Subject: [Ips] FW: Processing of Expired Internet-Drafts

From: "Elizabeth Rodriguez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:18:04 -0800

FYI

For IPS, this applies to the iscsi naming extension and the iSNS MIB.

It does not currently apply to any IMSS draft.

This also applies to individual submissions not yet an official working
group item.

Elizabeth Rodriguez

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of The IETF Secretariat
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 7:53 AM
To: IETF-Announce:
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Processing of Expired Internet-Drafts

The IETF Secretariat has updated its procedures for processing expired 
Internet-Drafts. The updated procedures, which are presented below, 
can also be found in the document entitled "Guidelines to Authors of 
Internet-Drafts" (http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt).
 
An Internet-Draft will expire exactly 185 days from the date that it is
posted 
on the IETF Web site (http://www.ietf.org/ID.html) unless it is replaced 
by an updated version (in which case the clock will start all over again for

the new version, and the old version will be removed from the Internet-Draft

repositories), or unless it is under official review by the IESG 
(i.e., a request to publish it has been submitted). Specifically, when 
an Internet-Draft enters the "Publication Requested" state in the I-D
Tracker, 
it will not be expired until its status is resolved (e.g., it is published
as 
an RFC).  I-D Tracker states not associated with a formal request to publish

a document (e.g., "AD is Watching") will not prevent an Internet-Draft from 
expiring after 185 days.

Internet-Drafts will not expire during the period surrounding an IETF
Meeting 
when submission of updates to Internet-Drafts is suspended (i.e., between 
the cutoff date for submission of updated drafts, which is two weeks prior
to 
an IETF Meeting, and the date that Internet-Draft submissions are once again

being accepted).  All Internet-Drafts scheduled to expire during this period

will expire on the day that the Secretariat reopens Internet-Draft
submissions.

When an Internet-Draft expires, a "tombstone" file will be created that
includes
the filename and version number of the Internet-Draft that has expired.  
The filename of the tombstone file will be the same as that of the expired 
Internet-Draft with the version number increased by one.  If a revised
version 
of an expired Internet-Draft is submitted for posting, then the revised
version
will replace the tombstone file and will receive the same version number as
that
previously assigned to the tombstone file.  Tombstone files will never
expire
and will always be available for reference unless they are replaced by
updated 
versions of the subject Internet-Drafts.

The IETF Secretariat

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips