Subject: [Ips] usage and validation of iSCSI Name Source Attribute in iSNS registrations?

From: "Danny Mitzel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:55:41 -0800

I'm trying to understand the usage and validation of the iSCSI Name
Source Attribute in iSNS registrations (DevAttrReg).  I've been studying
the iSNS-I-D-22.txt and playing a bit with Microsoft freebie iSNS server
and generating some iSNS PDU.  the latest MS iSNS server claims to
'Added Source Attribute based checks and restrictions', which has increased
my frustration as I get rejected registrations 'Source Unauthorized (code=8)'.
I'm hoping you all can help clarify a few simple registration scenario to
help me master iSNS operation.

scenario #1: initial Network Entity / Storage Node registration
    this is a chicken-and-egg case.  on the initial Network Entity and
Storage Node registration there's no existing iSCSI Name to validate.
from the Appendix A examples and my experimentation appears I just
plug in the iSCSI Name of the Storage Node being registered?

scenario #2: adding a Storage Node to an existing Network Entity
    lets say I already did a registration as in scenario #1 above
(Network Entity="jbod1.example.com", iSCSI Name="NAMEabcd").  now
I bring another iSCSI target online (iSCSI Name="NAMEefgh").  to register 
this can I specify iSCSI Name Source Attribute="NAMEefgh" similar to
how I specified the Storage Node being registered in scenario #1?
or do I need to give the already existing NAMEabcd as key?  or ???

scenario #3: replacing an existing Network Entity
    again assume scenario #1 was already performed.  now I want to replace
that record (Network Entity="jbod1.example.com"/iSCSI Name="NAMEabcd")
with Network Entity="jbod1.example.com"/iSCSI Name="NAMEefgh".  I build
up a PDU with the replace flag set and do I specify Source Attribute as
the existing or new iSCSI Name?  or ???

scenario #4: registering a Network Entity without a Storage Node
    say I have a target device that knows its Network Entity name,
has a portal configured, etc. but hasn't yet been configured with exported
Storage Nodes.  is it possible for this device to register the known
information into the iSNS database without a Source Attribute iSCSI Name?
granted there's no iSCSI targets to discover yet but maybe having this other 
information and attributes in the iSNS database is of some use to see
the device out there.

thanks for your time and any comments.  cheers,danny

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: "Joe Souza" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:28:45 -0800

Hi Danny,

In general, the Source Attribute should always be a Node which is
already registered in your Entity or is currently being registered in
your Entity.  I have answered your questions more specifically below:

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Danny
Mitzel
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 3:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ips] usage and validation of iSCSI Name Source Attribute in
iSNS registrations?

I'm trying to understand the usage and validation of the iSCSI Name
Source Attribute in iSNS registrations (DevAttrReg).  I've been studying
the iSNS-I-D-22.txt and playing a bit with Microsoft freebie iSNS server
and generating some iSNS PDU.  the latest MS iSNS server claims to
'Added Source Attribute based checks and restrictions', which has
increased
my frustration as I get rejected registrations 'Source Unauthorized
(code=8)'.
I'm hoping you all can help clarify a few simple registration scenario
to
help me master iSNS operation.

[Joe Souza] Yes.

scenario #2: adding a Storage Node to an existing Network Entity
    lets say I already did a registration as in scenario #1 above
(Network Entity="jbod1.example.com", iSCSI Name="NAMEabcd").  now
I bring another iSCSI target online (iSCSI Name="NAMEefgh").  to
register 
this can I specify iSCSI Name Source Attribute="NAMEefgh" similar to
how I specified the Storage Node being registered in scenario #1?
or do I need to give the already existing NAMEabcd as key?  or ???
[Joe Souza] Either should be fine.

scenario #3: replacing an existing Network Entity
    again assume scenario #1 was already performed.  now I want to
replace
that record (Network Entity="jbod1.example.com"/iSCSI Name="NAMEabcd")
with Network Entity="jbod1.example.com"/iSCSI Name="NAMEefgh".  I build
up a PDU with the replace flag set and do I specify Source Attribute as
the existing or new iSCSI Name?  or ???
[Joe Souza] In this case, the Source Attribute should contain the name
being newly registered.

scenario #4: registering a Network Entity without a Storage Node
    say I have a target device that knows its Network Entity name,
has a portal configured, etc. but hasn't yet been configured with
exported
Storage Nodes.  is it possible for this device to register the known
information into the iSNS database without a Source Attribute iSCSI
Name?
granted there's no iSCSI targets to discover yet but maybe having this
other 
information and attributes in the iSNS database is of some use to see
the device out there.
[Joe Souza] Since the spec does allow registering Portals into an Entity
without registering Nodes, there is less checking performed on the
Source Attribute in this case.  You still need to specify a Source
Attribute, however.