Subject: Re: [IPsec] Questions on the IPsec performance degration or publicly availble results

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 07:39:37 -0800

On 2/4/11 1:52 AM, Jai-Jin Lim wrote:
> Dear whom it may concern,
> I am wondering if there is any study regarding the performance
> degradation when IPsec is applied to mobile telecommunication networks.
> Or at least, is there any link to the general description regarding the
> performance degradation in terms of the CPU utilization, throughtput
> when IPsec is used for ARM based core processors? If such information is
> not available, could you point me out to any link that helps me out with
> task of assessing the performace degradation caused by the IPsec (with
> H/W encryption and decryptin engine). I have many questions similar to
> the ones above, also one like which operation, encryption or decryption,
> causes more performance degradation?

I know of no such studies I can recommend. Further, I would greatly 
question the generality of any such study if I saw it. Performance in 
different CPUs varies *greatly* depending on the type of instructions 
and register use; this is even true withing sub-types of ARM processors. 
You probably want to do your own study for your specific intended target 
CPU and specific level of CPU optimization.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Jai-Jin Lim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 18:52:25 +0900

I am wondering if there is any study regarding the performance degradation
when IPsec is applied to mobile telecommunication networks. Or at least, is
there any link to the general description regarding the performance
degradation in terms of the CPU utilization, throughtput when IPsec is used
for ARM based core processors? If such information is not available, could
you point me out to any link that helps me out with task of assessing the
performace degradation caused by the IPsec (with H/W encryption and
decryptin engine). I have many questions similar to the ones above, also one
like which operation, encryption or decryption, causes more performance
degradation?

Regards,
--Jj