Subject: RE: [Ips] Max iSCSI Sessions supported

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 06:15:32 -0800

Ramesh,

I think you want to use the same ISID and connect to a portal in a different
target portal group on the target. That allows the target to understand the
sessions are from the same initiator and doesn't violate the parallel nexus
rule.

- Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: Ramesh Mangamuri [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 7:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ips] Max iSCSI Sessions supported
Importance: High

Here are some questions again.

1) What if we have multi-pathing software installed on the Host
OS(Initiator) ? 
2) How can we generate different ISIDs from the same initiator.? Is this
one configurable value?

More later ...,
Ramesh

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 5:20 PM
To: Ramesh Mangamuri
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ips] Max iSCSI Sessions supported

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Ramesh Mangamuri wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I understand that there is possibility that there can be multiple
> connections in an iSCSI session. But, Can an iSCSI initiator have more
> than one active iSCSI session simultaneously with a given target.

Yes and no.

Strictly speaking, no. Any attempt to open a second session with the
target by a given initiator would trigger session reinstatement. This
represents the fact that there can be only one I_T nexus.

However since the identifier for an initiator is both the initiator name
and the ISID, the same initiator name can be used on different sessions
if
they have different ISIDs. This situation, though, can be dangerous and
should be avoided; the target would appear as two different SCSI devices
to the initiator's OS. Most OSs won't deal well with that situation. For
instance Microsoft Windows's auto-mounting of partitions could cause the
partitions on the disk to be mounted twice.

Take care,

Bill

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips