Subject: RE: [Ips] configuration and location mechanisms

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:01:06 -0400

Steve,
 
Your sense of the functionality difference between SLP and iSNS is
correct, but your inference of their history is not.  All three of
the iSCSI discovery (aka 'configuration and location') mechanisms,
Send Targets, SLP, and iSNS, were developed in parallel around the
same time.
 
The rationale for specifying both iSNS and SLP is that SLP is a
discovery-only basic configuration mechanism that reuses an existing
protocol (SLP) and hence may involve less infrastructure deployment
than iSNS's more comprehensive functionality that involves a new
protocol.
 
At the moment, I believe there is more interest in iSNS than SLP,
but the most important factor is what the implementation(s) you
want to work with support and intend to support.
 
Thanks,
--David
---------------------------------------------------- 
David L. Black, Senior Technologist 
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748 
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786 
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754 
---------------------------------------------------- 

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Yackey, Steve
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 8:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ips] configuration and location mechanisms

I am trying to understand where some of the iSCSI 'configuration and
location' mechanisms fit into an iSCSI deployment, including security
information. Particularly, SLP and iSNS.

It is my sense that: 

- SLP is an older mechanism utilized as a means to locate targets and
optionally as: a means to identify initiators allowed access; a repository
of CHAP credentials. A much more limited set of information than iSNS.

- iSNS, on the other hand, ala rfc4171, seems to comprehensively specify
iSCSI operational configuration information; target/initiator, CHAP and
IPSec settings. Being more complete, iSNS would then offer the greater
opportunity for interoperabiltiy among iSCSI implementations.

So in looking at these two it seems that SLP is where the industry has been;
iSNS is where its going. 

Is this the general sense of things ?? 

Thanks in advance, 
Steve 

Steve Yackey 
EMC2 Corporation 
1401 Main Street, Suite 350 
Columbia, SC 29201 
803-231-2632 

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: "Kevin Gibbons" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:44:02 -0700

Steve,

David did a good job of summarizing the background of each method.

The iSNS protocol was developed to provide mechanisms for iSCSI storage
management that are similar to what, over time, were found to be useful
for fibre channel based storage area network fabrics.

Regards, Kevin

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 6:01 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ips] configuration and location mechanisms

Steve,

Thanks,
--David

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Yackey, Steve
	Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 8:39 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Ips] configuration and location mechanisms

	I am trying to understand where some of the iSCSI 'configuration
and location' mechanisms fit into an iSCSI deployment, including
security information. Particularly, SLP and iSNS.

	It is my sense that:

	- SLP is an older mechanism utilized as a means to locate
targets and optionally as: a means to identify initiators allowed
access; a repository of CHAP credentials. A much more limited set of
information than iSNS.

	- iSNS, on the other hand, ala rfc4171, seems to comprehensively
specify iSCSI operational configuration information; target/initiator,
CHAP and IPSec settings. Being more complete, iSNS would then offer the
greater opportunity for interoperabiltiy among iSCSI implementations.

	So in looking at these two it seems that SLP is where the
industry has been; iSNS is where its going.

	Thanks in advance,
	Steve

	Steve Yackey
	EMC2 Corporation

SPECIAL NOTICE

All information transmitted hereby is intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named above and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
of confidential and privileged information is prohibited. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient(s) or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and that disclosure,
copying, printing, distribution or use of any of the information contained
in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Anyone who receives confidential and privileged information in error should
notify us immediately by telephone and mail the original message to us at
the above address and destroy all copies.  To the extent any portion of this
communication contains public information, no such restrictions apply to that
information. (gate02)