Subject: [Ips] negotiating more than once

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 12:59:06 -0400

The top of page 55 says this:

   Reject or Irrelevant are legitimate negotiation options where allowed
   but their excessive use is discouraged.  A negotiation is considered
   complete when the acceptor has sent the key value pair even if the
   value is "Reject", "Irrelevant", or "NotUnderstood.  Sending the key
   again would be a re-negotiation and is forbidden for many keys.

Take this case:

  The initiator says ImmediateData=OK. The target says ImmediateData=Reject.

The negotiation is now finished. Since ImmediateData defaults to YES and if the target can't take immediate data then what is the target to do? The only thing would be to close the connection.

Does anyone disagree? How about "does anyone agree"?

Eddy

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: William Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 11:36:03 -0700

On May 4, 2005, at 9:59 AM, Eddy Quicksall wrote:

> The negotiation is now finished. Since ImmediateData defaults to YES 
> and if the target can't take immediate data then what is the target to 
> do? The only thing would be to close the connection.

Close the connection.

Why is the initiator proposing something other than "YES" or "NO"? With 
that Reject, you don't know if the target can or can't support 
ImmediateData, you just know that it doesn't like "OK" as a boolean 
value.

While Buck is correct that the acceptor can send "an admissible value", 
I'd favor the Reject response. It's not that hard to make sure your 
offers are within the spec, so if you get something way out of the spec 
(Like "OK" for a boolean), something somewhere is confused.

Take care,

Bill