Subject: Atlanta DRAFT minutes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:25:27 -0500

Comments and/or corrections to me and/or the list please.

Thanks,
--David

IP Storage (ips) Working Group
Atlanta Minutes - November 18, 2002
-----------------------------------

-- Agenda Bashing and Status of Drafts - David L. Black, EMC (WG co-chair)

Most drafts are not on the agenda because they are in or beyond
WG Last Call.  Last four WG drafts are in WG Last Call which
will end on December 9.  See "status of drafts 1102 IETF55" file
for detailed status of all drafts.  WG members should review
draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-03.txt ASAP as it will be jointly
Last Called in the IPS and DHC WGs in the near future - send comments
to the IPS list.

The WG has accomplished a great deal of work (4 major protocols, plus
ancillary documents, including 7 MIBs) in about 2 years, and the Technical
Coordinators received a round of applause for their efforts to ensure
that everything else (especially MIBs) was completed at about the
same time as the main protocols.

-- SCSI MIB - Roger Cummings, Veritas
	draft-ietf-ips-scsi-mib-04.txt

SCSI MIB is in WG Last Call.  Some additional T10 document references
need to be added.  The request made on the list to add some counter64
elements will not be done because it is not in keeping with IETF guidelines
for appropriate use of counter64 (based on how fast a counter32 element
rolls over).

-- DHC config of SNMP trap config for iSCSI boot failure - Mark Bakke, Cisco
	draft-bakke-dhc-snmp-trap-01.txt

This is a string format DHCP option to report boot failure.  Will most
likely go forward in DHC WG.  Rationale, requirements, scenarios are ok
to discuss on IPS list, but details will be on DHC and appropriate
SNMP lists.  Discussion in DHC earlier the same day was that there is
definitely a problem here that needs to be addressed, but there were
some open issues about how much of the problem to take on initially and
details of how to go about it.  General sense of the room is that this
is something worth working on.

-- NAA naming format for iSCSI - Mallikarjun Chadalapaka, HP
	draft-krueger-iscsi-name-ext-00.txt

Proposal for a new "naa." naming format in addition to "iqn." and "eui.".
Motivated in part by a T10 proposal, but described as having value on its
own for multi-protocol devices (i.e. implementing SCSI over more than one
transport).  David Black put up a T11 document (01-630v0) describing NAA
(WWN)
to EUI mapping for some NAA formats.  About 1/4 of the room understands
the issues here, and among that 1/4 there is clear rough consensus for
carrying this proposal forward in appropriate coordination with T10.

Co-chairs and ADs will consult off line about how to do this, and will also
ensure that current text in iSCSI -19 that prohibits adding a naming format
is appropriately changed/weakened to allow this, but the resulting text
will set a high criterion for future additions to meet.

-- Future of WG Discussion - WG co-chairs, and Allison Mankin, Transport AD

WG has completed a lot of work and is close to done.  The Transport ADs
like WGs that set out to do something, do it and shut down, so IPS WG will
probably shut down in near future.  Mailing list will remain alive, and the
above NAA draft may be progressed solely via mailing list.  Progression of
any of IPS's protocols to Draft Standard requires interoperability reports
on which work could start now, but the WG co-chairs are adamant that the
main protocol documents will not be re-opened for general revisions prior
to 2004 at the earliest, although bug fixes and the like can be done in
the interim if/as necessary.