Subject: [Ips] Max iSCSI Sessions supported

From: "Ramesh Mangamuri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:04:11 -0800

Folks,
 
I understand that there is possibility that there can be multiple
connections in an iSCSI session. But, Can an iSCSI initiator have more
than one active iSCSI session simultaneously with a given target. 
 
-Ramesh

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:20:05 -0800 (PST)

> than one active iSCSI session simultaneously with a given target.

Yes and no.

Strictly speaking, no. Any attempt to open a second session with the
target by a given initiator would trigger session reinstatement. This
represents the fact that there can be only one I_T nexus.

However since the identifier for an initiator is both the initiator name
and the ISID, the same initiator name can be used on different sessions if
they have different ISIDs. This situation, though, can be dangerous and
should be avoided; the target would appear as two different SCSI devices
to the initiator's OS. Most OSs won't deal well with that situation. For
instance Microsoft Windows's auto-mounting of partitions could cause the
partitions on the disk to be mounted twice.

Take care,

Bill

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips