Subject: [Ipsec] new internet draftt - draft-touch-anonsec

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 08:51:52 -0700

Hi, all,

The following I-D is soon to appear in the drafts directory; until then, 
here is the title and abstract, and it is available now at:

	http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/draft-touch-anonsec-00.txt

At this time, I'm soliciting discussion and feedback on both TCPM and 
IPsec mailing lists, where discussion of the issues of IPsec have been 
ongoing. I track both lists; please do NOT cross-post. I'll 
cross-summarize periodically if it proves necessary.

I'd also like to solicit input on in which WG to proceed.

Joe

----

       ANONsec: Anonymous IPsec to Defend Against Spoofing Attacks
                           draft-touch-anonsec

    Recent attacks on core Internet infrastructure indicate an increased
    vulnerability of TCP connections to spurious resets (RSTs).  TCP has
    always been susceptible to such RST spoof attacks, which were
    indirectly protected by checking that the RST sequence number was
    inside the current receive window, as well as via the obfuscation of
    TCP endpoint and port numbers. For pairs of well-known endpoints
    often over predictable port pairs, such as BGP, increases in the path
    bandwidth-delay product of a connection have sufficiently increased
    the receive window space that off-path third parties can guess a
    viable RST sequence number. This document addresses this
    vulnerability, discussing proposed solutions at the transport level
    and their inherent challenges, as well as existing network level
    solutions and the feasibility of their deployment. Finally, it
    proposes an extension to IPsec configuration called ANONsec that
    intends to efficiently and scalably secure any transport protocol
    from such off-path third-party spoofing attacks.

----