Subject: [Ips] Receiving a SCSI response after abort task was sent

From: Erez Zilber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 13:48:16 +0300

Hi,

I have a question about aborting tasks: when an initiator sends "abort
task" to the target, it is possible that the target will send a SCSI
response for the same task before receiving the abort task (I guess
that the target won't send a task management response for the abort
task). What should the initiator do with the SCSI response? Is the host
that issued the abort task willing to receive a SCSI response for that
task? Is it willing to receive only a task management response for the
abort task?

This message was also sent to linux-scsi mailing list.

Thanks

--

____________________________________________________________

Erez
Zilber   |  972-9-971-7689

Software
Engineer, Storage Team

Voltaire
– The Grid Backbone

www.voltaire.com

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: Julian Satran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 19:19:43 +0300

Erez Zilber <[email-masked]> wrote on 02/07/2006 13:48:16:

> Hi,
> 
> I have a question about aborting tasks: when an initiator sends 
> "abort task" to the target, it is possible that the target will send
> a SCSI response for the same task before receiving the abort task (I
> guess that the target won't send a task management response for the 
> abort task). 

That can happen - however the target has to send the response to task 
management.

> What should the initiator do with the SCSI response? 
> Is the host that issued the abort task willing to receive a SCSI 
> response for that task? Is it willing to receive only a task 
> management response for the abort task?
> 

It has to be ready to get a SCSI response BEFORE the task abort report.
It may react badly if it receives a SCSI response AFTER the task abort 
response (that is forbidden by SCSI).

> Erez Zilber   |  972-9-971-7689
> Software Engineer, Storage Team
> Voltaire ? The Grid Backbone
> 
>  www.voltaire.com