Subject: [Ips] configuration and location mechanisms

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:39:13 -0400

I am trying to understand where some of the iSCSI 'configuration and
location' mechanisms fit into an iSCSI deployment, including security
information. Particularly, SLP and iSNS.

It is my sense that:

- SLP is an older mechanism utilized as a means to locate targets and
optionally as: a means to identify initiators allowed access; a repository
of CHAP credentials. A much more limited set of information than iSNS.

- iSNS, on the other hand, ala rfc4171, seems to comprehensively specify
iSCSI operational configuration information; target/initiator, CHAP and
IPSec settings. Being more complete, iSNS would then offer the greater
opportunity for interoperabiltiy among iSCSI implementations.

So in looking at these two it seems that SLP is where the industry has been;
iSNS is where its going. 

Is this the general sense of things ??

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Steve Yackey
EMC2 Corporation
1401 Main Street, Suite 350
Columbia, SC 29201
803-231-2632

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: Julian Satran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:07:34 +0200

Regarding storage and the present status your statement about completeness 
is probably correct. And iSNS AFAIK covers both iSCSI and FCP. However SLP 
has broader coverage (covers many types of service) and stands a good 
chance to get updated as people use it in many areas. So I would not jump 
on categorizing SLP as "where the industry has been". Combined with other 
widely deployed technologies it may offer those aiming at a "common" 
solution for Networking and Storage in the Data Center exactly what they 
are looking for. On the other hand if  your interest is limited to storage 
iSNS is probably a good match.

Now place your bets :-)

Julo

[email-masked] 
Sent by: [email-masked]
10-10-05 14:39

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
[Ips] configuration and location mechanisms

So in looking at these two it seems that SLP is where the industry has 
been; iSNS is where its going. 

Steve Yackey 
EMC2 Corporation