Subject: [Ipsec] IPsec for printers?

From: Chang Hu Foo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:44:29 +0800 (CST)

Hi,

I have searched through google and it seems that there
is no IPsec support print jobs transmitted between
file and print servers and printers. Is that true?

Thanks,
Terrence

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Download the latest ringtones, games, and more!
http://sg.mobile.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: Henry Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:24:04 -0400 (EDT)

> file and print servers and printers. Is that true?

IPsec is a general-purpose protocol and there's no need for special
support in it for particular applications.  It would work perfectly well
for protecting transmissions to printers.  This would require that the
printer *implement* IPsec as part of its IP implementation, of course. 

One way to protect transmissions to a non-IPsec-aware printer is to put
Linux (or OpenBSD, etc.) on an old PC (e.g., one that a Microsoft user is
discarding because it's too small and slow to run the latest Windows) and
connect the printer to it, so the printer itself is no longer on a public
network.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       [email-masked]