Subject: Re: [Ips] iSCSI: reinstatement

From: Julian Satran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:51:03 -0800

An old session disappears after timeout or if a new session with the same 
name is created (explicitly new session). Otherwise a new connection 
(perhaps even the only one!) is added to the old session.

Julo

[email-masked] 
Sent by: [email-masked]
10-02-2004 13:36

To
Eddy Quicksall <[email-masked]>
cc
[email-masked]
Subject
Re: [Ips] iSCSI: reinstatement

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Eddy Quicksall wrote:

> Maybe I'm reading too much into this... are you really just saying that 
a
> session can't be reinstated? If they can, what about them is reinstated?

My understanding is that the session does not "persist" across the session
reinstatement action. Yes, there is still a session with the same ID
(initiator name + ISID, target name + TSIH), but the I_T nexus was broken
by the reinstatement event. So the old tasks die.

Take care,

Bill

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:55:27 -0500

So, this is what I think you are saying:

If the connection is lost and there is only one connection in the session,
the session persists until the timeout or session reinstatement. If the
initiator wants to continue commands, the initiator does connection
reinstatement (not session reinstatement) by using the same ISID-TSIH-CID.

But if the initiator logs on with the ISID and TSIH==0, then the session
dies along with the commands and the initiator therefore has "reset" the
session (and the session does not persist). If so, then logically it is
really a "session reset" and not a "session reinstatement".

Eddy

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 4:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Ips] iSCSI: reinstatement

---

From: Julian Satran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:11:07 -0800

"Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]> wrote on 

> reinstatement (not session reinstatement) by using the same 
ISID-TSIH-CID.
Yes.
You can even use a different CID - logout the old one and reassign 
commands.

> really a "session reset" and not a "session reinstatement".

Correct. That is the effect although different people use different names 
for the operation.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:35:23 -0800 (PST)

> (perhaps even the only one!) is added to the old session.

Please note we are talking specifically about session reinstatement only.
Adding extra connections to the session will, I fear, cloud the
discussion. :-)

Take care,

Bill

---

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:44:06 -0500

Its all clear now ... I was putting my own meaning on "reinstatement".
Thanks for all your help.

Eddy

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Ips] iSCSI: reinstatement