Subject: [Ips] Finding iSNS using SLP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:58:58 -0800 (PST)

I have some more questions about using SLP to find iSNS servers.

1) How do I tell if a given iSNS server URL is using UDP or TCP? iSNS
supports both, but doesn't expose that in the URL. The SLP draft notes
transport as an attribute for iSCSI targets, but not for SMS servers
(of which iSNS is a subset).

2) iSNS heartbeat messages have the concept of server priority (primary,
secondary, etc.). The SLP attributes (for SMS servers) don't support this,
just if the server's iSNS or something else. I think it would be useful
for server priority to be reflected in the SLP bindings if possible.

Thoughts?

Take care,

Bill

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: "Joshua Tseng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:51:49 -0800

Bill,

See below
> (of which iSNS is a subset).

This is a good point, and should be a comment against the iSCSI-SLP
draft.  I would request that the author include transport as an
attribute in the sms template, just as it is in the iSCSI template.
Furthermore, the first sentence of the second-to-last paragraph should
read:

A storage management server's URL contains the domain name or IP
address and TCP or UDP port number.

(add "or UDP" after TCP)

> for server priority to be reflected in the SLP bindings if possible.

I would think this can be logically handled by only having the primary
active iSNS server broadcast its service advertisements.  Backup servers
that are passively standing by should not advertise their service unless
they detect failure of the primary iSNS server.  The failed server's
service advertisement will stop when the service lifetime eventually
expires.

Thanks,
Josh Tseng

> Bill

SPECIAL NOTICE 

All information transmitted hereby is intended only for the use of the 
addressee(s) named  above and may contain confidential and privileged 
information. Any unauthorized  review, use, disclosure or distribution
of confidential and privileged information is prohibited. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient(s) or the employee or agent 
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and that
disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of any of the
information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY 
PROHIBITED.

Anyone who receives confidential and privileged information in error should 
notify us immediately by telephone and mail the original message to us at the
above address and destroy all copies.  To the extent any portion of this
communication contains public information, no such restrictions 
apply to that information. (gate01)