Subject: RE: IPS: iSCSI MIB last call

From: "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:51:31 -0400

> Another thought I had was to add a session-type field. It 
> would be Normal-Only, Discovery-Only, or Both.
> 
> This feature is designed to permit having "closed" targets 
> (where the target isn't seen in discovery, like closed 802.11 
> networks), and also to permit anyone to do discovery 
> (ipsAuthMethodNone is in the auth entry)  & find the target, 
> but not let everyone access the target.

If something like this were added, there would have to be a way to indicate
at the iSCSI target node level whether this is an "open" or "closed" target
- this becomes the default for unlisted initiators.  In a "closed" target,
only initiators which are in the ACL are allowed to open a session, and then
which session type is allowed depends on an attribute of the auth entry for
this initiator.  In an "open" target, by default initiators not listed in
the ACL are allowed to open a discovery session.

That said, I don't like adding something this significant this late in the
process, because it really requires more thorough examination of the entire
structure of both MIBs.  Seems like this should be addressed in a separate
draft?

Marjorie

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:08:09 -0700 (PDT)

> the ACL are allowed to open a discovery session.

Ahhh... Part of my understanding, based on comments in the iSCSI draft's
discussion of SendTargets, was that all targets were "closed" by default.

> structure of both MIBs.  Seems like this should be addressed in a separate

Yep. I think only the iSCSI MIB needs it, but reviewing both would be good
before doing this.

Take care,

Bill