Subject: [Ips] Target online notification & SAM-3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:57:55 -0500

Sorry about getting to this one late.  Paul von Behren wrote:

> > From the RFC:
> > 
> > The codes used for iSCSI Asynchronous Messages (events) are:
> > 
> > 0 - a SCSI Asynchronous Event is reported in the sense data.
> 
> Asynchronous event reporting was removed from SAM-3 last November,
> see http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/document.02/02-458r0.pdf - and
> look at recent SAM 3 versions (current is R9).
> 
> My impression is that AER was considered unimplementable (at
> least by some).
> 
> It sounds like the iSCSI spec needs to be updated since this
> is no longer a valid option.

That's not quite correct because iSCSI is based on SAM-2, so
removal of this value would not be appropriate.  However, it would
be appropriate to add a note warning implementers that T10 has
deprecated AER in SAM-3, hence this AER support is likely to be
removed from a future version of iSCSI that is based on SAM-3,
therefore using it is not recommended (NB: lower case to avoid
invoking RFC 2119 meaning).  OTOH, I wouldn't hold my breath
waiting for an effort to start to update iSCSI to SAM-3.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips