Subject: RE: [Ips] Encryption and ISCSI PDUs.

From: "Preetam Verma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:38:40 -0700

Paul

In a case in which you have a TOE(TCP Offload Engine) that takes iSCSI PDUs only, and you have no way of doing things at the TCP level, how would you go for compression?

Regards

Preetam 

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Koning [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 11:33 AM
To: Preetam Verma
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ips] Encryption and ISCSI PDUs.

>>>>> "Preetam" == Preetam Verma <[email-masked]> writes:

 Preetam> Do I need to use on of the reserved bits to compress ISCSI
 Preetam> PDUs using some compression algorithm? I quickly went
 Preetam> through the draft but could not find any specific bit that
 Preetam> you can use for something like this. 

Did you mean compression, or encryption?

For compression there is IPcomp, which is loosely tied to encryption.
Loosely, because you can negotiate it with IKE when you negotiate
IPsec.  

	paul

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:45:50 -0400

>>>>> "Preetam" == Preetam Verma <[email-masked]> writes:

 Preetam> Paul In a case in which you have a TOE(TCP Offload Engine)
 Preetam> that takes iSCSI PDUs only, and you have no way of doing
 Preetam> things at the TCP level, how would you go for compression?

I would put an IPsec gateway that includes IPcomp support in front.

That's the logical setup anyway.  Compression is useful for slow WAN
links, but not on gigabit or better Ethernet.  WAN edge IPsec boxes
have implemented IPcomp for years.

     paul