Subject: Task Reassignment

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:05:21 -0400

Julian,
	I believe clause 9.5.1 2nd PP, starting at 5th sentence, is not what we
intend for TASK REASSIGNMENT. It states:

"According to [SAM2], for all the tasks covered by the Task Management
response (i.e., with CmdSN not higher than the task management command
CmdSN), additional responses MUST NOT be delivered to the SCSI layer after
the Task Management response.
...stuff cut here...
"The iSCSI target MUST ensure that no responses for the tasks covered by a
task management function are delivered to the iSCSI initiator after the Task
Management response."

I believe the draft, as now worded, requires the following:

Initiator: Sends the Task Management Function Request with Function field
set to TASK REASSIGN.

Target: If the identified task is associated with a logged out connection,
it is made allegiant to the connection on which the "Task Management
Function Request" PDU was received. No activity for the reassigned task may
take place until the "Task Management Function Response" PDU with the
Response field set to FUNCTION COMPLETE is sent. (9.5.1 Page 147 3rd PP) At
this point in time the reassigned task is to complete in a normal fashion
which may involve addition data exchange but MUST conclude with status in a
data or response PDU. (5.2.2 Pg 86 1st PP)

Thus the target is required to send the response for the reassigned command
after the response associated with the Task Management request, which
violates 9.5.1.

I don't believe this is really a technical issue (SAM2 experts check me on
this..) and all we need is an editorial change or note in 9.5.1 allowing for
reassigned commands to send responses after the task management response.

Proposed wording:
Add the following note to the end of the paragraph in question in clause
9.5.1:

Note: This does not apply to the TASK REASSIGN function. For TASK REASSIGN
the status response associated with the reassigned command is required. (See
Allegiance Reassignment)

Barry Reinhold
Principal Architect
Trebia Networks
[email-masked]
603-659-0885 (Durham)/978-264-7656 (Acton)/603 767-5290 (Cell)

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:01:22 +0300

Barry,

The cluse you quote refers to the paragraph it appears into which treats 
TASK group management like TASK SET CLEAR etc.
TASK reassign has no such requirement.

I will try rewording  at the first chance (whenever that may be).

Regards,
Julo

"[email-masked]" <barry.reinhold
06/09/02 17:05

        To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
        cc:     "James Smart" <[email-masked]>, "Anshul Chadda" 
<[email-masked]>, "ISCSI" <[email-masked]>
        Subject:        Task Reassignment

Julian,
                 I believe clause 9.5.1 2nd PP, starting at 5th sentence, 
is not what we
intend for TASK REASSIGNMENT. It states:

task management function are delivered to the iSCSI initiator after the 
Task
Management response."

Target: If the identified task is associated with a logged out connection,
it is made allegiant to the connection on which the "Task Management
Function Request" PDU was received. No activity for the reassigned task 
may
take place until the "Task Management Function Response" PDU with the
Response field set to FUNCTION COMPLETE is sent. (9.5.1 Page 147 3rd PP) 
At
this point in time the reassigned task is to complete in a normal fashion
which may involve addition data exchange but MUST conclude with status in 
a
data or response PDU. (5.2.2 Pg 86 1st PP)

Thus the target is required to send the response for the reassigned 
command
after the response associated with the Task Management request, which
violates 9.5.1.

I don't believe this is really a technical issue (SAM2 experts check me on
this..) and all we need is an editorial change or note in 9.5.1 allowing 
for
reassigned commands to send responses after the task management response.

Proposed wording:

Note: This does not apply to the TASK REASSIGN function. For TASK REASSIGN
the status response associated with the reassigned command is required. 
(See
Allegiance Reassignment)

Barry Reinhold
Principal Architect
Trebia Networks