Subject: [Ips] Protocol Action: 'Definitions of Managed Objects for iFCP' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:58:03 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Definitions of Managed Objects for iFCP '
   <draft-ietf-ips-ifcp-mib-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Storage Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-ifcp-mib-07.txt

Technical Summary

   The iFCP protocol can be used by FC to IP based storage gateways for 
   FCP storage interconnects.

   The iFCP MIB Module is designed to allow SNMP to be used to monitor 
   and manage local iFCP gateway instances, including the configuration 
   of iFCP sessions between gateways.

Working Group Summary
 
 The working group and the FC standards organization supported
  this MIB development, as well as the revisions under review.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 Keith McLoghrie is the MIB Advisor for the IPS working group and
 gave guidance in the document's development.  Bert Wijnen was the MIB
 Doctor and gave intensive reviews.  The FC industry makes use 
 of this technology, so there has been interim implementation.

 The Responsible Area Director was Allison Mankin.  David Black was
 the WG Chair shepherd.

Notes to RFC Editor

Please make the following two changes to:
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-ifcp-mib-07.txt

1) On page 11, Section 4, change FROM:

    "An entry in the session table."
        INDEX { ifcpLclGtwyInstIndex, ifcpSessionIndex }
        ::= {ifcpSessionAttributesTable 1}

TO:

    "Each entry contains information about one iFCP session consisting
    of a pair of N_PORTs joined by a single TCP/IP connection.  This
    table's INDEX includes ifcpLclGtwyInstIndex which identifies the
    local iFCP Gateway instance which created the session for the
    entry.

    Soon after an entry is created in this table for an iFCP session, it
    will correspond to an entry in the tcpConnectionTable of the TCP-MIB
    (RFC 4022).  The corresponding entry might represent a pre-existing
    TCP connection, or it might be a newly-created entry.  (Note that if
    IPv4 is being used, an entry in RFC 2012's tcpConnTable may also
    correspond.)  The values of ifcpSessionLclPrtlAddrType and
    ifcpSessionRmtPrtlIfAddrType in this table and the values of
    tcpConnectionLocalAddressType and tcpConnectionRemAddressType used
    as INDEX values for the corresponding entry in the tcpConnectionTable
    should be the same; this makes it simpler to locate a session's TCP
    connection in the TCP-MIB.  (Of course, all four values need to be
    'ipv4' if there's a corresponding entry in the tcpConnTable.)

    If an entry is created in this table for a session, prior to
    knowing which local and/or remote port numbers will be used for
    the TCP connection, then ifcpSessionLclPrtlTcpPort and/or
    ifcpSessionRmtPrtlTcpPort have the value zero until such time as
    they can be updated to the port numbers (to be) used for the
    connection.  (Thus, a port value of zero should not be used to
    locate a session's TCP connection in the TCP-MIB.)

    When the TCP connection terminates, the entry in the
    tcpConnectionTable and the entry in this table both get deleted
    (and, if applicable, so does the entry in the tcpConnTable)."
        INDEX { ifcpLclGtwyInstIndex, ifcpSessionIndex }
        ::= {ifcpSessionAttributesTable 1}

2) On page 21, Section 4, change FROM:

                        } 
       ::= {ifcpCompliances 1} 

TO: 

                        } 

           OBJECT      ifcpSessionLclPrtlAddrType
           SYNTAX      InetAddressType { ipv4(1), ipv6(2) }
           DESCRIPTION
                  "Support is only required for global IPv4
                  and IPv6 address types."

           OBJECT      ifcpSessionRmtPrtlIfAddrType
           SYNTAX      InetAddressType { ipv4(1), ipv6(2) }
           DESCRIPTION
                  "Support is only required for global IPv4
                  and IPv6 address types."

       ::= {ifcpCompliances 1}

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips