Subject: RE: [Ips] iSNS: question on exporting FC Zone DB to iSNS DB

From: Joshua Tseng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:09:28 -0700

The DD mechanisms in iSNS translate easily into WWN-based zoning in the FC
fabric.  To do port zoning you may have to do some extra work by storing
some additional info in vendor-specific fields, but that doesn't mean it
can't be done.  Remember, iSNS is just basically an information repository,
and it can be used to store pretty much anything including proprietary
information.
 
Regards,
Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: dan yo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 9:39 AM
To: Joshua Tseng; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ips] iSNS: question on exporting FC Zone DB to iSNS DB

Josh,
 
Base on the same reasoning that iSNS doesn't support the use of IP subnet
as an initiator node in a DD, it doesn't support the (Domain_ID,Port_Number)

construct in a FC zone, correct? 
 
Thanks,
Dan

Joshua Tseng <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dan,

Contact me offline if you want help writing a draft.

Regarding your question, in iSNS connectivity between iSCSI devices is
established by DD membership.  DD membership for an iSCSI device can only be
established by iSCSI Name.  Portal membership in a DD only indicates the
preferred interface for iSCSI sessions, and by itself does not indicate DD
membership for any iSCSI device.  So the answer is 'no', you cannot
establish DD membership by IP subnet.

Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: dan yo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 9:37 AM
To: Joshua Tseng; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ips] iSNS: question on exporting FC Zone DB to iSNS DB

Joshua,

Thanks.  

Regardinig #2, I would be interested in writing a paper after I have
explored 

more on the interoperability issues in bridging FC zones to iSNS, will

definitely need more of your help.  I don't believe this qualifies for IETF
draft 

or RFC, but having a more well defined rules in mapping FC zones to iSNS 

will simplify the job of managing a mixed FC/iSCSI SAN.

On a related question, is there a way to specify a IP subnet as an iSCSI 

Initiator node in a Discovery Domain -- the intent is to allow all the hosts

on a subnet to access the targets in the corresponding DD.

Regards,

Dan

Joshua Tseng <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dan,

Here are my responses:

1)       Yes, as alluded to in the iSNS draft.  You understood it well.

2)       You are welcome to write a paper or RFC if you desire.  I am
willing to help you out.

3)       Yes.

Regards,

Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: dan yo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2003 10:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ips] iSNS: question on exporting FC Zone DB to iSNS DB

Hi,

I would like to get some opinions and thoughts on mapping FC Zone Server DB

to iSNS DB in a single or multiple fabrics, mixed protocol SAN switches 

environment.

Based on my understanding of the FC-GS, FC-SW, and the iSNS draft, FC zone 

objects are mapped to iSNS objects as follow: 

  FC zone maps to iSNS DD (Discovery Domain).

  FC zone set maps to iSNS DD Set.

  FC fabric maps to iSNS Network Entity.

Assume we have a multi-fabric SAN with mixed FC and iSCSI switches,

and FC/iSCSI gateways.

We want to create a central iSNS database to store all the devices, 

where some of the devices are exported from the FC zone DBs, and some 

are registered from the iSNS capable clients (most likely iSCSI devices).  

With the central iSNS server, iSNS capable management stations now 

have a full view of the whole multi-fabric SAN. 

My questions are:

1. Would iSNS serve well for the above application?

2. When FC Zone DBs are merged or segmented, how the FC Zone DBs

    are synchronized with the iSNS DB is an implementation issue, but 

    has anybody written any guideline or paper on this?

    If not, would this subject be a good ietf draft/rfc candidate?

3. Is there any such product on the market from the major SAN switch 

    manufacturers (that exports and maps FC Zone DB to iSNS server)?

Thanks,

Dan

  _____  

Do you Yahoo!?
The
<http://shopping.yahoo.com/?__yltc=s%3A150000443%2Cd%3A22708228%2Cslk%3Atext
%2Csec%3Amail> New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search

SPECIAL NOTICE 
 
All information transmitted hereby is intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named above and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
of confidential and privileged information is prohibited. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient(s) or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
herby notified that you must not read this transmission and that disclosure,
copying, printing, distribution or use of any of the information contained
in or attached to !

 this

 transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
 
Anyone who receives confidential and privileged information in error should
notify us immediately by telephone and mail the original message to us at
the above address and destroy all copies.  To the extent any portion of this
communication contains public information, no such restrictions apply to
that
information. (gate01)

  _____  

Do you Yahoo!?
The
<http://shopping.yahoo.com/?__yltc=s%3A150000443%2Cd%3A22708228%2Cslk%3Atext
%2Csec%3Amail> New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search

  _____  

Do you Yahoo!?
The
<http://shopping.yahoo.com/?__yltc=s%3A150000443%2Cd%3A22708228%2Cslk%3Atext
%2Csec%3Amail> New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search

---

From: Joshua Tseng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:07:35 -0700

Regards,

Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: dan yo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 9:39 AM
To: Joshua Tseng; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ips] iSNS: question on exporting FC Zone DB to iSNS DB

Josh,

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

 

Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: dan yo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 9:37 AM
To: Joshua Tseng; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ips] iSNS: question on exporting FC Zone DB to iSNS DB

Joshua,

Thanks.  

Regards,

Dan

Dan,

Here are my responses:

3)       Yes.

Regards,

Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: dan yo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2003 10:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ips] iSNS: question on exporting FC Zone DB to iSNS DB

Hi,

environment.

and FC/iSCSI gateways.

My questions are:

Thanks,

Dan

  _____  

Do you Yahoo!?
The

SPECIAL NOTICE 

  _____  

Do you Yahoo!?
The

  _____  

Do you Yahoo!?
The