Subject: [Ips] Question regarding SessionType

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:42:04 -0500

rfc3720 section 5.3 states:

The initial login request of the first connection of a session MAY also
include the SessionType key=value pair.

The use of the word 'MAY' here is bothersome.   Does this mean that an
initiator may leave out the session type in the first request but then
explicitly specify it later?  This seems possible but very annoying.  For
example:

During Security stage it seems that an initiator could leave out SessionType
but specify a TargetName=<something>.   Later during operational stage the
initiator could specify SessionType=Discovery.  It seems that this is
allowed.

Currently I am assuming that if the SessionType is not specified in the
initial login request of the first connection that the initiator is
implicitly negotiating for SessionType=Normal.   In this case I wont send
SessionType=Normal in a response PDU but I will assume that SessionType has
been negotiated to its default value of Normal.   I regard seeing
SessionType in any subsequent LoginRequest PDU as an error.  

Bill

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips