Subject: [Ips] throttling the initiator

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:09:11 -0500

As resources become scarce I would like to throttle the initiator back. I thought about reducing MaxCmdSN but if I do that the initiator will just ignore it. I am wondering how others do this.

Eddy

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:42:18 -0500

>>>>> "Eddy" == Eddy Quicksall <[email-masked]> writes:

 Eddy> As resources become scarce I would like to throttle the
 Eddy> initiator back. I thought about reducing MaxCmdSN but if I do
 Eddy> that the initiator will just ignore it. 

...or call it a protocol error...

That's the problem with flow control in most protocols: once you sent
out permission to transmit, you can't take it back.

So the best you can do is throttle back the initiator by not sending
it as much new credit when it uses up what you gave it already.
That's generally ok; if the initiator is transmitting you can do this,
and if it's not transmitting it's not using up resources anyway.

    paul