Subject: [Ips] iSCSI- duplicate initiator name

From: "Inbal Zilbershmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:53:38 +0200

Hello,
 
Maybe someone can help me:
 
I wanted to know how a target should react in a case when an initiator
trying to connect to it, has the same name as other initiator already
connected.
 
Thanks,
 
Inbal ,
Voltaire Ltd.

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:00:44 -0800

The important question is how do you know it is another initiator.  If
it has the same name it could be from any portal on the Initiator
system.  The initiator name applies to the Whole OS.  In fact it can
also apply to a whole cluster that acts as a system coupled system.  So
if it passes the authentication tests, it is assumed to be from that OS,
and multiple Sessions from the same OS is OK.  

.

.

.

John L Hufferd

Sr. Executive Director of Technology

Brocade Communications Systems, Inc

[email-masked]

Office Phone: (408) 333-5244; eFAX: (408) 904-4688

Alt Office Phone: (408) 997-6136; Cell: (408) 627-9606

  _____  

From: Inbal Zilbershmidt [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 10:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ips] iSCSI- duplicate initiator name

Hello,

Thanks,

Inbal ,

Voltaire Ltd.

---

From: "John Hufferd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:44:25 -0800

All leading connections from the same OS should have the same Initiator
Name.  Each one is a separate I-T Nexus.  Each one will have a different
ISID.

.

.

.

John L Hufferd

[email-masked]

  _____  

From: Inbal Zilbershmidt [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:34 AM
To: John Hufferd; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ips] iSCSI- duplicate initiator name

Is it possible to have 2 leading connections from the same initiator?
Isn't a session implies an IT nexus?

As I understood, it is possible to have multiple connections in a single
session.

My question was regarding to a 2nd leading connection from a certain
initiator name. I caused such situation by giving two different
initiators the same name.

I wanted to know how should I deal with such case.

Thanks,

Inbal ,

Voltaire Ltd.

  _____  

From: John Hufferd [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:01 AM
To: Inbal Zilbershmidt; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ips] iSCSI- duplicate initiator name

.

.

.

John L Hufferd

[email-masked]

  _____  

Hello,

Thanks,

Inbal ,

Voltaire Ltd.