Subject: RE: iSCSI: Logical Unit Reset

From: Eddy Quicksall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:35:52 -0400

What I was talking about is the blanket statement that is in the spec. The
statement is technically wrong because it says 
 
"Task management requests must act on all the commands having a CmdSN lower
than the task management CmdSN".
 
As Tony pointed out, it would be more precise to say "... must act on all
the commands in the session having a CmdSN ..."
 
Eddy

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 9:27 AM
To: Eddy Quicksall
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iSCSI: Logical Unit Reset

As other related protocols we preferred to be mute on reset. 
The side effects of reset are well understood and it has been made optional
in T10. 

Julo 

	Eddy Quicksall <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked] 

08/10/02 16:08 

        To:        [email-masked] 
        cc:         
        Subject:        iSCSI: Logical Unit Reset 

Section 9.5.1 says:

Task management requests must act on all the commands having a CmdSN lower
than the task management CmdSN.

But a Logical Unit Reset, Target [WARM | COLD] Reset and Clear Task Set
w/TST=0 applies to all initiators for the Target or Target/LUN. 

Since the initiator that issued the TMF knows nothing about the CmdSN's of
other initiators, how is this handled for the other sessions?

One thing that can be done is to consider that the session that issued the
TMF is synchronized only with itself and therefore its TMF would apply to
all CmdSN's on the other sessions. A statement to this effect should
probably be added to 9.5.1.

Eddy
mailto: [email-masked]

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:06:05 +0200

The text I suggest for later is:

Task management requests must act on all the commands from the same
session having a CmdSN lower than the task management CmdSN. LOGICAL
UNIT RESET, TARGET WARM RESET and TARGET COLD RESET may affect commands
from other sessions or commands from the same session with CmdSN equal
or exceeding CmdSN.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Eddy Quicksall
Sent: 10 October, 2002 14:36
To: Julian Satran
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: iSCSI: Logical Unit Reset

What I was talking about is the blanket statement that is in the spec.
The statement is technically wrong because it says 
 
"Task management requests must act on all the commands having a CmdSN
lower than the task management CmdSN".
 
As Tony pointed out, it would be more precise to say "... must act on
all the commands in the session having a CmdSN ..."
 
Eddy

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Satran [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 9:27 AM
To: Eddy Quicksall
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: iSCSI: Logical Unit Reset

As other related protocols we preferred to be mute on reset. 
The side effects of reset are well understood and it has been made
optional in T10. 

Julo 

08/10/02 16:08 

        To:        [email-masked] 
        cc:         

Section 9.5.1 says:

Task management requests must act on all the commands having a CmdSN
lower than the task management CmdSN.

Since the initiator that issued the TMF knows nothing about the CmdSN's
of other initiators, how is this handled for the other sessions?

One thing that can be done is to consider that the session that issued
the TMF is synchronized only with itself and therefore its TMF would
apply to all CmdSN's on the other sessions. A statement to this effect
should probably be added to 9.5.1.

Eddy