Subject: questions about fcip

From: "Chong Peng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 16:01:34 -0700

FCIP gurus:

The FCIP protocol allows one FCIP link have multiple TCP connection. I have two questions about this:

1. Why would a FCIP link need multiple TCP connections? 
2. If there are multiple TCP connections in a FCIP link, which entity is responsible for distributing  traffic among them.

Chong Peng

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use; review, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the original message. 
Copyright © 2002 MaXXan Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

---

From: "Murali Rajagopal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:35:59 -0700

Question 1:  Why would a FCIP link need multiple TCP connections?
Following text extracted from Section 11.1 provides some motivations for
multiple TCP connections.

" ....
Depending on the sophistication of the FC Entity, further value may be
obtained by having multiple TCP Connections with differing QoS
characteristics.

There are many reasons why an FC Entity might request creation of multiple
TCP Connections within an FCIP_LEP. These reasons include a desire to
provide differentiated service for different TCP data connections between
FCIP_LEPs or a preference to separately queue different streams of traffic
not having a common in-order delivery requirement. ...."

Question 2. If there are multiple TCP connections in a FCIP link, which
entity is responsible for distributing  traffic among them?

The FCIP Entity.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Chong Peng
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2002 4:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: questions about fcip

FCIP gurus:

The FCIP protocol allows one FCIP link have multiple TCP connection. I have
two questions about this:

1. Why would a FCIP link need multiple TCP connections?
2. If there are multiple TCP connections in a FCIP link, which entity is
responsible for distributing  traffic among them.

Chong Peng

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use; review, disclosure
or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the original
message.
Copyright © 2002 MaXXan Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

---

From: Ralph Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 06:07:09 -0500

The answer provided for question 2 contains too many letters.

The FC Entity distributes traffic among the multiple TCP
connections (if any).

The distinction is based on the fact that only the FC Entity
has enough knowledge to do the distribution. Also, this is
the reason no suggestions regarding how to do the distribution
are provided in FCIP.

.Ralph