Subject: iSCSI Boot Format Consensus Call

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:20:59 -0400

With my WG co-chair hat on, it's time to close discussion
on this so that the authors can produce the next (and we
hope final) version of the iSCSI boot draft.

I believe the rough consensus of the IP Storage WG on the format
of the LUN portion of the DHCP Root Path option when used for
an iSCSI-based boot (i.e., string begins with "iscsi:") to be:

	- 4 groups of 4 hex digits each separated by dashes.
		Each group represents 16 bits of the LUN.
	- At most 3 leading zero digits may be omitted in each
		group.
	- Trailing zero groups may be omitted.  Omitting a group
		also omits the dash preceding the omitted group.

The draft authors should use their best judgment in deciding
how to specify this format, but should include examples.  Paul
Koning's objection to this is noted - this consensus call is
made over that objection.  Any other comments/objections
should be sent to the list ASAP.

Thanks,
--David
---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018
[email-masked]       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:21:48 -0400

>>>>> "Black" == Black David <[email-masked]> writes:

 Black> The draft authors should use their best judgment in deciding
 Black> how to specify this format, but should include examples.  Paul
 Black> Koning's objection to this is noted ...

I withdraw my objection...

  paul