSI subsystem level. The target ID can resolve into session ID/target name
at the iSCSI driver level.

Hope this helps!!

Anshul Chadda
Trebia Networks
Acton, MA 01720