Subject: [Ips] Recovery R2T for unsolicited data

From: Jane Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:42:55 -0800

Hi,

I'm wondering if an R2T sent to recover unsolicited data should be allowed
to use a Target Transfer Tag of 0xffffffff. I understand that the spec
clearly says that 0xffffffff is reserved and must not be used in an R2T, but
can't it be considered as the TTT for the implicit Initial R2T? If that is
the case, what's the harm in reusing the original TTT in the recovery R2T?
Of course its use would have to be restricted to firstburst recovery only,
and it wouldn't work when the requested data range crosses the
unsolicited/solicited data boundary. 

This brings up another question, is a recovery R2T allowed to request data
across multiple sequences (i.e. sequences established by prior R2Ts)? Here's
what the spec says on recovery R2Ts: "A Recovery-R2T carries the next unused
R2TSN, but requests part of
or the entire data burst that an earlier R2T (with a lower R2TSN)
had already requested." 

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Jane Liu

---

From: Julian Satran <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:28:08 +0200

Jane,

[email-masked] wrote on 05/02/2004 09:42:55:

> Hi, 
> I'm wondering if an R2T sent to recover unsolicited data should be 
> allowed to use a Target Transfer Tag of 0xffffffff. I understand that 
> the spec clearly says that 0xffffffff is reserved and must not be used
> in an R2T, but can't it be considered as the TTT for the implicit 
> Initial R2T? If that is the case, what's the harm in reusing the 
> original TTT in the recovery R2T? Of course its use would have to be 
> restricted to firstburst recovery only, and it wouldn't work when the 
> requested data range crosses the unsolicited/solicited data boundary. 

0xffffffff is reserved and should not be used by any R2T

> This brings up another question, is a recovery R2T allowed to request 
> data across multiple sequences (i.e. sequences established by prior 
> R2Ts)? Here's what the spec says on recovery R2Ts: "A Recovery-R2T 
> carries the next unused R2TSN, but requests part of

R2Ts can request as much data as it wants (including data from former 
R2Ts)if recovery is supported (data sequencing rules do not get violated).

> Thanks in advance for all replies. 

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips