Subject: [Ips] association reasonably limited, not yet everywhere

From: Pat LaVarre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 06:41:27 -0700

Hello IP Storage folk,

 >  RFC 4018
 > Title:      Finding Internet Small Computer Systems Interface
 > (iSCSI) Targets and Name Servers by Using Service
 > Location Protocol version 2 (SLPv2)

How does my iSCSI host defend me against the indiscriminate 
connectivity nightmare of politely listing for me every iSCSI drive 
that my employer owns worldwide, to ask me to which I want to connect, 
like I see some broken printer networks do?

Are there relevant iSCSI FAQ’s that I should have already reviewed?

Is “association” the correct jargon for this well-known design issue in 
the iSCSI context?

Thanks in advance, Pat LaVarre

P.S. Relevant background includes:

/// http://www.google.com/search?q=wireless+association+host+device

“One of the sought-after characteristics of mobile and ubiquitous 
computing environments is for devices to become spontaneously 
associated and interoperate over wireless networks. However,unlike the 
cable that connects two devices in a wired association, a wireless 
network does not provide a physical indication of which device is on 
the other end of the association. Further, the messages sent over a 
wireless network are readily accessible to other devices on the same 
network. Hence, a spontaneous wireless association is subject to 
various spoofing and replay attacks …  Network-discovery systems such 
as Jini ... and the Service Location Protocol … two-button protocol … 
Diffie-Hellman[-Merkle] key exchange …” T. Kindberg & K. Zhang, 2002

/// http://www.google.com/search?q=iSCSI+FAQ

[no prominent relevant hits yet]

/// http://www.google.com/search?q=iSCSI+connect+too+well

[no prominent relevant hits yet]

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:52:16 -0400

Pat,

> that my employer owns worldwide, to ask me to which I want to 
> connect, like I see some broken printer networks do?

RTFR, starting with Section 4.1.1 of RFC 4018, followed by
RFC 2608 and RFC 2609 on SLPv2 (e.g., use of scopes, although
scopes are analogous to what gets misconfigured in "some
broken printer networks").

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Pat LaVarre
> Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:41 AM
> To: ips at ietf.org
> Subject: [Ips] association reasonably limited, not yet everywhere
> 
> Hello IP Storage folk,
> 
>  >  RFC 4018
> Are there relevant iSCSI FAQ's that I should have already reviewed?
> 
> Is "association" the correct jargon for this well-known 
> design issue in 
> the iSCSI context?
> 
> "One of the sought-after characteristics of mobile and ubiquitous 
> various spoofing and replay attacks ...  Network-discovery systems such 
> as Jini ... and the Service Location Protocol ... two-button protocol ... 
> Diffie-Hellman[-Merkle] key exchange ..." T. Kindberg & K. Zhang, 2002
>