Subject: [Ips] text keys in discovery

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:48:47 -0500

Section 3.3 says:
       b) Discovery-session - a session only opened for target

          discovery.  The target MUST ONLY accept text requests with the

          SendTargets key and a logout request with the reason "close

          the session".  All other requests MUST be rejected.

Section 3.2.6.1 says:

   The only exception is if a

   discovery session (see Section 2.3 iSCSI Session Types) is to be

   established.  In this case, the iSCSI Initiator Name is still

   required, but the iSCSI Target Name MAY be omitted.

Is InitiatorName not considered a "text request"? Or is this a TYPO?

Also, I think the above means 3.3 and not 2.3.

Eddy

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: William Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:01:27 -0800

> Is InitiatorName not considered a "text request"? Or is this a TYPO?

I thought 3.3b was talking about only permitting "Text Request" and 
"Text Response" PDUs and Logout Request PDUs in Full-Feature Phase. So 
it's all about PDU types in the session.

I think 3.2.6.1 is talking about the login phase of a connection that 
is going to turn into a discovery session. So it's before FFP. While 
InitiatorName is a negotiation key, it is carried in a PDU, and 3.3 
only limits the PDU type. :-)

My take on 3.2.6.1 is that you can initiate a discovery session without 
knowing the name of a target. Which is good, as it lets you do stuff 
like the linux-iscsi initiator does; you can just give a portal address 
and connect to everything there. :-)

Take care,

Bill

---

From: Ming Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:32:06 -0500

> "Text Response" PDUs and Logout Request PDUs in Full-Feature Phase. So 
FFP session or discovery session? might a typo here?

> and connect to everything there. :-)
yes, this is the way. and in fact i do not know in what situation that
ini will do discovery with targetname held in ini hand.

> 
> Take care,
> 
> Bill
> 
> ______________________________________________________________________

---

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:45:47 -0500

Yes, I agree. After I sent this, Ming pointed out to me that these are two 
different areas.

Eddy

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "William Studenmund" <[email-masked]>
To: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Ips] text keys in discovery

Take care,

Bill

---

From: William Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:54:58 -0800

> FFP session or discovery session? might a typo here?

No, FFP. FFP is a phase, and is the phase after login.

I admit that FFP may not be the best term, but we don't have a better 
one for the "after login part of a discovery connection."

Take care,

Bill

---

From: Ming Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:08:28 -0500

> one for the "after login part of a discovery connection."
ic. sorry. i misunderstood. i agree with this ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thx

ming