Subject: [Ips] Regarding CRC

From: Manohars <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:42:55 +0530

Hi all,
	Here in the section 12.1, the table for header and data digests says 32 bit
CRC.

+---------------------------------------------+
| Name | Description | Generator |
+---------------------------------------------+
| CRC32C | 32 bit CRC |0x11edc6f41|
+---------------------------------------------+
| None | no digest |
+---------------------------------------------+

But in the eg. Generator given it is 36 bits. Please can any one verify
this. How many bits, the std. uses for CRC Generator.

with regards,
Manohar

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: Mark Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:29:09 -0500

Manohar-

It's still a 32-bit polynomial; the generator is always one bit more (33 
bits
in this case), with the high bit always "1".  For more info on how these
work, Ross Williams wrote an excellent guide to how CRCs work a while
back; it's called "A Painless Gude to CRC Error Detection Algorithms".

It's available at:

http://www.ross.net/crc/crcpaper.html

--
Mark Bakke