Subject: RE: [Ips] iSER: draft-ietf-ips-iser-05.txt

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:51:52 -0800

Sanjay,
One of the reasons that I, for one, thought this approach was a good
idea was that I felt that it was possible that a software version of
iWARP could be made available.  Even though it might not be appropriate
for Server to Server communications, it might be very useful for
workstations (desktops/laptops) to use software iWARP when communicating
to a server that has and RNIC.

In the workstation to iWARP server situation, the workstation often has
all the MIPS it needs for this operation, and though not efficient for
the workstation to use software iWARP (probably no one will notice
anyway), it enables server efficiencies since the server can use iWARP
via its RNIC.  

The same thought is appropriate when the workstation (Initiator) is
contacting a Storage (Target) system that might have an RNIC.  In that
case the Initiator might prefer to use normal iSCSI, but the Target
would prefer to use iSER.

In other situations with RNICs, some vendors are producing RNICs that
also support native iSCSI (especially if they want to sell product
today).  These RNICs can often support iSCSI as well as iSER.  In some
cases, the iSCSI path has been optimized for that specific task, and
will operate as well as, or perhaps in some cases better than iSER
(depending on the implementation and HW used). 

.
.
.
John L Hufferd
Sr. Executive Director of Technology
Brocade Communications Systems, Inc
[email-masked]
Office Phone: (408) 333-5244; eFAX: (408) 904-4688
Alt Office Phone: (408) 997-6136; Cell: (408) 627-9606

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Mike Ko
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:15 AM
To: Sanjay Goyal
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ips] iSER: draft-ietf-ips-iser-05.txt

Sanjay,

The initiator may well reject the RDMAExtensions offer from the target, 
but we don't want to preclude the possibility that the initiator might 
want to accommodate the target and choose to support iSER instead.

Mike
To:     "Mike Ko" <[email-masked]>
cc:     <[email-masked]> 
Subject:        RE: [Ips] iSER: draft-ietf-ips-iser-05.txt

Mike,

I understand that, the point I was trying to make was if Initiator
prefers 
iSCSI mode, why would it change its mind after it gets  RDMAExtensions
key from Target.

-Sanjay

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips