Subject: RE: [Ipsec] !!! PLEASE STOP SPAMMING VIRUSES !!!

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:17:47 -0700

> Indeed, the only thing which the apparent senders have at fault is
> being associated with people who have the bad taste to use a Microsoft
> Outlook or Outlook Express.

That is untrue. The viruses don't just use the address book any more,
that is somewhat harder than it once was. These days a lot of 
viruses scan the messages themselves or documents on the person's
computer.

> We are filtering something like 400-500 Spam and virus messages A DAY
> being sent to the ipsec mailing list.  It's only the ones which match
> valid recipients of the ipsec mailing list (and e-mail address on the
> white list) that are getting through.

Are bounce messages sent when a virus is discovered? If so you may well
be spamming the person. I get several hundred virus bounce messages 
every day, as if the virus scanners did not know that the viruses 
almost all forge email addresses these days.

There is more than enough blame to go round for the virus problem.
Please do not try to lay everything at the door of your competitors.

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 16:34:49 -0400

> almost all forge email addresses these days.

No, I MANUALLY review the subject lines of all of said mail messages
(usually every day, but sometimes travel forces me to skip a day or
so), and allow any false positives to be sent on to their destination.
(I then put the sender address of said false positive on the
whitelist.)  All spam/virus mail is then silently dropped.

> Please do not try to lay everything at the door of your competitors.

I read my mail on Linux, and am quite positive that I haven't done
anything to contribute to the problem.  In fact, as a member of the
security community, I remember agitating against the sort of rampant
featuritis that make e-mail virii possible, a full decade or more ago.
But of course, no one in the American Northwest bothered to listen to
those of us who saw this problem coming a long, long, LONG time ago.

But this has very little to do with IPSEC, so please take any replies
to this off-list, please.

						- Ted