Subject: SCSI Target Port Name/Identifier and VPD Identifier type

From: Luben Tuikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:52:27 -0400

David, Julian,

There appears to be no appropriate Identifier Type
(Table 268, SPC-3, r8) which can report the SCSI
Target Port Identifier/Name.

I've communicated this with the T10 people and
they suggested that an iSCSI person bring in a proposal
for a new identifier type that would handle iSCSI name
requirements.

Please keep me posted on this,
-- 
Luben

P.S. Size requirements are to be handled by T10 document
02-303r0.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:25:09 -0400

Luben,

I checked with a "usually reliable" T10 source and got the following
back:

	For this particular proposal, I really haven't seen a need.
	The port is identified on the iSCSI layer where it really matters.
	In inquiry, the only relevant information (in my opinion) is LU
	identifier [...snip...] [but] the logical unit doesn't really
	have a good view of the ports (particularly when the LU is
	accessible through more than one device (which is what gateways
	create)).  So, it doesn't really make sense to ask the LU about
	its ports.  A more rational approach is to define a Well-known LU
	(a device level object) whose job is to report on the physical
	topology of its ports.   For iSCSI, that is already available
	through SendTargets.

I suggest approaching T10 directly to continue this discussion.  T10
is an open organization that welcomes the participation of all (although
T10 does charge membership fees).  Contact Elizabeth or myself directly
if you need/want help or advice in approaching/working with T10.

Thanks,
--David
---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Luben Tuikov [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 7:52 PM
> To: David Black; Julian Satran
> Cc: iSCSI
> Subject: SCSI Target Port Name/Identifier and VPD Identifier type
> 
> 
> David, Julian,
>