Subject: [Ips] Protocol Action: 'String Profile for iSCSI Names' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:42:39 -0500

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'String Profile for iSCSI Names '
   <draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-string-prep-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Storage Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary

  The iSCSI protocol provides a way for hosts to access SCSI devices
   over an IP network.  The iSCSI end-points each have a globally-unique 
   name that must be transcribable, as well as easily compared.

  This document describes how to prepare internationalized iSCSI names
   to increase the likelihood that name input and comparison work in
   ways that make sense for typical users throughout the world.

   It is a profile for iSCSI  of  RFC 3454, Stringprep.

Working Group Summary

  The working group strongly supported advancement of this specification.

Protocol Quality

   During Last Call, there was some very constructive review by the 
community.  
  The  document was reviewed for the IESG by Paul Hoffman and Allison Mankin

RFC Editor Note:

Old:

In addition, any upper-case characters input via a user interface
    should be mapped to their lower-case equivalents.

New:

  In addition, any upper-case characters input via a user interface
  MUST be mapped to their lower-case equivalents.

The reference to [stringprep] in Section 6 should be a reference to
[RFC3454].

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: Pat LaVarre <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Nov 2003 15:37:07 -0700

>   MUST be mapped to their lower-case equivalents.

Do we already have lots of precedent for mapping-to-lower-case near here
in ietf space?

Once upon a time mapping-to-upper-case introduced less noise than
mapping-to-lower-case.  Is that no longer true?

I'm not sure I precisely remember why.  Might be that people left
accents off of uppercase letters, and doubled vowels in upper case e.g.
in Español using CANON to mean cañon and using EE.UU to mean Estados
Unidos.

Curiously yours in truly breathtaking ignorance, Pat LaVarre

P.S. Honestly, all I personally know about iSCSI is that in the past and
perhaps still now it can accurately count data bytes copied, which
places it a level above many SCSI-over-whatever protocols in my
estimation.

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:48:43 -0500

>>>>> "Pat" == Pat LaVarre <[email-masked]> writes:

 >> MUST be mapped to their lower-case equivalents.

 Pat> Do we already have lots of precedent for mapping-to-lower-case
 Pat> near here in ietf space?

 Pat> Once upon a time mapping-to-upper-case introduced less noise
 Pat> than mapping-to-lower-case.  Is that no longer true?

 Pat> I'm not sure I precisely remember why.  Might be that people
 Pat> left accents off of uppercase letters, and doubled vowels in
 Pat> upper case e.g.  in EspaÃ±ol using CANON to mean caÃ±on and
 Pat> using EE.UU to mean Estados Unidos.

That's a good reason to go to lower case, because then you don't lose
accents.  Another problem is that some places keep the accents on
uppercase letters when others don't (it's not even the same everywhere
for a given language).  So downcasing (with accents, if any,
preserved) is less dependent on location than upcasing.

Also, some letters have no uppercase equivalent.

      paul