Subject: [Ips] Compression and iSCSI PDUs.

From: "Preetam Verma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:10:19 -0700

Using an IPSec gateway kind of a thing would be a cumbersome solution for me(too many chips). If I use one of the reserved bits, I don't have a stable solution either if that bit were to change in the future. What would be the best way out in this case?

Preetam

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:57:32 -0400

>>>>> "Preetam" == Preetam Verma <[email-masked]> writes:

 Preetam> Using an IPSec gateway kind of a thing would be a cumbersome
 Preetam> solution for me(too many chips). If I use one of the
 Preetam> reserved bits, I don't have a stable solution either if that
 Preetam> bit were to change in the future. What would be the best way
 Preetam> out in this case? 

Are you suggesting that compression should be built in to iSCSI?

If so, I think that's a very bad idea.  It's quite wrong to reinvent
everything that's in IPcomp when IPcomp already exists and provides
the capabilities you are asking for.

I mentioned that I would deploy IPcomp as part of a VPN gateway
setup.  That's a valid and plausible scenario, but it's not the only
possibility.  You can also implement IPcomp right into your devices if
you wish to do so.  You may not find anyone else to talk to other than
IPsec/IPcomp gateway boxes -- given that compression has no obvious
place on LANs.  But protocol wise this would be a valid design.

As for the number of chips, that's a non-issue.  You can integrate
several protocols into one chip if that makes sense in your design.
If you have an iSCSI chip, it already implements a complete TCP/IP
stack.  Adding IPcomp to it would certainly be possible.

	paul