Subject: iSCSI boot - DHCP Root Path Option

From: "Eliot Salant" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:27:21 +0300

Can the DHCP Root Path Option be extendible with vendor specified options?
For example, specifying what operating
system or version of an O/S resides on a given target and LUN will allow
the boot client to decide which target to boot from.

===================================
Eliot Salant
IBM Haifa Research Labs
Haifa University, Mt. Carmel, Haifa, Israel
31905

Tel.    +972-48296-121
FAX: +972-48550-070
====================================

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:29:47 -0400

> Can the DHCP Root Path Option be extendible with vendor

*NO*, root path should be limited to the format given - vendor-
specific extensions *will* create interoperability problems.
Find some other DHCP option(s) to convey additional info.
If you need more functionality than appears to be available,
write an Internet-Draft on what you need and how you propose
to do it based on currently-available DHCP options.

> system or version of an O/S resides on a given target and LUN 
> will allow the boot client to decide which target to boot from.

Seems like a less than wonderful place to put this functionality.
Have you considered the alternative of having the DHCP server
decide what to return based on who is issuing the request, or having
the boot client include additional information in its request if
the MAC address doesn't provide enough information for the DHCP
server to figure out what to return?

Thanks,
--David
---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------