Subject: [Ips] Few queries related to RFC3720

From: Rohan Sen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:07:22 +0530

Hello,

To what value should the Initiator Task Tag (ITT) field of aTask
Management Response PDU be set ? Should it be the Ref Task Tag of the
Task Management Request or the ITT of the Task Management Request ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What should we expect from a Target as Reject Reason if it receives a
Logout Request with non zero length. Should the reason be Protocol
Error or should it be Invalid PDU Field ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there any other resource on ISCSI where I can get a simpler
description related to connection reinstatement ? I am finding it
quite difficult to understand it from the RFC.

Any help on these above topic would be highly appreciated.
-- 
thanks,
Rohan Sen

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:26:05 -0400

> Task Management Request or the ITT of the Task Management Request ?

The latter.  The ITT is used by the initiator to match tasks sent
to the target with target responses, and hence needs to be set to
the ITT of the Task Management Request.  If the Task Management
Request does something to the referenced task (not always the case),
the results of that will be visible via other means  (e.g., that
task sends a Response with unsuccessful status).

> Error or should it be Invalid PDU Field ?

I presume this asks about an initiator not abiding by this text from
RFC 3720:

10.14.2.  TotalAHSLength and DataSegmentLength

   For this PDU TotalAHSLength and DataSegmentLength MUST be 0

The MUST makes this a Protocol Error.  Invalid PDU Field is for
doing something that is allowed by the protocol but using a bad
value as indicated in Note 2 in section 10.17.1 .  I think there's
some possibility for overlap between Protocol Error and Invalid
PDU field, but don't think that should be a major issue, as either
reason code in a Reject should be enough to tell the Initiator
that it has fouled up, and nothing useful happened as a result.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------