Subject: [Ipsec] Algorithm numbers mismatch between IPsec and IKE for AES-XCBC-MAC-96

From: Ganesan R <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jul 2004 21:51:25 +0530

RFC 3566 (The AES-XCBC-MAC-96 Algorithm and Its Use With IPsec) says

======
6.  IANA Considerations

   IANA has assigned AH Transform Identifier 9 to AH_AES-XCBC-MAC.  IANA
   has assigned AH/ESP Authentication Algorithm Value 9 to AES-XCBC-MAC.
======

whereas, draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-algorithms-05.txt (Cryptographic Algorithms
for use in the Internet Key Exchange Version 2) says

======
      Name                     Number       Defined In           Status
      NONE                     0
      AUTH_HMAC_MD5_96         1            [RFC2403]            MAY
      AUTH_HMAC_SHA1_96        2            [RFC2404]            MUST
      AUTH_AES_XCBC_96         5            [AES-MAC]            SHOULD+
======

Is there a good reason the values different, especially since the rest of
the IKEv2 algorithm numbers are the same as the ones for ESP?

Ganesan

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec