Subject: [Ips] Submission of X#NodeArchitecture as Internet-Draft

From: David Wysochanski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:27:50 -0500

Hi David,

Per our conversation in San Jose, do you have any objections to
my submitting version 00 of this document as an IPS WG
Internet-Draft?

I would like to submit very soon, as the March IETF meeting
deadlines are quickly approaching (WG chair approval cutoff
for v00 document submissions is Feb 20, and final deadline
for v00 submissions is Feb 27).

Thanks for your time.
IP Storage Working Group                             Dave Wysochanski
Internet-Draft                                 Network Appliance, Inc
Expires: July 1, 2006                                February 1, 2006

      Declarative Public Extension Key to Enhance iSCSI Supportability
                  draft-ietf-ips-xkey-iscsi-support-00.txt

Status of this Memo 

     By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents 
     that any applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or 
     she is aware have been or will be disclosed, and any of which 
     he or she becomes aware will be disclosed, in accordance with 
     Section 6 of BCP 79. 

     Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet 
     Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working 
     groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute working 
     documents as Internet-Drafts. 

     Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of 
     six months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by 
     other documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use 
     Internet-Drafts as reference material or to cite them other 
     than as "work in progress." 

     The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at 
     http://www.ietf.org/1id-abstracts.html 

     The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed 
     at http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.  

     This Internet-Draft will expire on July 1, 2006.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).

Abstract

     RFC 3270 defines the iSCSI protocol and allows for extension
     items to the protocol in the form of Private or Public Extension
     Keys.  This Internet-Draft describes a Public Extension Key for
     the purpose of enhancing iSCSI supportability.  The key
     accomplishes this objective by allowing iSCSI nodes to
     communicate architecture details during the iSCSI login
     sequence.  The receiving node can then use this information
     for enhanced logging and support.

Wysochanski                 Expires July 1, 2006            [Page  1] 


Internet-Draft          iSCSI Supportability           February 2006
 
1.  Introduction

1.1  Terminology

     The key words "MUST," "MUST NOT," "REQUIRED," "SHALL," "SHALL NOT,"
     "SHOULD," "SHOULD NOT," "RECOMMENDED," "MAY," and "OPTIONAL" in
     this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC2119.

1.2  Overview

     This Internet-Draft describes a declarative Public Extension
     Key as defined by section 12.22 of RFC 3720 that may be used to
     communicate additional iSCSI node information to the opposite
     node in a session.  The information carried in the described
     key has been found to be valuable in real iSCSI customer
     environments as initiator and target vendors collaborate to
     resolve technical issues and better understand the evolving
     iSCSI market.

     The key has been modelled after the "Server" and "User-Agent"
     header fields as specified in sections 14.38 and 14.43 of RFC
     2616, with the text-value(s) of the key roughly equivalent to
     Product Tokens in section 3.8 of RFC 2616.  Note however that
     the text-value(s) in the keys list-of-values MUST conform to
     the Text Format as specified in section 5.1 of RFC 3720.

     The following described Public Extension Key is sent during
     the login phase of an iSCSI normal session.  It is important
     to note that the proper use of this key is to provide enhanced
     logging and support capabilities, and for better understanding
     of customer environments.  The key MUST NOT be used by iSCSI
     nodes for things such as interoperability, performance,
     exclusion or deception of other nodes, or other uses not
     defined here.  To enforce proper use, iSCSI nodes MUST NOT
     allow user modification of the key value(s), and SHOULD set
     the value automatically based on standard internal interfaces.

Wysochanski                 Expires July 1, 2006            [Page  2] 


Internet-Draft          iSCSI Supportability           February 2006

2.  Definition

     The definition of the proposed key is as follows, with example
     text-values conforming to section 5.1 of RFC 3720.

X#NodeArchitecture

     Use: LO, Declarative
     Senders: Initiator and Target
     Scope: SW

     X#NodeArchitecture=<list-of-values>

     Examples:

        X#NodeArchitecture="iscsi-vendor-software/1.2.3.4,os/1.2.3.4"
        X#NodeArchitecture="iscsi-vendor-hardware/1.2.3.4,
                            iscsi-vendor-firmware/1.2.3.4,
                            os/1.2.3.4,cpu-type-x,cpu-speed/2.0ghz"

     The initiator or target declares the details of its iSCSI node
     architecture to the remote endpoint.  These details may include,
     but are not limited to, iSCSI vendor software, firmware, or
     hardware versions, the OS version, or hardware architecture.

     X#NodeArchitecture MUST NOT be redeclared.

Wysochanski                 Expires July 1, 2006            [Page  3] 


Internet-Draft          iSCSI Supportability           February 2006
 
3.  Security Considerations 

     In certain environments where security is a primary concern,
     the use of this extension key may not be appropriate as it
     reveals specific details about an iSCSI node. For these
     environments, nodes implementing this public extension key
     SHOULD provide a method to disable sending the key.

 
Wysochanski                 Expires July 1, 2006            [Page  4] 


Internet-Draft          iSCSI Supportability           February 2006
 
4.  IANA Considerations 

     This document serves as the specification for the iSCSI 
     Extension Key NodeArchitecture.

 
Wysochanski                 Expires July 1, 2006            [Page  5] 


Internet-Draft          iSCSI Supportability           February 2006
 
5.  References

5.1  Normative References 

     [RFC3720] Satran, J., Meth, K., Sapuntzakis, C., Chadalapaka, 
          M., and E. Zeidner, "Internet Small Computer Systems 
          Interface (iSCSI)", RFC 3720, April 2004. 

     [RFC2119] Bradner, S. "Key Words for use in RFCs to Indicate 
          Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.  

5.2  Informative References 

     [RFC2616] Fielding, R., Gettys, J., Mogul, J., Frystyk, H.,
          Masinter, L., Leach, P., and T. Berners-Lee, 
          "Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1", RFC 2616,
          June 1999.

 
 
Wysochanski                 Expires July 1, 2006            [Page  6] 


Internet-Draft          iSCSI Supportability           February 2006
 
6.  Author's Address 

     Dave Wysochanski
     Network Appliance, Inc.
     7301 Kit Creek Road
     P. O. Box 13917
     Research Triangle, NC 27709
     Phone: +1-919-476-5628
     E-mail: [email-masked]

 
Wysochanski                 Expires July 1, 2006            [Page  7] 


Internet-Draft          iSCSI Supportability           February 2006
 
7.  Acknowledgements 

     The IP Storage (ips) Working Group in the Transport Area of 
     IETF has been responsible for defining the iSCSI protocol 
     (apart from a host of other relevant IP Storage protocols).  
     The editor acknowledges the contributions of the entire 
     working group.   

     The following individuals directly contributed to identifying 
     issues and/or suggesting resolutions to the issues found in this
     document: David Black, Paul Koning, Julian Satran, John Hufferd,
     Claire Kraft, Ranga Sankar, Joseph Pittman, Greg Berg, and
     John Forte. This document benefited from all these contributions. 

 
Wysochanski                 Expires July 1, 2006            [Page  8] 


Internet-Draft          iSCSI Supportability           February 2006
 
8.  Full Copyright Statement 

     Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).  This document is 
     subject to the rights, licenses and restrictions contained in 
     BCP 78, and except as set forth therein, the authors retain 
     all their rights.  

     This document and the information contained herein are 
     provided on an "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE 
     ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), 
     THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE 
     DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT 
     NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION 
     HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES 
     OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. 

 
Wysochanski                 Expires July 1, 2006            [Page  9] 


Internet-Draft          iSCSI Supportability           February 2006
 
9.  Intellectual Property Statement  

      The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of    
      any Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might 
      be claimed to pertain to the implementation or use of the 
      technology described in this document or the extent to which 
      any license under such rights might or might not be 
      available; nor does it represent that it has made any 
      independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information 
      on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can 
      be found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.  

      Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and 
      any assurances of licenses to be made available, or the 
      result of an attempt made to obtain a general license or 
      permission for the use of such proprietary rights by 
      implementers or users of this specification can be obtained 
      from the IETF on-line IPR repository at http://www.ietf.org/ipr.  

      The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its 
      attention any copyrights, patents or patent applications, 
      or other proprietary rights that may cover technology that 
      may be required to implement this standard.  Please address 
      the information to the IETF at [email-masked].  

 
Wysochanski                 Expires July 1, 2006            [Page 10] 


_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:57:40 -0500

David,

I prefer to see it as an individual submission that the WG can
then choose to adopt or not.  Please send it in as an individual
submission (i.e., draft-wysochanski-...), and I'll make sure
it's on the IPS agenda for March.  Among the reasons for doing this
is that it avoids putting the Area Director (i.e., my talking to
her in her non-existent "copious spare time") in the critical
path for you submitting the draft.

Thanks,
--David (ips WG chair)
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Wysochanski [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:28 PM
> To: Black, David
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Submission of X#NodeArchitecture as Internet-Draft
> 
> Hi David,
>