Subject: iSCSI boot and SNMP notifications

From: Mark Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 09:17:06 -0600

While implementing network boot using iSCSI, we realized that there
is no current DHCP option for configuring SNMP notification (AKA trap)
hosts.  Without this option, there is no good way to notify a
management station if a host fails to boot, for instance if it can't
locate the iSCSI target given by the root-path option, or if the
iSCSI target IP address doesn't respond, or if the boot disk is not
really a boot disk.

Since configuring this via DHCP seems like something more generally
needed, I've submitted an I-D describing a new option for this, and
posted it to the DHC and SNMP WGs.

One question that these groups have is whether there are multiple
people interested in doing this.  I'd like to get an idea of how many
iSCSI implementors would like to see this happen.

The draft is available at:

ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/mbakke/ips/dhcp/draft-bakke-dhc-snmp-trap-01.txt

Thanks,

-- 
Mark A. Bakke
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]
763.398.1054