Subject: [Ips] New IMSS WG; IPv6 over Fibre Channel Draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:43:46 -0700

Hi all,

I would like to announce a new IETF WG -- Internet and Management Support
for Storage [IMSS]
The charter follows below, but can also be found at
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/imss-charter.html

The IMSS working group has been chartered in the OPS area, and will be
working on the FC MIBs initially proposed in this working group via the
mailing list this past June, per draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gai-fc-mibs-00.txt.  It will also
work on the IPv6 over Fibre Channel draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imss-ipv6-over-fibre-channel-
00.txt initially proposed in the IPv6 working group.

IMSS will be holding a session at IETF-58 in Minneapolis, which you are
welcome to attend.
Information about the working group and the mailing list follow.

Thank you,

Elizabeth Rodriguez
IMSS chair

----
A new IETF working group has been formed in the Operations and Management
Area.
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

Internet and Management Support for Storage (imss)
--------------------------------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):

Elizabeth Rodriguez <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):

Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:

Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):

Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
David Black <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imss
Archive: http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/imss/

Description of Working Group:

Fibre Channel is a high speed network technology primarily used for 
storage networking (i.e., Storage Area Networks [SANs]). Two
important aspects of Fibre Channel interact with the Internet:
        - Fibre Channel can encapsulate and carry IP protocol traffic
        - Fibre Channel devices can be managed via SNMP

The Internet and Management Support for Storage WG (imss) is chartered 
to address two areas, specifically:
        - IPv4 over Fibre Channel has been specified in RFC 2625. A
          corresponding specification for IPv6 is needed.
        - An initial Fibre Channel Management MIB has been developed by
          the IP Storage (ips) WG; extensions are needed to encompass
          management of additional aspects of Fibre Channel, such
          as zoning.

In the future, other storage related MIBs for other storage transports 
such as INCITS T10 Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) or SCSI command specific 
MIBs may be proposed. This group would work with the appropriate 
technical committee(s) in a manner similar to that described for INCITS 
T11 below.

As Fibre Channel standardization is handled by the INCITS T11 Technical
Committee (http://www.t11.org), a close working relationship with T11 
is essential to the WG's success. In particular:
      - The IPv6 over Fibre Channel specification will be based on
        draft-desanti-ipv6-over-fibre-channel-02.txt. This draft
        was originally developed within a T11 study group and T11
        has officially recommended this draft to the IETF.
      - The WG will not standardize management of Fibre Channel  
        features ahead of their incorporation into appropriate T11 
        Fibre Channel standards.
      - The WG will work closely with T11, specifically Task Group 
        T11.5, on the functionality and structure of the MIBs it      
        develops for management of Fibre Channel.

In addition to working closely with the INCITS T11 Technical Committee, 
this Working Group will work closely with IETF IPv6 Working Group as 
appropriate. In particular, the IPv6 Working Group will be kept 
informed on the progress and status of the IPv6 over Fibre Channel 
specification. The IMSS Working Group Last Call announcement will be 
cross-posted to the IPv6 WG mailing list.

Goals and Milestones:

Dec 03 Submit IPv6 over Fibre Channel draft to IESG for consideration
                     as Proposed Standard
Aug 04 Work with T11.5 to determine what additional Fibre Channel MIBs
                     are needed.
Oct 04 Submit Fibre Channel Domain Manager MIB to IESG for consideration
                     as Proposed Standard
Oct 04 Submit Fibre Channel Name Server MIB to IESG for consideration
                     as Proposed Standard
Jan 05 Submit Extensions for Fibre Channel Interfaces MIB to IESG for
                     consideration as Proposed Standard
Jan 05 Review working group charter and determine what additional work,
                     if any, should be undertaken by working group.

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips