Subject: [Ips] RFC 3720 Public Extension Keys questions

From: Dave Wysochanski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:42:07 -0800

Can someone point me at the current list of IANA registered strings
for the X# keys as described in section 12.22 of the iSCSI RFC?
Is the list under the "iSCSI extended key" heading here (in which case
there are none defined):
http://www.iana.org/assignments/iscsi-parameters

I'd also like to know what the procedure is for registering a new string
for a currently undefined Public Extension Key.  Do I use the "General
Request for Assignments":
http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/assignments.pl

Thanks.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3720.html

12.22.  The Private or Public Extension Key Format

   Use: ALL
   Senders: Initiator and Target
   Scope: specific key dependent

   X-reversed.vendor.dns_name.do_something=

   or

   X<#><IANA-registered-string>=

   Keys with this format are used for public or private extension
   purposes.  These keys always start with X- if unregistered with IANA
   (private) or X# if registered with IANA (public).

   For unregistered keys, to identify the vendor, we suggest you use the
   reversed DNS-name as a prefix to the key-proper.

   The part of key-name following X- and X# MUST conform to the format
   for key-name specified in Section 5.1 Text Format.

   For IANA registered keys the string following X# must be registered
   with IANA and the use of the key MUST be described by an
   informational RFC.

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:08:22 -0500

Dave,

> http://www.iana.org/assignments/iscsi-parameters

Yes; it's currently empty.

> http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/assignments.pl

That should work, or send email to IANA, but an RFC is a necessary
prerequisite:  "For IANA registered keys the string following
X# must be registered with IANA and the use of the key MUST	be
described by an informational RFC."

I strongly suggest that any draft intended to become such an RFC
be brought to the attention of the IPS WG prior to any request
for publication as an RFC.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------