Subject: [Ips] iSNS: generating SCNs on DD change

From: "K. V. Subramaniam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:33:37 +0530

Hi,

I have a question regarding generation of regular SCNs. When a DD member is
removed, or if a DD is removed or if  DDS is disabled, it affects 
multiple initiators/targets.
Do we then generate regular SCNs to each affected node? For example, 
consider
that due to change in DD, iqn.a can no longer access iqn.b and iqn.c, then
do we
    (a)send an SCN to iqn.a giving the info that some change has occured to
    SELF and expect it to query iSNS again
    (b) send an SCN giving OBJECT_REMOVED as reason and listing out 
iqn.b and
     iqn.c as the nodes that are no longer visible.

Thanks
kvs

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: "Priya Viswambharan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:40:19 +0530

Hi KVS,

Regular SCNs will be generated by the iSNS server to be sent to only those
iSNS clients that have registered (through SCNReg) for such state changes.

In your example, the iSNS server would send an SCN with the OBJECT REMOVED
bit set and listing iqn.b and iqn.c as the nodes that were removed. If iqn.a
wants to be doubly sure about iqn.b and iqn.c being no longer registered in
the iSNS DB, an iSNS DevAttrQry with the node names as the MessageAttributes
(plus some operating attributes for the nodes) may be sent for which the
iSNS server would respond with no values in the Operating Attributes since
the devices have been removed or have moved to a different DD.

Regards,
Priya