Subject: iSCSI Name Formats (IQN and EUI)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:16:26 -0400

Questions regarding the two iSCSI name formats.
 
Are there advantages and disadvantages for the IQN and EUI name formats
defined in the iSCSI specification? Should one format be preferred over the
other? Is it possible that the EUI names could be preferred in environments
with switches that connect Fibre Channel and iSCSI networks? Could the iSCSI
EUI be used as part of a WWN for Fibre Channel in such an environment? If it
is unforeseeable at this time whether one format has any advantage over the
other, should it be possible to have an iSCSI device that can be identified
by either name format? Perhaps the name format to use would be something
configurable by the user, but only one name format would be used at a time. 
 
Thanks,
_____________________________
Adam Hutchinson
CLARiiON/EMC Corp
Phone:  508.382.5938
Fax:      508.382.7913 
Email:    [email-masked]

---

From: "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:06:07 -0700

Have you read the Naming and Discovery draft -
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-name-disc-08.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-name-disc-08.txt>
?  
 
As for "switches that connect FC and iSCSI networks" I assume you're
thinking of iSCSI-FC gateways?  That's a slippery slope, and has been
previously discussed on this reflector, look thru the archives.    A gateway
must export world-wide unique names in the iSCSI domain - if a gateway uses
the EUI format and sticks in an FC device's WWN, another gateway connected
to the same SAN would construct the same name and violate name uniqueness
(and cause other problems at the SCSI layer).
 
Marjorie Krueger
Hewlett-Packard
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 6:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: iSCSI Name Formats (IQN and EUI)

 
Thanks,