Subject: RE: [Ips] Target Behavior Clarifications

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:07:01 -0500

Sanjay,

  Thanks.

 There seems to be an inconsistency in the spec in terms of how the
target is expected to behave when it detects initiator behavior that is
not in line with the negotiated operational parameters. As per the spec
if the target receives any non-immediate unsolicited data when
InitialR2T=Yes, it shall fail the command with a CHECK CONDITION
(0B/0C/0C - COMMAND ABORTED, WRITE ERROR - UNEXPECTED UNSOLICITED DATA)
- Why is this a special case?

Thanks,

Jacob

________________________________

From: Sanjay Goyal [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 5:53 PM
To: Cherian, Jacob; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ips] Target Behavior Clarifications

Hi,

What it indicates is that the other side is misbehaving. It should be
treated as protocol error and the session should be terminated.

-Sanjay

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 2:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ips] Target Behavior Clarifications

A couple of quick questions?

1) What should the behavior of a target be if it receives a PDU on a
connection, larger than what it declared with MaxRecvDataSegmentLength:

- If the PDU is part of a SCSI command? 

- If the PDU is part of a login?

2) What should the target behaviour be if the initiator sends it more
data than MaxBurstLength?

3) What should the target behavior be if the initiator sends more data
than FirstBurstLength?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jacob

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: Julian Satran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:12:12 +0300

As far as I remember this was done to keep in line with FCP behavior (FCP 
has no immediate data but can operate with unsolicited data).

Julo

<[email-masked]> wrote on 18/04/2006 02:07:01:

> target is expected to behave when it detects initiator behavior that
> is not in line with the negotiated operational parameters. As per 
> the spec if the target receives any non-immediate unsolicited data 
> when InitialR2T=Yes, it shall fail the command with a CHECK 
> CONDITION (0B/0C/0C ? COMMAND ABORTED, WRITE ERROR - UNEXPECTED 
> UNSOLICITED DATA) ? Why is this a special case?
> 
> Thanks,
> Jacob
> 
> 
> What it indicates is that the other side is misbehaving. It should 
> be treated as protocol error and the session should be terminated.
> 
> -Sanjay
> 
> 
> 2) What should the target behaviour be if the initiator sends it 
> more data than MaxBurstLength?
than 
> FirstBurstLength?