Subject: iSCSI Naming and Discovery Draft

From: Mark Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:10:34 -0500

I've made (I think) all of the edits required for the naming
and discovery draft.  A pre-release of the draft is available
at:

ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/mbakke/ips/iscsi/working/draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-name-disc-07.txt

I will submit the draft after the commentors have made sure
that I didn't mess anything up (it's getting late), and would
like to post the draft either on Monday or whenever David or
Elizabeth want it done.

I'll renumber the references in order of appearance after I'm
sure that there are no more changes.

Marjorie, Pat, Elizabeth, Robert, Amir-

Thanks for your comments.  Please take a look to make sure
everything's OK.  In particular, look at 1.1 and B.4.  I've
attached a (hopefully) complete list of changes below.

-- 
Mark A. Bakke
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]
763.398.1054

Changes made from N&D draft-06 to draft-07:

Overall

x PT - Move appendices to the end after the Authors names

? PT - Target Address difference from iSCSI TargetAddress key

       MK - That's OK, since they have different purposes

? PT - Initiator addresses are not described

       MB - I'm not sure we need to describe them; I haven't done
       anything with this comment yet.

Section 1

x MK - Address example cleanup

x PT - Clarified iSCSI node relationship, removed term "iSCSI node name",
       Referenced T10 doc for SCSI device name

x PT - Clarify node has one or more addresses

x PT - Have some of the examples include a <port>

x PT/MK - Reword the "principal object" sentence

x MK - Remove iSCSI session from the address analogy

Section 1.1

  Please take a look at new wording.

x MK - Clarification of organizational naming authority

x MK - Fix up text on ":" to be more clear about sub-domain names
       Split out the first three examples for better clarity.
       Added comments about responsibilities and domain name
       ownership.  Added reference to iSCSI and spelled out the
       construction of an iqn name.  Deleted confusing text on
       the use of ':' and clarified it using the examples instead.

x MK - Add ":" to last example

x MB - Also fixed up descriptions of parts of the IQN, such as the
       date code.

Section 2

x ER - Alias definition needs reference to iSCSI doc

Section 2.2

x PT - Need rewording after in first example

Section 3

x MK - Editorial fix on LUN discovery sentence

x MK - Editorial fix on iSCSI discovery goals

x MK - Clarify that it's the target's IP address and TCP port info

Section B.1

x PT - Add note about the effects of port redirectors on SendTargets
       This comment is inherited for SOCKS servers by reference.

Section B.3

x RG - Added gateway caveat.

x MK - Mapping typo - change iSCSI to SCSI

Section B.4

  Please take a look at new wording.

x MK - Gateway confusing

x AS - Reword proxy functionality to take advantage of specific transport
       properties

Section B.5

x MK - Define DMZ

References

x PT - Three references are no longer used - will remove them

Authors

x MB - Add John's contact info

Don't Forget!

x Fix up page numbers in TOC
x Check dates
x Make sure references are up to date
x Add names to RFC references
x Add T10 SCSI domain name reference

Left to do (when I'm really sure this is done)

  Renumber references in order of appearance