Subject: [Ips] updating iSNS registration for portal IP address change

From: "Paul Hughes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:20:35 -0600

I am trying to determine the proper way to update an iSNS server when
the IP address of an iSCSI target port changes.  In my case, I have a
multi-ported iSCSI target that registers a single Storage Node object
and multiple Portal and Portal Group objects.

One method is to re-register the entire Network Entity using DevAttrReg
with the replace flag set.  This method seems rather disruptive as SCNs
will be generated for the de-registered objects and additional SCNs are
generated for registration of the new objects.  I assume this means that
iSCSI initiators in the target's Discovery Domain might logout all
sessions with the target's portals only to re-login a short time later.
Is this true?  I'd like to avoid causing logouts on any portals that
retain their original IP address.

Alternately, I can de-register the Portal object for the old IP address
of the target port using DevDereg and then register a new Portal object
for the new IP address using DevAttrReg.  However, I don't believe it's
possible to de-register the old Portal Group objects without
de-registering the Storage Node object.  In my case, I believe that
de-registering the Storage Node object would be as disruptive as doing a
replacement registration of the entity, since the target has only one
Storage Node object associated with all of its portal groups.

Thanks for any help on this.

Paul

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: Victor Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:22:50 +0800

Paul Hughes wrote:
> One method is to re-register the entire Network Entity using 
> DevAttrReg with the replace flag set. This method seems rather 
> disruptive as SCNs will be generated for the de-registered objects and 
> additional SCNs are generated for registration of the new objects. I 
> assume this means that iSCSI initiators in the target's Discovery 
> Domain might logout all sessions with the target's portals only to 
> re-login a short time later. Is this true? I'd like to avoid causing 
> logouts on any portals that retain their original IP address.
>
> Alternately, I can de-register the Portal object for the old IP 
> address of the target port using DevDereg and then register a new 
> Portal object for the new IP address using DevAttrReg. However, I 
> don’t believe it's possible to de-register the old Portal Group 
> objects without de-registering the Storage Node object.
>
It seems this is the only way with minimal effort. The old Portal Group 
objects will become dummy objects and remain in the server before the 
Storage Node or Network Entity object is de-registered. But if you 
change the IP address of the target portal back, you will just need to 
re-register the Portal object, no need to re-register the Portal Group 
object, the old one will be re-used.

Regards,
Victor
>
> In my case, I believe that de-registering the Storage Node object 
> would be as disruptive as doing a replacement registration of the 
> entity, since the target has only one Storage Node object associated 
> with all of its portal groups.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>