Subject: [Ips] iSCSI naming conventions

From: "Vishal Study" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:28:20 -0800

Hi:

I understand that there are two types of naming conventions in iSCSI:
IQN and EUI.

Could someone please help me with following questions:
- Should a iSCSI device (target/initiator) support both or just one?
- Which naming convention is more common and popular?
- Can an IQN-based initiator talk to EUI-based target and vice-versa?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Vishal.

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: "Sandars, Ken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:58:26 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Vishal Study [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, 13 January 2007 12:28
To: ips
Subject: [Ips] iSCSI naming conventions

Hi:

I understand that there are two types of naming conventions in iSCSI:
IQN and EUI.
[Ken] There is a third type called NAA [RFC 3980].

Could someone please help me with following questions:
- Should a iSCSI device (target/initiator) support both or just one?
[Ken] The implementer is free to choose the node names created by the
implementation. However, if you want your implementation to work with
other systems it will need to understand all possible naming methods
used by the other nodes.

- Which naming convention is more common and popular?
[Ken] IQN provides a more human-readable format, but can get very
lengthy. EUI is more succinct but is gobbledy-gook to look at. Same for
NAA.

[Ken] Yes.