Subject: [Ips] iSCSI connections

From: Alberto Alesina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:47:34 -0800 (PST)

hello all,
 
Can it be possible that two different iSCSI sessions between an initiator and a target use the same TCP connection (i.e. use the same TCP socket because the TCP session endpoint identifiers are same)? The assumption is that the target has nodes with multiple target portal groups but just one network portal (IP address and TCP port number).
 
Also, can it be possible to have two logical iSCSI connections for a single iSCSI session and they use the same underlying TCP connection (same socket)?

Thanks a lot for your time.
 
Alberto Alesina

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:22:52 -0500

>>>>> "Alberto" == Alberto Alesina <[email-masked]> writes:

 Alberto> hello all, Can it be possible that two different iSCSI
 Alberto> sessions between an initiator and a target use the same TCP
 Alberto> connection (i.e. use the same TCP socket because the TCP
 Alberto> session endpoint identifiers are same)? The assumption is
 Alberto> that the target has nodes with multiple target portal groups
 Alberto> but just one network portal (IP address and TCP port
 Alberto> number).
 
No.  The target side identifiers are the same for all the connections
to that portal, but the initiator side identifiers are different for
all the connections.  You can't have multiple sessions in the same TCP
connection because there are no application layer addresses (session
identifiers, for example) in the iSCSI PDU header.  So the session is
implicit from the TCP connection, which means that each TCP connection
is bound to exactly one session.

 Alberto> Also, can it be possible to have two logical iSCSI
 Alberto> connections for a single iSCSI session and they use the same
 Alberto> underlying TCP connection (same socket)?
 
No -- same reason.  It would be pointless to do so anyway.  Multiple
connections per session may improve performance and reliability, but
only if they have separate TCP connections (and at least some of the
network resources used by those connections differ).

	paul

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: Julian Satran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:46:06 -0800

Alberto,

The answer to both your questions is negative.

Julo

Alberto Alesina <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
16/01/2004 07:47

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
[Ips] iSCSI connections

hello all,
 
Can it be possible that two different iSCSI sessions between an initiator 
and a target use the same TCP connection (i.e. use the same TCP socket 
because the TCP session endpoint identifiers are same)? The assumption is 
that the target has nodes with multiple target portal groups but just one 
network portal (IP address and TCP port number).
 
Also, can it be possible to have two logical iSCSI connections for a 
single iSCSI session and they use the same underlying TCP connection (same 
socket)?

Alberto Alesina
Do you Yahoo!?