Subject: [Ipsec] draft-ietf-ipsec-rfc2401bis-02.txt

From: "Krell, Sherry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:04:24 -0700

I just wanted to make sure I understand the difference between this
draft and RFC2401, with regards to IPv6 and IPSec.  Section 10 of
RFC2401 states that all IPv6 implementations MUST comply with all
requirements of RFC 2401.  Section 9 of the draft states that all IPv6
implementations claiming to implement IPSec MUST comply with all
requirements of the draft.  So IPSec is no longer required for IPv6
implementations?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sherry Krell
Design Engineer, IPG Connectivity
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Phone: (916) 785-1090 
8000 Foothills Blvd, MS 5665, Roseville, CA, 95747
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:30:52 -0400

At 2:04 PM -0700 5/11/04, Krell, Sherry wrote:
>requirements of RFC 2401.  Section 9 of the draft states that all 
>IPv6 implementations claiming to implement IPSec MUST comply with 
>all requirements of the draft.  So IPSec is no longer required for 
>IPv6 implementations?
>

I'm sure the text in 2401bis does not use the term IPSec, except to 
state that this is not an approved way to refer to these protocols :-)

There seems to have been a typo introduced in the posted version. The 
text I reviewed and that I have on my computer says (in section 10, 
not 9):

All IPv4 systems that claim to implement IPsec MUST comply with all
requirements of the Security Architecture document.  All IPv6 systems 
MUST comply with all requirements of the Security Architecture 
document.

So, we'll make sure the above text is in the next version.

Steve

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:30:52 -0400

Steve

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 18:39:30 -0400

Sherry,

As you noted, the currently posted 2401bis says:

    9. Conformance Requirements

    All IPv4 systems that claim to implement IPsec MUST comply with all
    requirements of this document.  All IPv6 systems that claim to
    implement IPsec MUST comply with all requirements of this document.

This is probably my fault.  I probably changed the 2 sentences to be 
parallel wording without thinking about the fact that IPsec is not 
optional for IPv6 systems.  As Steve says, we'll correct this in the 
next draft.

Karen

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 18:39:30 -0400

Sherry,

Karen