Subject: [Ips] iSNS SLP service type

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:20:02 -0800 (PST)

In reviewing the iSNS draft, I noticed it indicates you can use SLP to
locate the iSNS server. There was, however, no discussion of _how_ to use
SLP to locate the iSNS server. At least none I saw.

So how should we create SLP URLs for iSNS servers? While not terribly
complicated, it's important we are consistent. Otherwise the clients won't
find the server. :-)

Do we want to use, "service:isns"? Or "service:isns:server", to leave room
for iSNS inter-server functionality? For reference, for iSCSI, we use
"service:iscsi:target".

Also, the iSNS heartbeat packet can list primary and backup servers. Do we
want to have an attribute with the service registration to indicate that
server's position in the failover order? Otherwise SLP-using services
won't necessarily know which server to talk to.

Take care,

Bill

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: "Joshua Tseng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:26:32 -0800

Thanks for the note.  The reference to the iSCSI-SLP draft will be
incorporated into the next iSNS draft.

Josh Tseng

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 9:56 AM
To: Andy Currid
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ips] iSNS SLP service type

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Andy Currid wrote:

> I thought this was covered in the iSCSI SLP draft,
> which defines "service:iscsi:sms" for discovery of
> storage management services. The template for that
> service includes a protocol field which may be set
> to "isns" to indicate an iSNS server.

Ahhh... That's possible. To be honest, I was not really sure what the
"sms" server was good for when I read the iSCSI-SLP draft; it seemed
rather vague and not immediately relevant.

Now that you mention it, I notice that the iSCSI-SLP draft is mentioned
in
the iSNS references section. However no part of the document actualy
uses
that references.

Is it too late for iSNS draft comments? If not, I'd like to request/
comment that section 2.5.1 should mention that iSCSI-SLP offers the
service template for using SLP to locate iSNS servers.

Take care,

Bill

SPECIAL NOTICE 

All information transmitted hereby is intended only for the use of the 
addressee(s) named  above and may contain confidential and privileged 
information. Any unauthorized  review, use, disclosure or distribution
of confidential and privileged information is prohibited. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient(s) or the employee or agent 
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and that
disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of any of the
information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY 
PROHIBITED.

Anyone who receives confidential and privileged information in error should 
notify us immediately by telephone and mail the original message to us at the
above address and destroy all copies.  To the extent any portion of this
communication contains public information, no such restrictions 
apply to that information. (gate01)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:28:54 -0500

Unless there are objections, this will go into the iSNS
draft.  It looks like a useful clarification.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 12:56 PM
> To: Andy Currid
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Now that you mention it, I notice that the iSCSI-SLP draft is 
> mentioned in
> the iSNS references section. However no part of the document 
> actualy uses
> that references.
>