Subject: [Ips] Connection Reinstatement as per RFC3720

From: Rohan Sen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:26:28 +0530

For connection reinstatement on the client side, section 5.3.4 and
5.3.5 it states that,
"The Login Request performs
   the logout function of the old connection if an explicit logout was
   not performed earlier."
This does not speak anything about the state of the older connection,
i.e,. whether it torn down or not.

But again in the finite state machine diagram in section 7.1.3, it
seems that the connection closure in imperative (identified by
transiiton T15/T16) for transiting to CLEANUP_WAIT state which I
understood is a MUST for any attempt for connection reinstatement
(which is very obvious also).

So, once the connection is no longer there, we need to open a new
connection (over TCP) with the Target and send Login Request PDU. The
only difference in this Login Request can be the value of the 'TSIH'
field which MUST be set to zero for connection reinstatement.

Will it be wrong if I assume that it is this field only which
determines whether the Login Request is for a new connection or
connection reinstatement ?
-- 
thanks,
Rohan Sen

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: William Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:55:23 -0700

> field which MUST be set to zero for connection reinstatement.

No. A TSIH of zero indicates SESSION reinstatement, not connection 
reinstatement.

> connection reinstatement ?

Yes. See the table in section 5.3.1 which indicates what TSIH/ISID and 
CID values indicate what.

Connection reinstatement happens when the ISID, TSIH, and CID of the 
new connection match an existing connection.

Take care,

Bill